Fantasy Hockey?

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Have any of you played Fantasy Hockey? I did it last year and it was pretty cool. It's plays a lot like Fantasy Baseball, and the way you rotate your starters through the lineup, except you do it for the whole team. I enjoyed it, but then, I finished in 2nd place (I lost in the finals), and, to be honest, I'm actually more of a hockey fan than anything else. :)

Point is - if enough people are interested I'll start us up a league. Are there any takers out there?

T

train

You don't have to know as much about it - when you're playing Fantasy...:D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, aside from letting the draft pick your guys, I'd feel better if I knew how to manage my team, like in football. Otherwise, I could just register a team and let it coast for y'all to get free wins and that's no fun ;)

T

train

Otherwise, I could just register a team and let it coast for y'all to get free wins and that's no fun
It's not?...:p

Didn't you play baseball spidey?...

I got 4th there...

If so - it's the same as baseball...

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm...That doesn't sound ALL bad...LOL!

Seriously though, last year I joined a public league on a lark not knowing what the heck I was doing. I found that I didn't know nearly enough about the NHL in general, but it was fairly easy to catch on to just by looking at the available players and seeing if they were doing better than the guys I had. I let the system draft for me and I got Marion Hossa, Glen Murray, and Eddie Belfour, and a few others, of course, but I basically rode those 3 to victory all season long.

The way it works is, just like you can preview ahead and make sure you have your starters in the lineup on the days they're pitching in baseball you preview ahead and see when you're players have games. You put the guys into the starting lineup when their teams are playing, and take out the guys whose teams are idle. That maximizes your ice time for your players, which translates into more goals, assists, PIM's, etc.

There's actually a bit more managing to it than there is for football, IMHO. In football, once you get into the season (and bye weeks) the hardest part (for me anyway) is keeping a full lineup of quality players from week to week, but once you set your lineup for the next game all you really do is make sure your players injury status doesn't put them on the bench with you all unawares.

In hockey you have more to login and do, which I thought made me feel more involved. It also put me more in touch with the game again, and the players on the other teams around the NHL, which was also nice for me. I doubt you'd get as much out of it as I did though, Spidey, if you're not really a hockey fan, so I'd understand if you didn't want to do it.

train's in. Anybody else? :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm not really interested in hockey. Football's the only sport so far with a fantasy league that I'm interested in.

And I didn't do the baseball league either...

T

train

That'd be one heck of a schedule...:D
We'd have to do free-for-all every week, just so no one sat out every week...