Fake Card: Sorrow's Restraint, discard a hand for B

• Thread starter Force of Will Smith
  • Start date
F

Force of Will Smith

I think this card is actually pretty balanced.. as long as your opponent has a reasonably built deck, it might end up being the same as a single discard...

basically you play it, and they have 3 turns to play their hand.. or destroy it...

Attachments

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Is there any other existing spell that costs 1, has two counters, and has such a big effect like that? I don't know how to compare it otherwise...

F

Force of Will Smith

well i think the closest spell would be brink of madness..

Roc Hatchling is kinda like that....
maybe i should add an extra "delay" counter... so that you have 4 turns to play all your cards.. or actually still 3... i was wrong before

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Actually, the potential for this to hit the table on turn one against a control deck (or a deck slowed down by disruption) probably makes it much too powerful.

L

Limited

I agree with Oversoul that using fading counters makes it look like it has fading.. which would mean I would be a "target player discards his or her hand two turns from now".

Maybe there should a mana-cost added.. Something like
"Pay B for each counter on ~, sacrifice ~: Target player discards his or her hand. You lose life equal to the number of cards discarded in this way"

It should probably come into play with four counters or so..

F

Force of Will Smith

maybe it could still cost B... but like you said you could pay X and sacrifice it to make them dump their hand..

maybe it could keep getting counters when your opponent does something good for themselves...

something like

when an opponent does X, put a counter on this..
B, remove a counter from this: target opponent discards a card

that way it's more of the opponent's restraint...
and they won't walk face first into it...

it would have to be an anti black ability though... possibly when an opponent gains life... that way they could simply avoid doing so.. but it would be similar to a really weak forsaken wastes..

the waiting 2 turns thing to kill a hand is cool, but i didnt even think about how horribly it would rip through a counter deck...

if i made the only trigger gaining life, then it's strictly a sideboard card.. but i think if i added 2 triggers it would be playable..

couldnt be whenever an opponent casts a spell that deals direct damage
couldnt be whenever an opponent casts a spell that draws them a card
it would have to be something white/green based...

white gains life... whats exclusive that green does, spell wise?
hmmm..

here's maybe what it would look like..

Attachments

L

Limited

This i like. (especially in multi player)

Activation cost is B? Why not use a nifty manasymbol?

D

DarthFerret

OMG this would so go in my Global Enchantment/Artifact Deck (see the thread in Casual Decks). I will take 4 copies!

<snicker> I really like the mechanic, and it seems as if you smoothed out the balance.

F

Force of Will Smith

Well damn!

we ironed that one out fast.. i thought it would be a headache to make it "work"

well heres the same thing.. but with mana symbols..

you notice i fixed the expansion symbol? :D

Attachments

I

Istanbul

You fixed the card, too. The original version is one of the most broken cards I've ever seen. "Whoops, start of my third turn! Discard your hand, please."

F

Force of Will Smith

yeah well :D... good thing we didnt let it slip through