Eventide Pre-Releases

M

Modus Pwnens

Yea, I'll be playing this saterday, will keep you informed about my no doubt feeble attempt at a positive win/lose ratio :D

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
I might be going to the instore prerelease at the local magic club here in The Hague, but that's next friday. I doubt it, as I know no one that's going. The recurring trend in my m:tg experience.

M

Modus Pwnens

Shabba, you happen to know what happened to Kv? It's been down for a few weeks now =/

I'll be prereleasing in Amsterdam anyway..

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
The KV site goes down for days quite regularly. Server issues. It was up last week, and has been up for about a month. So perhaps you timed your visits wrong ;)

M

Modus Pwnens

No, I have been there recently, I didn't mean to say weeks, just days :$

Me and my silly choice of words eh? :p

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I'll be the taskmaster at the Pittsburgh event and I'll be pushing KJ to the limit of his judging expertise..... :D

BTW - How far do you usually travel to a pre-release? (Time wise)

D

DarthFerret

Have not decided if I am going or not. According to the DCI, if I do not go, I will lose my membership and my rating (been that long since I been to one). May do it just to say I did it.

M

Modus Pwnens

I think your rating never really gets lost, I've been playing sanctioned in the past year, and before that it's been years (mirrodin pre-release was the last I think) since I played something, and the ratings still exist.

I draw that line at 90 minutes, but prefer something closer to home :)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
DarthFerret said:
Have not decided if I am going or not. According to the DCI, if I do not go, I will lose my membership and my rating (been that long since I been to one). May do it just to say I did it.
Not a chance..... I haven't played in a sanctioned event for 6 years at least and I still have my rating..... As poor as it is...... I never gained any points....

D

DarthFerret

I recieved a letter from DCI stating that if I was not going to participate in at least one sanctioned event a year, that I would be dropped. If I can remember to find that I will scan it and post it up here for you guys to see it.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Do you get player reward cards? They do require a participation for that.... but the DCI number never goes away.... At least it hasn't before.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Yeah, you get dropped from the player reward program and they stop keeping track of your rating. But you can reactivate it if you want.

D

DarthFerret

Hmm...maybe that is what they were saying...still looking for the letter...

E

EricBess

I got one too. They don't axe your rating, but they remove you from standings. If you play again, your rating is recovered and you regain whatever standing you have, but I guess they want to make it as exciting as possible for players, and having to say "I've the 80th rated player in my area" is less exicting if 75 of those players haven't played in two years.

D

DarthFerret

Ok thanks for clearing that up. I am not the only one that got a letter!

Killer Joe

My day will start out with picking up Mooseman at his place early in the morning. Then we'll stop for coffee and Pop-Tarts. Then we'll go to Downtown ("dahntahn" in Pittsburgh-eese) to set up for the pre-release. We have a crack team here in the 'burgh and we'll be more than ready by the time we open the doors.

To Moosie: DCI Judge James Elliott says I'm now a "Ninja" judge so bring-it-on!!!!! :D

M

Modus Pwnens

Well, my story is actually pretty sad.

I started by opening a fantastic sealed pool, featuring the lovely Oona, Queen of the Fae, the UG Liege (Seedborn Muse for U/G permanents) and the UG Spirit Avatar (Aeon Chronicler), but ended up on either 2 land and never seeing the third (until I lost, then it was of course on top :/), or flooding so badly I never had a chance in the first place (13 lands, 6 spells anyone?).
After i was 0-2, I subscribed for a triple Eventide draft, which didn't started until after the third round (which I won, mainly because my opponent just wasn't that good, no offense).

Here I managed to get the RW nuts, having 3 mimics (which get 4/2 first strike) with 15 other enablers. I crushed my first two opponents in 3 minutes per game, and lost in the finals to UG mimics (he had 5, and I made a terrible misplay game 1, but then I can't really blame myself, because it's not that easy to count to 15 :$). The real reason was that he had the liege to go with his mimics, so I didn't really had a chance.

After the tournament we convinced the head-judge to participate in a SSE draft, which I totally messed up, having only 12 creatures (which were all I drafted, so go figure the things I had to play), going 1-2.

Eventide is an awesome set though, and if you ever try a triple draft yourself, make sure you (first-)pick any mimic you see (just pick a color, whichever is open), but I'm not too sure about SSE drafts. It's either three colors, or one, and while the latter should be a lot better, I'm not so sure if you can get some real good decks here.

Oh well, I enjoyed myself, and hope you all did the same :)

R

Rakarth

I actually forgot about the fact that I went to the pre-release

I had a damn good day though, my first sealed deck tourney too :D I got a pretty good pool too including Oona, Demigod of Revenge and Nobilis of War (The R/W Spirit Avatar - Flying and gives +2/0 to all attacking creatures I control :)). I went with I nice R/B deck with those three in and 3 of the Hatchlings (2 Noxious and 1 Voracious) which are a little undercosted but hey, if they're gonna print em then I'll use em :D the B/W and B/G enchantments (all the dual colour enchantments are a little overpowered I think) went in along with as much removal as I could muster, which turned out to be a Soul Reap and a Puncture Blast :p

First game I went 2-0 with a young kid who got mana screwed then flooded in a three colour deck. Getting Beseech the Queen in my pool was great cause it meant the Demigod was out quicker and he's so very hard to deal with. Another little combo :p to end the second game was Corrupt (5B for damage to player equal to number of Swamps I control, gain life equal to damage dealt) combined with Elsewhere Flask making my 8 land into Swamps for the finish :D

Second game pitted me against I guy play GWB and a lot of removal or creature screw like Recumbent Bliss, and also sporting a few copies of a card with the new shiny Retrace ability (Discard a land and pay the mana cost if it's in your GY to play it again) causing me to discard a card. Needless to say I lost but it went close on the second game but he took it 0-2. I get the feeling I could have taken the second if I'd been more aggresive.

Third match put me against my mate Mike playing some combination of GUW I think. The first game went to me easily, Demigod down, swing, Nobilis of War down, Demigod swing for more, Demigod and Nobilis swing for game. Second went to him as I couldn't get anything out that was big enough to stop his creatures so it went 1-1. The last game was epic and went over the allowed limit so we were into last 5 turns. I had board position, with the Demigod and a Noxious Hatchling out waiting to swing while he frantically tried to remember what he had in his deck that he could try to find to stop me. In the end he had nothing so I used Traiter's Roar on his largest creature and swung for game :D

The fourth game doesn't even bear mention. 0-2 and I got mana screwed and simply beaten by a better deck. G/R or G/W I think but either way it was quick and consistent, always with removal and creatures ready. It was very well thought out and I couldn't deal with it.

So 2-2 overall put me in the bottom half because I one win was 2-1, 9 out of 16 I think it was netted me two boosters and the obligatory promo card (Overbeing of Myth). Annoyingly Mike who I beat got an easy opponent because of it and so came in the spot abve me and got three boosters! I'm not sour though, not at all....:( :p

All in all it was a damn good day and I'm going to the Eventide release tomorrow :)

Rakarth