Fake Card: Dark Alleyway, Manaless Land.

• Thread starter Force of Will Smith
  • Start date
F

Force of Will Smith

Idea being... all creatures see less.. so -2/-0.. secondly...
when you die in an alleyway.. you disappear...

?

Attachments

L

Limited

Force of Will Smith said:
when you die in an alleyway.. you disappear...
That's just depressing..

Personally, I'm a big fan of the every-land-taps-for-mana-rule, because this cards reads like an enchantment. Maybe you could change it to tapping for colorless or tapping to give all creatures -2/0. Would still be very nasty..
It would be nasty good, so it might have to come into play tapped..

D

DarthFerret

Hmmm..If you did change this into an Enchantment...would it be better as an Enchant World? Black?

As for the Land....I like the Tap when it comes into play, and tap for 1 colorless. but keep the effect continual.

E

evan d

wouldnt this just be used by combo decks to stall for time, creatureless decks, and as a way to stop weenie decks.(ismaru who, you mean teh 0/1 for W).

Little value in multi because the world will hate you, Or will they all love you.

Needs playtesting.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Limited said:
Personally, I'm a big fan of the every-land-taps-for-mana-rule, because this cards reads like an enchantment.
If that's a rule, it's already been broken numerous times...

L

Limited

Oversoul said:
If that's a rule, it's already been broken numerous times...
it's kinda the new thing. Some of the old non-basic lands just tap for an ability, but I read somewhere (some Rosewater article I think) that this would make them functionally the same as enchantments. Newer non-basic lands "produce mana" (by tapping or fetching) because it is what lands are supposed to do.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, I happen to have lands that do not produce mana. Nothing so impressive as Bazaar of Baghdad, but maybe someday...

They still exist, even if Mark Rosewater does not like them.

L

Limited

Yes, but odds are no new ones will be printed. I was just saying I agree with this rule...

F

Force of Will Smith

Coming into play tapped for this wouldnt do anything.. unless the -2-0 ability was a tap cost... i think i may make any player have the ability to pay 5 life to destroy it..
maybe higher... as theyre killing a land with awesome abilities for life...

and it is legendary...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, I think that's more balanced.

Limited: It's not a "rule" in the sense that it is a rule of the game. It's just a preference of Mark Rosewater (and probably some other people in R&D). I see nothing wrong with this land, except for the fact that it could be too good of an aggro-hoser. The new ability should fix that, but I'm not positive...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul said:
It's not a "rule" in the sense that it is a rule of the game. It's just a preference of Mark Rosewater (and probably some other people in R&D).
True, perhaps the better wording would be "every-land-taps-for-mana-guideline-which-is-strongly-followed-by-the-designers-of-the-game"

F

Force of Will Smith

i think the fact that it has more options of destruction, especially that any player using any color may destroy it makes it more balanced..

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
True, perhaps the better wording would be "every-land-taps-for-mana-guideline-which-is-strongly-followed-by-the-designers-of-the-game"
Your sarcasm is dripping on the floor, Spidey... :rolleyes:

I was not trying to nitpick at all by stating that it is not a rule. I'm trying to point out that there have been plenty of lands that don't produce mana in the past. The current designers of the game choose not to print more, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be considered at all. Some of them have been pretty cool. They can be too weak (Adventurer's Guildhouse) or too strong (Bazaar of Baghdad) just like any type of card. I don't see them as too much like enchantments at all...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, there have been plenty of lands like that in the past, but there's probably a reason why there's an "unwritten" design rule not to make them anymore (which I'm pretty sure Rosewater covered). Namely, no one really uses them. Maybe Bazaar of Baghdad, but who the heck uses Oasis? In a serious deck? I have lots of Chronicles and *I* don't use them.

Obviously this isn't for an official set and FoWS can make it whatever he wants. But he's posting his cards for suggestions and Limited was just stating his preference for keeping non-tap lands more as enchantments instead.

L

Limited

Oversoul said:
I'm trying to point out that there have been plenty of lands that don't produce mana in the past. The current designers of the game choose not to print more, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be considered at all.
And I was just trying to point out that I don't like lands that don't tap for mana. That's why i would like to see this land discussed here to have a mana-ability of some kind.

The reason for my disliking lands that don't tap for mana, is this mana-ability seems an inherent land ability and applying a global change seems to match to my idea of an enchantment. And seeing it is a land, it would be the same a enchantment without casting cost..

Furthermore, having the land tap for mana can give nice choices will playing it. Suppose the land taps for two mana but only protects you from an opposing creature force when untapped. Do you sit tight and wait it out, and give the opponent the opportunity to draw a Wasteland, or do you use the mana to cast an attacker and try to win the damage race.. or something.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
Yeah, there have been plenty of lands like that in the past, but there's probably a reason why there's an "unwritten" design rule not to make them anymore (which I'm pretty sure Rosewater covered). Namely, no one really uses them. Maybe Bazaar of Baghdad, but who the heck uses Oasis? In a serious deck? I have lots of Chronicles and *I* don't use them.
Okay, I have played against Maze of Ith many times. Oasis though? Like I said, some of these lands are pretty bad...

Limited: It's not the same as an enchantment. Stone Rain affects it. Disenchant does not. Wasteland affects it. Tranquility does not. Until recently, enchantments weren't something cards could normally be tapped.

Hey, if R&D wants to abstain from printing lands that don't tap for mana, that's their perogative. But I see no good reason why a properly designed land of this sort should not be a part of the game...

F

Force of Will Smith

hehe.. thanks :D... hey.. about 7 or 8 of my fakes have been made into real cards in some form or another... so it's entirely possible...

over summer ill have to repost MY Sundering Titan and get you guys to help me change him... cause.. well... he's a LOT like the titan..