Erhnamgeddon (Old M:tG computer game deck)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I actually don't remember how I came up with this one at all. I mean, Erhnamgeddon was a deck name based the "combo" of Erhnam Djinn + Armageddon. It was a deck that dropped large, efficient creatures and then blew up all the lands, leaving opponents with no way to catch up. I had definitely seen the deck before, but this list is clearly up to something a bit different. I guess I noticed that while some of the other tech was missing, land destruction was pretty good in this game, so I doubled down on that. So it's a white/green beatdown deck with a bunch of land destruction and Dingus Egg. On the one hand, it's definitely still derivative: the Erhnam Djinn + Armageddon interaction was famous. On the other hand, I pretty much made this deck up based on the cards available and a loose idea of what should work.

Notably, Dingus Egg was restricted in Type 1, but not for very long, and had been off the list well before the computer game was published, so this is a legal deck. As with a lot of other olden-days details, the restriction of Dingus Egg is a bit of an oddity. I was going to say that the ban/restriction decisions back then were made with a poor understanding of the game, but I suppose that I still think that about the decisions that are made now, so I can't really be too harsh. Anyway, land destruction cards were at the peak of their power in the 90's. These days Stone Rain is "too good." The potential of a deck using land destruction to cause a blowout was known, but reaction to it was a bit awkward. Armageddon was in white, with targeted land destruction shifting between black, red, and green, so there was a lot of variety. All of this was bolstered by Strip Mine, which didn't get restricted until late 1996. So for part of 1994, the attempt to curtail the blowout wins by land destruction was to restrict Dingus Egg. Yeah, Dingus Egg. Because obviously the problem was that you took damage when your lands died and not that your opponent was killing all of your land. Serra Angel, Juggernaut, Erhnam Djinn, and Savannah Lions were the pinnacle of value in this card pool.

Because few creatures could stand up to the ones in this deck and because of the oppressive power of land destruction, this deck tended to do pretty well. It was consistent, but didn't have quite the raw power of some of the other decks.

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Erhnam Djinn
4 Armageddon
1 Balance
1 Black Vise
2 Dingus Egg
4 Ice Storm
3 Juggernaut
4 Kudzu
3 Llanowar Elves
1 Regrowth
3 Savannah Lions