Epic [EDH]

Discussion in 'Casual Decks/Variants/Etc' started by Oversoul, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Oversoul The Tentacled One

This is a brand new decklist I haven't tested at all, but I'm aiming to try it on Sunday...

Commander:
    [IMG]

1x Abundance
    1x Academy Rector
    1x Akroan Horse
    1x Arbiter of Knollridge
    1x Azorius Signet
    1x Bant Panorama
    1x Bountiful Promenade
    1x Brainstorm
    1x Breeding Pool
    1x Collective Voyage
    1x Command Tower
    1x Dakra Mystic
    1x Decree of Silence
    1x Dictate of Kruphix
    1x Dovescape
    1x Eladamri's Vineyard
    1x Enduring Ideal
    1x Enlightened Tutor
    1x Estrid's Invocation
    1x Expedition Map
    1x Flooded Strand
    1x Forbidden Orchard
    7x Forest
    1x Frantic Search
    1x Gilded Lotus
    1x Grasp of Fate
    1x Greater Auramancy
    1x Growth Spiral
    1x Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer
    1x Hallowed Fountain
    1x Heartbeat of Spring
    1x Helm of Awakening
    1x Humility
    1x Hunted Wumpus
    7x Island
    1x Maze of Ith
    1x Mistveil Plains
    1x Misty Rainforest
    1x Moat
    1x Mystical Tutor
    1x Oath of Lieges
    1x Oblivion Ring
    1x Paradox Haze
    1x Peacekeeper
    7x Plains
    1x Ponder
    1x Preordain
    1x Quest for Ancient Secrets
    1x Rainbow Vale
    1x Regrowth
    1x Sakura-Tribe Elder
    1x Sandwurm Convergence
    1x Savannah
    1x Sea of Clouds
    1x Seal of Cleansing
    1x Seal of Primordium
    1x Search for Azcanta
    1x Selesnya Signet
    1x Selvala, Explorer Returned
    1x Serra's Sanctum
    1x Sheltering Ancient
    1x Simic Signet
    1x Sol Ring
    1x Soldevi Sentry
    1x Solemnity
    1x Solitary Confinement
    1x Spectral Searchlight
    1x Spore Frog
    1x Sterling Grove
    1x Sylvan Library
    1x Sylvan Scrying
    1x Talisman of Progress
    1x Talisman of Unity
    1x Temple Garden
    1x Tempt with Discovery
    1x The Mending of Dominaria
    1x Tropical Island
    1x Tundra
    1x Veteran Explorer
    1x Wall of Shards
    1x Windswept Heath

You see, it's a Group Hug deck. But unlike other Group Hug decks, mine is not a trap, meant to lull gullible opponents into believing that I'm helping them only to set them up for some ridiculous combo kill. And unlike other, other Group Hug decks, it's not all fluff with no protection. Instead, I intend to help everyone while keeping them from being able to stop me from helping. I do not currently run any means of preventing opponents from decking themselves. I leave that up to them.

We'll see how this goes. I've been wanting to do something like this for a while. I love Enduring Ideal. But for this specific decklist, I was somewhat inspired by the realization that my local Commander League's rotating points system will still be rewarding players for having 10 or more tokens in a game. I outright stated that I intended to play a deck with The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale and to punish token generators. Instead, I'll be actively helping everyone to get those points!

I haven't finished putting the physical deck together yet and I may make some minor changes before the deck is fully built, but this is the draft version for now...
    Mooseman likes this.
  2. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Haven't even finished sleeving this thing up and I've made one minor change to the list I initially posted...

+1 Academy Rector
    -1 Starfield of Nyx

Rector comes down a turn earlier and is better defensively before I can set up Enduring Ideal, which should be the main goal. Starfield of Nyx was something I was considering to pull enchantments back out of my graveyard, but then I decided to include The Mending of Dominaria anyway. It's bad under Humility, which could be a key card in many games.
  3. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Played this and was generally satisfied. It's fun and I got to make sure that my opponents had plenty of tokens. The Commander League implemented a new contingency for infinite combos that if a player uses one to win, that player collects the relevant points for winning, but the game keeps going with the rest of the table. In two of my games, the same guy went off with an infinite combo (Reiterate with Turnabout in one game and with Reality Spasm in another). And after we kept playing, I won both of those. We had another one that went past time and was called a draw. I have some ideas for refinements, which might come if I keep this one together...
    Mooseman likes this.