Fastbond

M

mythosx

I just a aqcuired a fastbond and 4 horns of greed. I need to make a fast deck. Any suggestions?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Fastbond is incredibly broken. But if you're only using one in a deck, it does limit your deckbuilding options. Here's the decklist for the original TurboLand deck from the old Extended, just to give you an idea of what Horn of Greed can do...

Card Advantage (22)
4 Thawing Glaciers
4 Impulse
4 Brainstorm
4 Horn of Greed
2 Scroll Rack
3 Crop Rotation
1 Soldevi Excavations

Control (11)
4 Force of Will
4 Counterspell
3 Wasteland

Recursion (5)
3 Time Warp
2 Gaea's Blessing

Stayin' Alive (1)
1 Glacial Chasm

Kill Cards (3)
3 Treetop Village

Mana (18)
4 Tropical Island
4 Forest
6 Island
4 Exploration

Exploration is a good card, but piddling by comparison to Fastbond.

Some other possible card choices for use with Horn of Greed...

Oboro, Palace in the Clouds: bounces itself for more card-drawing when you replay it.

Mishra's Factory: like Treetop Village, but better.

Crucible of Worlds: play lands from your graveyard

Meloku, the Clouded Mirror: more land-bouncing, but with token-generation as a bonus.

Constant Mists: not like you'll run out of land

Gush: especially if you're using Fastbond.

Seismic Assault: possibly alongside Sunder or something.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Fastbond wasn't legal, so yes, it was essentially serving the same purpose. The difference between the two is a bit odd. Fastbond is much, much more explosive, but if you did play with it unrestricted, you'd find that the awesome deck you were using based around Fastbond would work best if you could just draw one Fastbond and combo away with it, never drawing into your other three copies, as they are dead draws (playing them would actually hurt you).

Exploration, on the other hand, gets better with each one you draw. But playing any number of them is really just approaching the performance of one Fastbond without the damage aspect. I've seen some Vintage decks use both cards together in the same deck: four Explorations and one Fastbond. They don't have any synergy with each other, but the Explorations act as a supplement, since they're still accelerating mana production and card advantage (with Horn of Greed).

M

mythosx

Format is vintage. So one fast bond only. I am trying to get some explorations also.

M

mythosx

Nice...i will extrapolate the data and post my incarnation as soon as I am done.