Ever Eat a Pine Tree [EDH]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
So the organizer for the West Coast Commander League didn't announce our point system for November until after I showed up at the store. No one had any time to build decks based on those points, of course. Also, "Commanderfest" meant we had fewer attendees anyway. Specifically, we had eight. Two pods of four. So people just played their regular decks. And as it happens, that's exactly what I was prepared for. Built this late last night. It still needs refinement, but it is great fun...

Commander
1x Yarok, the Desecrated

1x Abundance
1x Aluren
1x Arbor Elf
1x Arcane Denial
1x Ashiok, Dream Render
1x Assassin's Trophy
1x Baleful Strix
1x Bayou
1x Birds of Paradise
1x Bloodstained Mire
1x Breeding Pool
1x Cadaver Imp
1x Carpet of Flowers
1x Cavern Harpy
1x Cloud of Faeries
1x Coiling Oracle
1x Collector Ouphe
1x Command Tower
1x Counterspell
1x Crop Rotation
1x Cyclonic Rift
1x Dark Confidant
1x Dark Ritual
1x Deathrite Shaman
1x Demonic Tutor
1x Diabolic Intent
1x Dream Stalker
1x Earthcraft
1x Eldritch Evolution
1x Elves of Deep Shadow
1x Eternal Witness
1x Fabled Passage
1x Flooded Strand
1x Forbidden Orchard
1x Force of Will
1x Fyndhorn Elves
1x Gaea's Cradle
1x Gilded Drake
1x Gitaxian Probe
1x Glint-Nest Crane
1x Ice-Fang Coatl
1x Intruder Alarm
1x Lim-Dul's Vault
1x Llanowar Elves
1x Man-o'-War
1x Mana Crypt
1x Mana Drain
1x Marsh Flats
1x Maze of Ith
1x Misty Rainforest
1x Morphic Pool
1x Mox Diamond
1x Mystic Remora
1x Mystical Tutor
1x Nature's Claim
1x Neoform
1x Overgrown Tomb
1x Parasitic Strix
1x Plaguecrafter
1x Polluted Delta
1x Ponder
1x Preordain
1x Priest of Titania
1x Prismatic Vista
1x Prowling Serpopard
1x Raven Familiar
1x Reclamation Sage
1x Regrowth
1x Rhystic Study
1x Scalding Tarn
1x Shardless Agent
1x Shrieking Drake
2x Snow-Covered Forest
2x Snow-Covered Island
2x Snow-Covered Swamp
1x Sol Ring
1x Spellseeker
1x Spore Frog
1x Springbloom Druid
1x Strip Mine
1x Survival of the Fittest
1x Swan Song
1x Sylvan Library
1x Toxic Deluge
1x Tropical Island
1x Underground Sea
1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1x Vampiric Tutor
1x Verdant Catacombs
1x Wall of Blossoms
1x Watcher for Tomorrow
1x Watery Grave
1x Wild Growth
1x Windswept Heath
1x Wooded Foothills
1x Worldly Tutor

I won the first game with an Aluren loop. Second game I got off to a bad start and was killed. Third game I dominated and closed out with a Yarok + Earthcraft loop.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've noticed that my first version of this deck still included some cards that no longer made as much sense after I'd already cut other synergies for them. So I've made the following changes...

-1 Glint-Nest Crane
-1 Plaguecrafter
-1 Watcher for Tomorrow
+1 Cloudstone Curio
+1 Fblthp, the Lost
+1 Yarok's Fenlurker

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Apparently I decided to update most of my current EDH decks on this U.S. Memorial Day. Here were the changes for this one...

-1 Abundace
-1 Ashiok, Dream Render
-1 Gitaxian Probe
-1 Parasitic Strix
-1 Shardless Agent
+1 Brainstorm
+1 Culling the Weak
+1 Demonic Consultation
+1 Finale of Devastation
+1 Thassa's Oracle

Some of these changes were way overdue in this case. I've simply refined the deck a bit. Parasitic Strix was a more situational kill than Finale of Devastation, although I don't really like it and might change that. Abundance is a personal favorite of mine, but was a bit slow and clunky in this deck, only paying off in drawn-out games.

Honestly, I've only kept this deck around because I really like Aluren and want a place to use it, but it's in a weird spot. I've already got GCMLDA, which is pretty much a true cEDH deck. I've deliberately kept this one at a lower power level, but it feels awkwardly like a hobbled competitive deck instead of a casual deck. It uses up a lot of my good cards that I have few or no other copies of. I have every reason to scrap the deck for parts and build something more suitably casual instead. But Aluren! Anyway, this is where we're at for now.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Got some EDH games in last night with a few friends. Mostly, I was piloting this deck in its latest form. It accounted for itself quite well, winning most of the games I played. I'm happy with the deck

Best moment was probably when I topdecked Eternal Witness after my opponents killed my Earthcraft and Intruder Alarm, then I used Eternal Witness (with Yarok on the battlefield) to replay both enchantments, tapped my creatures to untap my basic lands, and set up an infinite mana loop with Dream Stalker. Eternal Witness was then available to loop Ponder out of my graveyard, establishing a win.