Feb. 3, 2014 Banned/Restricted Announcement

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, I'm not going to pretend to be surprised, but I was hoping that there'd be change for Legacy, even though there never is. I haven't been very active in the format, but I've followed it since it started and I think it's currently the worst it's ever been, discounting stuff like the brief period when Hulk Flash was a thing. Wizards of the Coast have given up on Legacy, and I'm not sure I can blame them for that. They've made it clear that Reserved List isn't going away (and won't say why that is) and they also aren't reprinting any of the non-reserved, non-Modern cards with inflated prices.

I've been in the process of putting some decks together. All I'd really need to complete the typical Ad Nauseam Tendrils list would be a single Volcanic Island, and that's coming up on $150. I could buy one now, potentially saving some money before it gets any higher, but I'm apprehensive because I don't even know what's going to happen to this format...

Revised Underground Sea will average $200 soon. Force of Will is over around $70 now and Wasteland is closer to $80. Legacy can't grow as a format with barriers to entry like this, and the demand for an inaccessible format can't keep going up. Either these trends will stall out and the format will stagnate once it reaches some cap, or the bubble will burst. Neither of those are appealing eventualities. Starting in 2007, there was a period of a few years in which Legacy and Vintage both got some attention in attempts to balance them. I don't know how much whatever happened internally with regard to the reprint policies played a role, but something changed, so now Legacy and Vintage are being thrown under the bus.