elf deck

• Thread starter Jareth, Goblin King
  • Start date
J

Jareth, Goblin King

I've always wanted to build myself an elf deck so here is my first attempt.

creatures

4 Llanawor Elves
4 Wellwisher
4 Elf Herder
4 Timberwatch Elf
4 Priest of Titainia
4 Seeker of Skybreak
4 Slyvan Messenger
4 Heedless One
4 Elvish Aberration

Artifacts
4 Lighting Grieves

Land
20 forest

E

Ephraim

It is most certainly an elf deck. I don't see anything out of the ordinary here. Sylvan Messenger is a noteworthy solution to running out of gas. Have you considered Harmonize in its place? You may gather excess lands in your hand this way, but you could remedy that by making room for Llanowar Mentor.

I also notice Priest of Titania and Elvish Aberration, but nothing to do with all of that mana except perhaps to play more Elvish Aberrations. You have Wellwisher to establish a life advantage, so you might consider Hurricane.

In summary, these are the changes that I would recommend making to this deck:

-4 Sylvan Messenger
-1 Llanowar Elves
-2 Elvish Herder
-1 Heedless One
-1 Elvish Aberration

+4 Harmonize
+3 Llanowar Mentor
+2 Hurricane

J

Jareth, Goblin King

I can't believe I forgot Harmonize. I hate to give Messenger the boot, but that will work better. Also should I consider Skyshroud Poacher and Overun?

E

Ephraim

I think that you should use one or the other, but not both. If you're using Skyshroud Poacher, then you're going to be looking for Heedless One, right? With as many Elves as you have, Overrun seems like overkill. On the other hand, if you're not able to drop Heedless One into play at will, then Overrun provides you with a more general win condition for your swarm of Elves.

Generally, I'd say use Overrun. You're not running a deck full of utility cards, where the ability to search for a specific one would be especially useful. Any given Elf is approximately as useful as any other Elf.