Fake Card: Nether Faerie

C

Cardatog

The artwork is stolen from a Steve Jackson Games cover (but it fits perfectly!)

Sort of a Flying Whirling Dervish with one heck of a drawback...

Nether Faerie

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, that thing is going to make some impact after it hits. At the least, it will eat up a removal spell your opponent has and give him/her a card draw. More likely, it will swing for some sizeable damage or get neutralized and give your opponent card advantage...

D

DarthFerret

I think it is a good card, but personally I have not seen too many B/G decks that really pound it hard. I think the balance is there, and it would be up to an individual player to decide if it is worth the risk. With the right deck, it could be pretty nasty. (Thinking black discard and green beatdown.)

F

Force of Will Smith

i think it should start as a 1/1.. getting sizably bigger for doing nothing is amazing.. then again so is a bunch of cards... im torn...

lets see.. i think the power at 2 is too high.. it definately needs to be a 0/1
or a 1/1, before long, nothing will stop it, and it doesnt matter how many cards they draw

1st turn in play:nothing.. 1 card..
2nd turn in play: 3/2 3damage.... 2 cards..
3rd turn in play: 4/3 closer to unkillable.. 7 total. 3 cards..
4th turn in play: 5/4 practically juzam.. 12 damage..
5th turn in play: 6/5 a lord of the pit with passive drawing... 18 damage..

a single giant growth with this card can kill an opponent..

Id recommend

BG 1/1... opponent draws 2 cards..

my 2c

D

DarthFerret

Actually, not that FoWS pointed that out, I am leaning towards a 1/1 critter. Makes a lot of sense. Magic has been doing that for a long time (Frozen shade: 1/1, Royal Assasin 1/1, Sorceress Queen 1/1, etc...) The balance of a really good critter seems to be a low power/ toughness early in the game. Either that, or a higher casting cost. It is only since around Ice Age, that they started really using drawbacks to balance cards. That is why I love the Real Dual Lands. No Drawbacks, come into play untapped ready to use. Also why I like the fact that they have never been emulated exactly. Kind of defines the limits of power that the game has. My saying has always been: "The original 300 card stock defined the absolute limits to the power and speed of the game by individual card power." This is not to say that there are not card combos that can exceed these limits, but that no single card will really go beyond the limits set by the first set. [Hmmm...maybe this should have been its own thread somewhere else....lol]

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know, I think there have been some individual cards since Alpha to stand out in power. Morphling for one...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I agree with Spiderman, as long as "some" means a lot. I mean, some cards are far more powerful than newer versions of them, but it's not like Alpha is chock full of powerful cards. Dark Ritual, Lightning Bolt, Ancestral Recall, Timetwister, Wheel of Fortune, the dual lands, the moxes, Black Lotus, Sol Ring, Time Walk, Mana Vault, Balance, Fastbond, Black Vise, The Rack, Nevinyrral's Disk, Sinkhole, Berserk, Channel, Mind Twist, Hypnotic Specter, and some other cards seem to have been deemed too strong.

But there are plenty of cards in the original set that have been replaced by something better at some point. Prismatic Lace replaces all of the old laces (although it can't hit spells). Pearled Unicorn and friends have of course been replaced. There are some other obvious ones, but even good very good cards have seen broken replacements at some point. Counterspell is no longer printed because it's considered too good. Mana Drain makes Counterspell look pathetic. Braingeyser has seen time on the Type I restricted list, ever since Urza's Saga, Stroke of Genius has been used over it.

So, many cards will go beyond the limits that Alpha set on its cards. Of course, it is certainly true that some limitations on card capabilities were decided earlier than others. Ancestral Recall has been known as too good for however long it's been now. There is no mention of anything as absurd as printing something with that kind of drawing power again. Wheel of Fortune, on the other hand, was reprinted in Revised and then seen again in the form of Windfall and as an artifact with Memory Jar. Timetwiser reappeared as Time Spiral. Black Lotus became Lion's Eye Diamond, which was eventually found to be too good itself...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wheel of Fortune, on the other hand, was reprinted in Revised and then seen again in the form of Windfall and as an artifact with Memory Jar. Timetwiser reappeared as Time Spiral. Black Lotus became Lion's Eye Diamond, which was eventually found to be too good itself...
So was Balance (was that in Alpha?). Revised was only roughly a year after Alpha so it's understandable not all "power cards" were removed.

The others were cases of the designers trying to "fix" the known broken cards with varying degrees of success. You know that if a "fix" is still a problem in the game, then the underlying problem is just the card concept itself :)

D

DarthFerret

Spiderman said:
So was Balance (was that in Alpha?). Revised was only roughly a year after Alpha so it's understandable not all "power cards" were removed.

Yes Balance was one of the original 300 cards. The reason I rarley say Alpha instead of original 300, is because they made a couple of mistakes with the Alpha printing (ie. no COP: Black) so the first actual full 300 card set was really beta.

While, there may be a few cards that push the limits of the game (and most of those I probably do not know or have not seen) I think that there will never be anything quite as good as.....

Dual Lands: two different types of mana availible as soon as the land is played.

Regrowth: 1G to bring ANY card back from the graveyard to yoru hand.

Mana Flare: EVERY land gets an extra mana.

Demonic Tutor: 1B Go get ANY card in the deck. period.

Disenchant: 1W Destroy ANY artifact or any enchantment.

Counterspell: UU counter ANY spell.

Forcefield: For 1 colorless mana, reduce any source to 1 dmg. Any source.

This is just an example from each color (with a land and an artifact for fun.) I will not even go into the Power Nine. (Black Lotus, all 5 Mox's, Time Walk, Timetwister, Ancestral Recall)

This seems to define the overall speed of the game, as well as the limits to what a single card can do (as I said, with maybe a few exceptions, but most of those have been deemed "broken")

I would love to see examples of some of the cards that surpass this. I know there is a lot out there I have not seen, and will be willing to eat my words if it can be shown to me...LOL :D

D

DarthFerret

Ok, I see what those cards did, and while I think it is cool to do some minor color switching, they costs and abilities are the same as the originals. They did not surpass the limits set by Beta.

D

DarthFerret

Nope, matching I agree has definately happened, (zuran spellcaster, Mind Bend, etc...) It was the surpassing part I was talking about. Although on the same note, I really do not see the power nine ever being 'matched'. (Sometimes I almost wish, but then what would be the point of having the older cards?)

E

evan d

this card would be a wonderful 1/1 for politicing in multiplayer. "hey guy playing black/red, dont kill my Neather Faerie and you can draw all the cards."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret said:
Ok, I see what those cards did, and while I think it is cool to do some minor color switching, they costs and abilities are the same as the originals. They did not surpass the limits set by Beta.
The limits have been surpassed quite a bit though. Sure, they haven't made better versions of dual lands, but you can't just exclude Pearled Unicorn because it sucks. They have made much better white creatures than Pearled Unicorn...

Now, as far as good cards go, the limits are not USUALLY surpassed, but I already mentioned how much better Mana Drain is than Counterspell...

C

Cardatog

evan d:
I originally envisioned this as a multiplayer card that read:
"During your upkeep, all opponents may draw a card. Place a +1/+1 counter on Nether Faerie for each card drawn this way."

A Turn three 9/9 Flyer seemed a tad broken though...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul said:
The limits have been surpassed quite a bit though. Sure, they haven't made better versions of dual lands, but you can't just exclude Pearled Unicorn because it sucks. They have made much better white creatures than Pearled Unicorn...
I think he's talking about the good spells, not the vanilla commons.

D

DarthFerret

Yup that is what I meant. I mean come on, in the same original set you have a pearled unicorn (2/2 for 2W) and a Savana Lion (2/1 for W). But I have yet to see a white creature with a cost of W that rivals the speed and power of a Savanah Lion. (I have 4 hee hee).

As far as the card in this topic goes.....should its ability activate on the controllers upkeep, and he picks the "target opponent"? That would limit the growth to +1/+1 every round, rather than on each players turn..

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
I think he's talking about the good spells, not the vanilla commons.
I'm sure that's what he had in mind (well, he already confirmed that anyway). But it wasn't stated in the post...

You could say the same about any set though, now that I think about it. Those sets just won't have as many broken cards...

I could say, "no set surpasses the limits created by Urza's Saga." And no lands since the Tolarian Academy/Gaea's Cradle/Serra's Sanctum have had nearly so much potential for mana production. No Yawgmoth's Will effect has been nearly as good (Yawgmoth's Agenda isn't all that great). No blue creatures have been as versatile as Morphling. There hasn't been a cheaper Smokestack. Etc., etc., etc.

Actually I could say that about Homelands too. They've now made a crappier version of Memory Lapse...

So while the first edition set a lot of boundaries, it hasn't been the only set to make such boundaries. The game will continue to change like that as long as they're making new cards...

D

DarthFerret

I understand that, and how can it not be so? At the games inception, things like phasing, and double-strike etc... were never even thought of. So as more abilities and alternate win conditions (ie poison) are brought in, generally speaking the set that brings them in is gonna set those boundries.

What I meant, cause I know I was not very clear, is that the boundries that were set by "first edition" have never been surpased. This is a good thing, because people like me who do not buy very many of the newer cards, still have a really good chance in a casual magic game. (Not so much in tournaments, because it is hard to build a deck that is legal to play, consisting entirely of older card stock.)