Fangren Firstborn

M

Mikeymike

From Darksteel

Fangren Firstborn
Creature - Beast
1GGG
Rare
Whenever Fangren Firstborn attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on each attacking creature.
In the Tangle, bad is often followed by worse.
4/2

Hubba-freaking-hubba.

The negatives:
- Mandatory GGG in casting costing.
- It is shockable to start

The positives:
- The second its declared a legal attacker it becomes a 5/3 (a la Juggernaut)
- It makes Soltari Champion look like a little leaguer
- Its a beast (literally and figuratively)
- It is a natural aggro creature with a reasonable cost (meaning that it should fit very nicely into an green aggro deck)

Potenial combo ideas
- Making it unblockable/evasive
- Giving it multiple attack steps (Aggravated Asssault, Reckless Assault, etc.)
- Teaming it up with token makers (too many in green to list)
- Teaming it up with instant creatures (Simian Grunts, Hunting Pack, Quicksilver Amulet, Caller of the Claw, etc.)
- Teaming it up with Judgement Phantoms
- Power Conduit (drool...)
- Tangle (its even in the flavor text)
- Giving it haste
- Playing with Winding Canyons

R

Reverend Love

I think the Phantoms, Power Conduit and Fangren Firstborn would be great.

T

train

conduits are getting downright nasty...

this guy's a house, and all you need to stop him from being shocked is a giant growth - of course - there's still Terror...;)

T

train

Or Lightning Greaves...!!!...:D

But fortunate enough for me - I always run Pyroclasm...

Though with a lightning greaves, he can attack and get a counter before I can Pyroclasm...

Note to self - hold multiple shocks... and naturalizes...:rolleyes: ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I was thinking of Lightning Greaves but the opponent can respond to the activation by Shocking (or whatever), that's why I thought of the general enchantment, to protect him the moment it comes in.

T

train

I noticed that... that's why I have to hold those naturalizes...

either way it's going to be a strong card...

One worth having in many a deck with green in it...:D

M

Mikeymike

Spidey, you talkin bout Dense Foliage?

Regarding Lighting Greaves, I'm starting to see that it is good with just about every creature card ever printed. What a freaking tremendous card the Greaves is.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Probably. I just don't have any so I'm not familiar with the name - I just know it exists :)

Greaves is a great card and even gives haste, which was one of Mikeymike's combos. It's just that small window of opportunity that your opponent gets...

Probably Fires of Yavimaya (or Fervor if you go red) would help in the haste department, if you're sticking with global enchantments :)

R

Rooser

Steely Resolve is the card, Spidey.

Also, I wouldn't want to splash another color just to give haste.

If you want haste, go with Greaves. If you're afraid of removal, go with resolve.

Of course, we're getting so worried about removal but ... isn't removal the bane of ANY playable creature?

Whenever you see a strong new creature, do you always worry about giving it haste and untargetability?

No.

If I played this card, I would just play it straight up and let the beatings commence.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's true, but until the novelty of this guy wears off, he has a large bullseye on him when he comes out. Might as well try to protect him at first...

and that kind of stuff is good for all the rest of the creatures in the deck too :)

N

Notepad

Interesting to note how this is effectively a Juggernaut variant, and that Juggernaut will be reprinted in the exact same set.

Very funny, that. I'll try to get my dirty hands on both!

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by Rooser
Of course, we're getting so worried about removal but ... isn't removal the bane of ANY playable creature?

Whenever you see a strong new creature, do you always worry about giving it haste and untargetability?

No.
Ahh, very true Rooser. His big problem is 2 toughness, which dies to a lot of common removal. But almost all that common removal is instant speed, and Greaves wouldn't protect it anyway. I agree, you should just play him to be aggressive.

Personally I like the idea of giving it haste as it makes him a baby-Overrun the turn he comes down. Anything that screws up my opponents' combat math always gets a plus in my book.