Enter the Graveyard

• Thread starter Budget Player Cadet
  • Start date
B

Budget Player Cadet

Well, we've certainly all heard a lot about all of these dredge decks that win on turn 2 with 7 bridge from below tokens and a flame-kin zealot. Here's my slightly more interesting, slower version on dredge:
Keep in mind, this is coming right off the top of my head, so...
Let's start with the engine. Savra, queen of the golgari is just plain insane. It makes everything work, so let's abuse it.
so, first of all, lets have 3 of them. Only three, because she's legendary. And what do we abuse her with?
3x Savra
4x Shambling shell.
It doesn't get much better. Oh wait, it does! This is tricky, but...
4x Grave Pact!
Savra is really easy to kill, and it is sure as heck gonna be a walking bulls-eye for shocks and incinerates. Grave pact, on the other hand, is an enchantment-far harder to get rid of. Now we have our engine. But the 1BBB cost from Grave Pact bothers me, so let's have
4x Bayou (Not necessary, but helpful)
4x Overgrown Tomb
4x Gilt-Leaf Palace
4x Llanowar Wastes
4x Swamp
2x Forest.
The Double lands aren't necessary, but they'll definitely help the grave pact.
also,
2x Life from the Loam
With that, our mana problems should be solved. And the deck out problem? Gaea's blessing is out of the question, but I found a wonderful card for that: Battlefield scrounger 3GG
Centaur
3/3
Threshold: Put three cards from your graveyard on the bottom of your deck: Battlefield scrounger gets +3/+3.
Perfect.
3x Battlefield Scrounger.

21/38 so far, so let's add some golgari standard cards and other, very helpful cards.
Land has always been a problem with this deck, but with Life from the loam, that should be solved. However, there are two very powerful fetch cards i should mention.
Hermit Druid 1G
1/1
Druid
G, Tap: reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a land. put that land into your hand and the other cards into your graveyard.
That is insane in golgari!
2x Hermit Druid!
20/38.
3x Putrefy. Come on, If you don't use this card, you've got problems.
2x Grave-shell Scarab
2x Yavimaya Elder
He's perfect for this deck! 29/38
4x Recover
2x Revive
2x Dread Return
Dread return kicks ass in dredge, so let's use it in a situation where its 'sacrifice three creatures' flashback is going to hurt like hell.
And lastly,
3x Greater Good. Card advantage up the whazoo.

Decklist:
22 Land
4 Bayou
4 Gilt-Leaf Palace
4 Llanowar wastes
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Swamp
2 Forest
(The Rare Lands can be changed out)

18 Creatures
3 Savra
4 Shambling Shell
3 Battlefield Scrounger
2 Golgari Grave Troll
2x Hermit Druid
2x Grave-shell Scarab
2x Yavimaya Elder

20 Other cards.
2x Life from the Loam
4x Grave Pact!
3x Putrefy. Come on, If you don't use this card, you've got problems.
4x Recover
2x Revive
2x Dread Return
3x Greater Good

Try it out! Have Fun!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
This deck sounds cool, but has too many newer cards I'm unfamiliar with. How does it usually work?

B

Budget Player Cadet

Yeah, let me guess-you play a bubbling muck deck? Surprised? Nobody knows bubbling muck, but i remember getting hit for 60 and surviving thanks to three wellwishers. As to the newer cards, I would recommend going to www.magicthegathering.com. The site is absolutely safe, and there, you'll find in the upper left hand corner a link to Gatherer. There, you punch in the cards that you're looking for, and you'll find them. try it!

M

Modus Pwnens

Here's my dredge build, which is currently extended legal, and is one of those decks that indeed kill on turn 2 ;)

Core cards
4x Bridge from Below
4x Narcomoeba
4x Dread Return
2x Ichorid

Engine
4x Careful Study
4x Breakthrough
4x Golgari Grave-Troll
4x Stinkweed Imp
2x Golgari Thug
4x Putrid Imp
2x Tireless Tribe

Misc
4x Chain of Vapor
2x Cephalid Sage (don't like 'm very much, should be removed in favor of an Akroma, and maybe a third Tireless Tribe)
3x Cabal Therapy
2x Flame-Kin Zealot

Land
4x City of Brass
4x Gemstone Mine
3x Tarnished Citadel

As your build is quite dependent on having Savra, I think it's a bit too slow..

B

Budget Player Cadet

Yeah, I know. It's slow. I built it exactly because there are these incredible dredge decks that win on turn two, and I hated them. Oh, and the cephalid sages? Don't get rid of them. They are way too powerful.

MTG without affinity isn't MTG