Expensive Mana Deck

R

Revan

Please tell me what you think. I'm a newbie so if you think it is terrible...that's why,lol. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

Lands:
2 x Temple of the False God
23 x Mountains
18 x Islands

Creatures:
2 x Phyrexian Colossus
1 x Phyrexian Hulk
4 x Chartooth Cougar
4 X Goblin Machinist
2 x Scornful Egotist
2 x Vizzerdrix
2 x Aven Fateshaper
2 x Shoreline Ranger
2 x Qumulox
1 x Arc-Slogger
1 x Thundermare
1 x Macetaile hystrodon
1 x Skittish Valesk
1 x Bloodstroke howler
1 x Bloodshot Cyclops
1 x Plasma Elemental
1 x Bonethorn Valesk
1 x Iron-Barb Hellion
1 x Frenetic Raptor
1 x Thundercloud Elemental
1 x Air Elemental
1 x Mischievous Quanar

Enchantments:
1 x Parallel Thoughts
3 x Pyrostatic Pillar

Instants:
4 x Dispersal Shield

Sorcery:
1 x Beacon of Tomorrows
1 x Slice and Dice
2 x Rush of Knowledge
3 x Erratic Explosion
4 x Torrent of Fire

Thanks for any thoughts

J

jorael

Nice deck. You certainly establish a theme here. If you like the deck to be a bit random, this works. I prefer more consistency usually. What I'd do is take all the best playable expensive spells and take all cards that make best use out of it and try to get the deck around 60 cards.

Creatures: Qumulox without any artifacts is too expensive IMO. You can hardly cast it. Aven fateshaper is also hard to cast. It's ability is nice, but not essential. Scornful Egotist fits the theme so good I'd play 4! Have you considered the landaffinity creatures? (spire golem & oxidda golem) They are easy to cast, so you have more to play early on and have casting cost of 6 :) I see you already use expensive morphs, they look good in the deck.

Personally I think Torrent of Fire is too expensive for it's effect, I'd go for 4x erratic explosion (or pyromancy if you got 'em) and 4 rush of knowledge (also 5 mana, but a great card drawer in this kind of deck)..

I made this deck last week, which shares your passion about casting costs:

BIG
12 mountain
12 island

4 oxidda golem
4 spire golem
4 scornful egoist
4 shoreline ranger
4 chartooth cougar

4 wand of the elements
4 pyromancy
4 rush of knowledge
4 erratic explosion
This deck is pretty consistent and abuses pyromancy. I have early defense, due to the land affinity creatures. Wand of the Elements change my land into extra creatures. This is handy because with a pyromancy in play, I'll drop as much land as possible while keeping the big creatures to deal damage. Erratic explosion is there for the early game also. It will always deal at least 4 damage, and that's a good enough deal for the 3 mana it costs, if you ask me.

Kaboom is also a great card to use in such kind of decks. As is Timesifter (especially with haunted crossroads if you use black, just put a landcycler on top!). Dranlu's Pet is fun too, but needs black too. Qumulox might be good if you take an affinity approach. Together with Somber Hoverguard, Myr Enforcer, Broodstar & thoughtcast you'll also have some high cc spells that are still easy to play.

Good luck with your deck!

L

Limited

i'n not loving the torrent of fire.. I've tried it in a morph deck but felt it never had an advantage over mana-to-burn spells (fireball etc)
I would definitely play four rush of knowledge.. and perhaps get some mana accel going? Something so your deck will do stuff in the first few turns except for setting up land..

R

Revan

Limited said:
i'n not loving the torrent of fire.. I've tried it in a morph deck but felt it never had an advantage over mana-to-burn spells (fireball etc)
I would definitely play four rush of knowledge.. and perhaps get some mana accel going? Something so your deck will do stuff in the first few turns except for setting up land..

I don't want to sound completely inept; but what is the best way to use Rush of knowledge? My opponent loves to play an enchantment that nails me for 2 life( if he only has one out) for every card I discard. Thanks!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
That would be Megrim...

Anyway, this deck has no focus and uses expensive cards without mana acceleration. Also, it's way over the minimum of 60 cards.

If you can cut it down to 60 cards, include some good mana acceleration, and give the deck some focus, that would improve it...

L

Limited

A rush of knowledge in this deck will draw you about 7 cards, so if you just empty your hand (you know by playing spells) and cast the Rush to refill your hand, you should be okay..

R

Revan

I have very limited cards and funds. Here's what I did with the deck to try and follow the advice. Please critque. Thanks! It went 2-0 the only time since I changed it..I know thats not much, but good for my overall record,lol.

Here's my reworked Beast deck. Please critique if you will:
Lands:
15x Mountain
15 x Islands
Artifacts:
2 x Aether Spellbomb
Artifact Creature:
2 x Silver Myr
2 x Phyrexian Colossus
1 x Spire Golem

Creatures:
4 x Goblin Machinist
4 x Chartooth Cougar
3 x Scornful egotist
1 x Plasma Elemental
1 x Air Elemental
1 x Aven Fateshaper
1 x Iron-Barb Hellion
1 x Macetail hystrodon
1 x Vizzerdrix
1 x Arc Slogger
1 x Thundermare

Enchantments:
2 x Pyrostatic Pillar

Instants:
2 x Unsummon
2 x Remove Soul
2 x Seething Song

Sorcery:
4 x Torrent of Fire
3 x Erratic Explosion
1 x Slice and Dice
I now have protection while building mana and seething works well. If I had 4 I'd really be happy. Does anyone think I should add more unsummons or remove souls?

J

jorael

You also have 2 aether spellbombs, so that should be enough bouncing. I'd replace the unsummons for 2 more.

Remove Soul is a very limited counterspell, I'd remove it from the deck. Pyrostatic Pillar is a great card, but in this deck it will hurt you too much if you ask me and other cards could be of more use. Do you really don't like Rush of Knowledge? You removed all copies from the deck, while I'd play 4 of them.

You have 42 spells. 32 lands is a bit much for that. Make the deck smaller, and it be be more consistent. I'd drop the myrs so you'll have 40 spells and add about 26-28 lands.

My suggestions summarized:

-2 unsummon
-2 remove soul
-2 pyrostatic pillar
-2 silver myr
-4 lands

+2 aether spell bomb
+4 rush of knowledge

Killer Joe

But it's "Random" decks like this one that seem to do really well in multiplayer games. "Focused" decks do not do so well for reasons that I am not aware of!

Keep your deck random unless you plan on playing in sanctioned tournaments. :D

Good Luck! :)

F

Force of Will Smith

I think the reason why youre reworked deck did so much better is that you filled the mana gap from 2 to 6.
In my opinion, you NEED 4 chartooth and 4 shoreline raider.. as it's just too good..
deck thinning.. high costs, lands, cant go wrong.

btw.. the best way to abuse rush of knowledge would be with say...
a show and tell.. heres how it might go...
you could also use noble benefactor for the tutor.. you'd also want to have telepathy so youd know when you could go off..

Darksteel colossus would work as well..

5 islands untapped...
draco, prosperity , Energy tap and rush of knowledge in hand
this is just to show how insane you could be...

Pay 2U, to play draco, pay U to cast energy tap on draco.. adding 16 mana to your pool.. pay U... (16U) use 4U to cast rush of knowledge (12 remaining)
if you tap your 5th island you'd have 13 mana and 16 cards in your hand to cast.... you could cast a prosperity for 12 if you'd like.. or maybe play like 6-7 artifacts after your prosperity and play a brain freeze..
or maybe instead of rush yoiu use it to draw 16 cards and lay a megrim out.

if you wanna go really insane you could..

bog initiate/order of the ebon hand in play
pay 2U for show and tell, draco hits, energy tap for 16 mana..play sacrifice for (BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB)16 black mana.. (BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB16) play a bog initiate if you dont have one in play.. transform colorless to black mana.. drain life for 30..

the deck would have to be incredibly streamlined tho..

as for yours the bombs are good... seething song is a really good idea..
i think the golems are almost necessary to run 3 of both as you could play an early myr, cycle a creature, bounce a threat.. and in a single turn lay out a golem for 2 or less mana.. and draw 7 cards.

One thing you could do is use Crafty Pathmage/Dwarven Warriors to make a creature you control with power 2 or less unblockable, which would be the machinist... then cast goblin recruiter.. stacking the top of your library with goblins that cost 5, 6 or 7([goblin dynamo 5RR][Goblin Marshall 4RR]
[Siege Gang 3RR][SKirk Fire Marhslal 3RR]).. then it might as well read

2R: Deal 7 damage to your opponent
maybe you could kill in a single turn with a fling involved..

Id kill the phyrexian colossus's as theyre awful in this deck..
i think you might want to couple the riptide mangler with the machinist..

R

Revan

Ok; here we go 64 cards. If you can think of a way of getting it down let me know. Some cards could not be added or removed due to not having them or the ability to get them. Any advice is greatly appreciated. BTW: this new version is 6-3...so I'm not sure how good it is.....because I was murdered in the 3 I lost,lol. It seems like a win big or lose big,lol. Thanks alot, I seem to get really useful information and I thank you for your time and consideration. Here's the deck:

Lands:
2 x [card]Temple of the False God[/card]
9 x [card]Island[/card]
12 x [card]Mountain[/card]

Artifacts/Artifact Creatures:
2 x [card]Darksteel Pendant[/card]
2 x [card]Aether Spellbomb[/card]
2 x [card]Silver Myr[/card]
1 x [card]Spire Golem[/card]

Creatures:
2 x [card]Shoreline Ranger[/card]
2 x [card]Aven Fateshaper[/card]
1 x [card]Plasma Elemental[/card]
3 x [card]Scornful Egotist[/card]
4 x [card]Goblin Machinist[/card]
4 x [card]Chartooth Cougar[/card]
1 x [card]Arc-Slogger[/card]
1 x [card]Thundermare[/card]
1 x [card]Iron-Barb Hellion[/card]
1 x [card]Macetail hystrodom[/card]

Instants:
2 x [card]Seething Song[/card]
2 x [card]Unsummon[/card]

Sorcery:
2 x [card]Rush of Knowledge[/card]
4 x [card]Torrent of Fire[/card]
3 x [card]Erratic Explosion[/card]

enchantments:
1 x [card]Power Leak[/card] It's really advantageous against his Circle protection from red cards he has.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Power Leak is awful. Even if COP: Red is such a huge problem for you, dedicating one slot in your deck to a horrible card which can weaken COP: Red is not a solution.

Temple of False God does absolutely nothing until you get five lands out. This deck seems slow enough already. Temple of the False God only makes that worse...

Darksteel Pendant doesn't do very much.

Spire Golem doesn't help much, especially when your deck is two colors.

Aven Fateshaper is the engine that powers your deck (with maybe some minor help from Darksteel Pendant). It costs seven mana to play. If you had some controlling elements, this might be a plausible strategy. Well, maybe some Brainstorms could help, but that doesn't seem like enough either...

F

Force of Will Smith

If you want slight library recursion, go either with a sensei's top or a brainstorm like oversoul says..

I think plasma elemental is awful in this deck... paying 5 or 6 mana.. only for your opponent to pay 1 mana.. killing it..

temple of the false god can be good.. but at that point you have 5 mana... with it.. you have 7
if its your turn 1 drop.. um.....

i disagree about the spires.. theyre 2/4 fliers so a good chump blocker and theyre flying.. you dont also expect to play them for free..

i think a continuing problem with this deck is that you have 2 of some of your best key cards...
for example..

you need 7 mana......
solution... silver myr's and seething song..
2 songs... 2 myrs..
with a single seething i think a turn 3 thundermare or macetail would be pretty badass..
id knock them to 4.

also, i notice you describe certain cards he has which you see as threats..
heres a solution... do the best you can to describe the deck he uses with these cards, and we can probably make a deck that would decimate it entirely...
which then.. he would have to make a new deck... :D
i hate sideboards... thats what i do..
some decks can beat almost anything
but no deck can win all the time. If you have a bad matchup, try a different deck.

11 x Island
12 x Mountain

Artifacts/Artifact Creatures:
3 x Aether Spellbomb
3 x Silver Myr

Creatures:
2 x Shoreline Ranger
2 x Aven Fateshaper
3 x Scornful Egotist
4 x Goblin Machinist
4 x Chartooth Cougar
3 x Oxxida Golem
3 x Spire Golem

Instants:
3 x Seething Song
3 x Unsummon

Sorcery:
3 x Rush of Knowledge
3 x Torrent of Fire
3 x Erratic Explosion

i almost want to see the entire deck based upon fast mana, bounce,
landcyclers, torrent and rush and 4 of each golem and the egotist... think it would be much better

maybe it would go like... turn 1 land, turn 2 myr/bounce, turn 3 machinist... or turn 3 morph turn 4, they take 8 damage,

R

Revan

Here is the newest incarnation.My idea for this deck was to use Torrent of Fire , Erratic Explosion , and Goblin Machinist as the centerpieces for the deck. Unfortunately I seem to get pounded in the early game and have only won 2-5 so far. If anyone would like to please critique this or give their opinion; it would greatly be appreciated. I only have one opponent currently and he usually plays with tons of artifacts; the most lethal to this deck being his Sword of Fire and Ice that sometimes demolishes me by itself. I tried putting in some defensive cards against the early game and artifacts..not working at all. Thanks for any and all help!!!!!

Lands:
11 x Island
12 x Mountain

Artifacts:
2 x Aether Spellbomb
1 x Darksteel Pendant

Creatures:
4 x Goblin Machinist
4 x Chartooth Cougar
2 x Aven Fateshaper
3 x Scornful Egotist
3 x Shoreline Ranger
2 x Silver Myr mainly for mana
1 x Spire Golem
1 x Aven Fisher
1 x Thundermare
1 x Macetail hystrodon
1 x Arc-Slogger

Instants:
2 x Seething Song
2 x Unsummon
1 x Shatter
1 x Unforge
1 x Annul

Sorcery:
4 x Torrent of Fire
3 x Erratic Explosion If I had one more it'd be in there
2 x Rush of Knowledge

My major problem is budget. I pretty much have to make do with what I have although I do have many cards from Mirrodin and Scourge. ANY advice or critique will be invaluable to me. Thank you very much.

R

Revan

Well; I've been getting whipped pretty bad with this deck. Any last minute advice or tips(I reallly want this to work!) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the time spent helping me out with all of your posts; I've actually saved them to wordpad for quick access when I need tips.Thanks again!

R

Revan

Here's what I've done with this deck. I've tried to speed it up while maximizing my options.I really want this deck to work. Can anyone think of the cards I need to cut to get to 60? Or any cards to add?
Lands:
11 x [card]Island[/card]
11 x [card]Mountain[/card]
Creatures:
2 x [card]Silver Myr[/card] To try to speed things up..only have the 2
3 x [card]Scornful Egotist[/card] Good as a cheap blocker in the early game and nice when used with Torrent or Erratic Explosion hopefully.
4 x [card]Chartooth Cougar[/card]
4 x [card]Goblin Machinist[/card]
2 x [card]Aven Fateshaper[/card] will make it 4 when I get them
1 x [card]Spire Golem[/card]
1 x [card]Thundermare[/card]
1 x [card]Arc-Slogger[/card]
1 x [card]Macetail hystrodon[/card]
1 x [card]Viashino Sanstalker[/card] good for early game?
1 x [card]Fighting Drake[/card]

Artifacts:
1 x [card]Spellbook[/card] tie in to Rush of knowledge?
2 x [card]Chromatic Sphere[/card] for the mana generation and the draw
2x [card]Conjurers Bauble[/card]

Sorcery:
4 x [card]Torrent of Fire[/card]
3 x [card]Erratic Explosion[/card]
2 x [card]Rush of Knowledge[/card]

Instants:
2 x [card]Seething Song[/card] I know I should have 4 to speed things up
2 x [card]Unsummon[/card] just to give me breathing room in the early game
1 x [card]Annul[/card]

I really dont want to give up on this deck. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!!

R

Revan

Spiderman said:
Just a note - unfortunately, we don't have the [card] tags here...
Yeah, sorry about that. I post at another forum too and they require that you do it so I have been copying and pasting. Hope it's not too nasty looking. :)

F

Force of Will Smith

I know you really like the machinist.. but the only way he's gonna work is with crafty pathmage or minamo sightbender. that way you tap your sightbender (1u) and your 0/5 is unblockable... then you pay 2R to deal possibly 6 damage.... if youre going with that you could add the red counter parts, and a deck based on unblockables... otherwise i dont think he has a place.. I also dont think erratic explosion is a really good idea herer either..

in my kaboom/erratic explosion deck i run my third turn kill..(Turn 1 mountain, turn 2 mountain, turn 3 erratic/fireblast)
i run pyromancies, i also run 16 cost dracos 18 cost blinkmoth infusions and 10cc decree of annihiliation.. i think that unless your deck is packed with these.. its not worth it..

you might be able to bridge the gap a little with 8 golems and 8 landcyclers...

*Temple of the false god is oink in this deck.. with 5 mana you should be able to do anything.. the 7 does nothing.. 23 lands is fine for this deck.. you now have 2 open slots.

*no darksteel pendant.. it would never work to be used with erratic, and the deck manipulation is so little its almost a waste of time in this deck.

*bounce, aether spellbombs are good, but if you havent cast them, they arent instant speed.. unsummons and echoings are fast and can net you 2 turns to survive a single fatty..

*Aven Fateshaper.. this card costs too much at 7.. completely not worth it

if you use viashino sandstalker, make sure you get a continual ability with it.. like with equilibrium or with pandemonium..

Lands:
11 x Island
12 x Mountain

Creatures:
4 x Spire Golem
4 x Oxxida Golem
4 x Shoreline Raider
4 x Chartooth Cougar

3 x Scornful Egotist
1 x Thundermare
1 x MaceTail Hysteradon
1 x Red Fatty Double <Striking Legions Morph Creature>
3 x Red Fatty

Instants:
3 x Seething Song
3 x Echoing Ruin
3 x Echoing Truth
2 x Unsummon

Sorcery:
4 x Torrent of Fire
3 x Erratic Explosion
2 x Rush of Knowledge

you may also want to cut 1 blue and 1 red landcycler/ 1 blue and 1 red golem for mana leaks or counters...

One problem i see now is that the deck is fast... but little evasion..

heres how it should run. ..

turn 1 land, have bounce in hand
turn 2, land cycle
turn 3, morph/bounce / seething for a monster/ play a golem..

basically continually bounce their creatures while you attack with free golems and occassionally laying out a tremendous fatty.. possibly blue fliers..

sadly i think counsel of the soratami would be better than rush of knowledge almost every single time you cast it.

J

jorael

Force of Will Smith said:
sadly i think counsel of the soratami would be better than rush of knowledge almost every single time you cast it.
Why so? 2 mana extra can be a lot, but with 8 landaffinity golems in the deck and all the other expensive permanents it will draw you 6 cards at least. You prefer your card drawing more predictable? Which I can imagine, I just like to go for all or nothing :)