Elderly man kills 10

Killer Joe

Jeezsh! 10 people were killed in CA by an elderly driver (86 yrs. old). My neighbor is 85 yrs. old and is a 'sweet-heart' of a guy but he parks all kinds of ways in front of his house.

One day he busted off his side mirror becasue he parked up on the curb and was too close to the telephone pole. At other times he's nearly a quarter of the way on the street. He almost ran into me at the shopping center the other day because he didn't stop at the end of a parking row to see where he was going. I never said anything and I don't he noticed it was me.

He needs to drive though, his wife passed away, his daughter is mildly retarded and there are no close relatives near-by.

Okay, this wasn't his fault (I Think), but his car caught on fire right in front of my house. GOOD LORD!

I hope to be driving as long as I can but I also don't want to pose danger to the community.

Should the elderly have tougher restrictions/tests?

D

DÛke

Not tougher. Not more frequent.

Ten people were killed?

...<waiting for the God to come and tell me why these people didn't, somehow, deserve to die>...

<still waiting>

Alright! I'm done. Only 10? Darn it...

I'm not trying to burst any I'm-happy-you're-happy bubble here, but I believe, especially in this modern day, we have a huge responsibility to...hmmm...to focus on what is a bigger case.

10 people died? Alright.

Abortion...is...an..."ethical" issue? No it's not - it's an issue for people who need such "issues" to forget and muddle greater issues.

10 people died? May God bless them.

Drugs are an issue? Damn right they are! They are always an issue to people who just love to sniff their way out of a greater responsibility - say the responsibility of making sure certain herd animals don't rise to the status of a "president" or the like. <looks at the Blair Bush Project>

10 people died? In Nominee Christie Amen!

Animal rights is an "issue"? Damn right it is! Because some people try hard to avoid coming in touch with real issues...and what is perhaps easier than "animal rights"! It appears as such a noble cause, when really, it is the greatest escapade and running-away from, let's see - human right problems? World hunger? What is called "terrorism"? Injustice by people who call themselves "just"? America? Animals who call themselves "humans"? The list is long...

10 people died! The world is changed once again. We refer to it as B.C. and A.D.; but then God decided to have us call it After 9/11. And now, at this moment, we shall call it After 10-Die.

Silent running – that’s what I call those “issues.”

Nothing against you, YJ - just thought I say something I haven't said before on these boards. It happened to be in your thread. I would have had as much luck saying it in that silly abortion thread.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Agree with Chaos Turtle.

I've had two occasions where I'm backing out of a parking space and I'm halfway out and old ladies started backing out of their space opposite me and ran into me.

T

train

Spidey - Opposites attract....;)

I do also agree about the testing.

In fact I think they should also offer additional classes for them to go through...

"Times have changed, and changed, and changed..."

Killer Joe

However, I usually don't 'chime-in' on really hot topics because I have neither the intellect nor the patience to retort to rhetoric. Don't get me wrong, I'm a smart guy. My personal story of how I came to be a professional educator in Music is astonishing given that my guidance counseler in HS said that at best I would be working at the local Quickie-Mart for the rest of my life. But I never quite had the ability to intelligently express my opinions in a manner that was acceptable to intellectuals....... or idiots (pick one).

Bigger issues? Sure. Is there a GOD? You & I and every other life form in the Universe (heh, IS there a universe?) really don't have the exact answer?

From my "Prisim of Life", I know there is 'evil' and there is 'good'. And no one can dispute that everyone's perception of that is unique to themselves. Do I think killing in the name of anyone or anything is good? No. But someone else might think it's justified or good. But against me? I'll kill 'em back! or I won't.

We all try our best to stand up for what we believe in, but with that, we must realize that some things are possible and some are not.

I think Elderly drivers should have more frequent tests and for me, that's "A Good Thing" (TM)

~Mark
btw, my spelling IS horrendous!

Ferret

Staff member
Well, being down here in Florida I see more than my share of older drivers. I think that both myself and Mrs. F agree w/ CT that there should be more frequent testing for drivers. Down here in the Sunshine State all you have to do is pay for the renewal (over the phone or on the internet!) and they'll mail you a little sticker to put on the back of your liscense. You never even need to walk into the DMV.

Combine them with, the kids in their tricked out cars driving real fast, the soccer moms in their Canyonerro SUV's, and Canadian drivers that are not sure which side of the road to be on and it gets pretty dangerous down here (the three most dangerous intersecions are in the county I live in!).

Having grown up in California I'm not all that surprised at what happened. Virtually all of the drivers are pretty insane. As a result, most of the drivers know what to expect and the only people that are in danger on the roads are tourists (who should know better to stay away from them!). This old guy thing is more of the exception to the rule. Some old people should not be behind the wheel - but, not ALL of them. More frequent testing could help solve this problem...perhaps something like this needed to happen to wake everyone up to a very big potential problem...

-Ferret

"BTW, DUke. Nothing is really important. Everything is just a distraction before death...like I said before, I get bored easily..."

R

Reverend Love

Hey Ferret didn't read all your post just the part concerning the insane drivers in California. I grew up in Cali as well and let me tell you..they're tame law abiding citizens compared to the likes of the Turks, Italians and Tokyo Japanese. Saying that;

Automobile Laws, really = Automobile Suggestions
Would more or less be spot on when describing these menaces.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure of the stats but I know the beginning age group of 16-24 is also, if not the only, highest accident-rate prone. It will probably never happen due to the "societal right feelings" in the US, but the driving age should probably be bumped up to 18. Either that or increase the training that is currently done so more "real-life situations" are encountered and can be anticipated.

Killer Joe

The local news station reported that Pennsylvania has the most 'over 65' drivers in the country with the lowest accident rate for that age group.

Figues, PA is behind in EVERYTHING!

Killer Joe

Another stat indicates that Pennsylvania is loosing it's youth. And on top of that depressing news, Pittsburgh, for the second year in a row, was listed as the "Worst Place to be Single". OY!

Old people LOVE it here and the average retirement age is nearly 70. There's about 15 out of 45 teachers in my building that have 30+ years in as a teacher. They just don't friggin' leave,....EVER!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but somehow Pennsylvania is not in my perception as a place to retire like Florida or something. What's the population influx? Is it constant or growing so the number of elderly coming in is pretty much equal or greater to the number of youth leaving it or declining so not enough elderly is replacing the youth?

N

Nightstalkers

Keeping the elderly on the roadways will always threaten the lives of everyone near the roads.

Just last weekend the guy up the street had his father run his car through his house. I'm still surprised that they didn't skin him alive for it too.