Fake Card: Stand in Dread, Crippling Enchantment

• Thread starter Force of Will Smith
  • Start date
L

Limited

Kinda like Death Match, but now it's opponents choice. Seems very un-broken, but still interesting..
I would so play this card multiplayer, just for some of the chart politic'n

D

DarthFerret

I like it. It does seem to be balanced, but would be interesting to see it in play.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The phrase "opponent" would typically mean any player who is an opponent of the enchantment's controller. Which would mean if both players used creature-based decks, it would benefit only your opponent. The only advantage to the card would be if you were using a creatureless deck...

I'm assuming that you actually mean for it to be an opponent of the controller of the creature triggering the ability who makes the choice, because that's really what the card suggests. It's a bit unclear though...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's not what I got out of it. I took "opponent" to be the person other than playing the creature, not the enchantment.

F

Force of Will Smith

yeah its basically whenever any player plays a creature... they suffer a little bit...

say you wanna make that 1/1 die... ok... say you wanna cripple that 7/7 over time..
its basically a punishment card for all players who play creatures.. you have to weigh exactly how many creatures you're going to play... thats partially why its so cheap..

and pretty much moitilizes elf and goblin decks..

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
That's not what I got out of it. I took "opponent" to be the person other than playing the creature, not the enchantment.
Um, that IS what I also got out of it. I assumed that it would have to be that way. I think it's unclear though...

F

Force of Will Smith

i think the whenever a player plays, an opponent chooses solves most problems.. ill run over it again though.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
How about...

Whenever a creature comes into play, its controller chooses an opponent. That player puts a -1/-1 counter on a creature of his or her choice.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul said:
Um, that IS what I also got out of it. I assumed that it would have to be that way. I think it's unclear though...
Well, ONE of us is wrong then. It's hard to tell with just two people chiming in. Ordinarily I'd chalk it up to differing opinions but when you follow up with "typically, opponent means the opponent of the enchantment's controller...", I was saying "no, it's NOT typical" in my view (which again is hard to see if I'm the one in the minority since no one else chimed in).

But if FoWS is changing the wording, then it's all moot...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, typically "opponent" does refer to the opponent of the controller of the enchantment. But few enchantments have effects where it becomes an issue. There are the Oaths, but they are worded pretty clearly...

Like I said, I understand what the card is supposed to do. My point was that there might be a more clear way to word it...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think it depends on how the ability is worded and to me, it was pretty clear that "opponent" referred to the opponent of the controller of the creature being put into play as it was at the end of the clause or sentence or whatever.

But since there's confusion and FoWS is going to reword it, again, the point is moot.

F

Force of Will Smith

I think if i based my text on oversoul's wording.. it would be

Whenever a creature comes into play, its controller chooses an opponent.
That opponent puts a -1/-1 counter on a creature of his or her choice.