EDH Ideas

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
I want to build a EDH with Oona as my general, but now I'm wondering if that would restrict my cards to hybrid only, or colorless, blue and black. Any clue, anyone?

M

Modus Pwnens

It's very simple, your general is blue and black, therefore you can only use blue and black cards (and artifacts).

Let me know when it's finished, you can fight my Ertai, the Corrupted-EDH deck :)

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Modus Pwnens said:
It's very simple, your general is blue and black, therefore you can only use blue and black cards (and artifacts).
It looks simple, but the rules are confusing.

The general's mana cost dictates what mana symbols may appear on cards in the deck. A deck may not generate mana outside it's colours; anything which would generate mana of an illegal colour generates colourless mana instead.

Example: If you were play Phelddagrif (Casting cost 1UWG) as your General, your deck may not contain any red or black cards; no card in such a deck may contain red or black mana symbols or hybrid mana symbols ( Talisman of Dominance, Life//Death and Boros Guildmage are not allowed. Degavolver is doubly bad).
Bolding by me. Now I just assume that it means you can't play hybrid mana that isn't of the approriate color combination. Boros is WR, I guess this doesn't exclude the selesnya guildmage in the phelddagrif example.

BTW, for those not "in the know", rules are here.

M

Modus Pwnens

Hybrid mana with one half out of your color isn't allowed.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
I just read a whole discussion on it on that EDH forum. Personally I think it's a pity, because it goes against the whole reasoning behind the hybrid cards. But then again, the format is all about handicapping yourself, which is a Good Thing(tm).

Could you post your decklist? Perhaps some mod could rename this to EDH thread and move it to some appropriate subforum.

M

Modus Pwnens

Sure, here's what I currently run:

General
Ertai, the Corrupted

Spells
Masticore
Brainstorm
Cairn Wanderer
Mirri the Cursed
Exalted Angel
Decree of Justice
Shriveling Rot
Ageless Sentinels
Control Magic
Commander Eesha
Austere Command
Spectral Lynx
Serra Angel
Fog Bank
Sorceress Queen
Absolute Law
Worship
Swords to Plowshares
Callous Oppressor
Sudden Spoiling
Umezawa's Jitte
Wing Shards
Fact or Fiction
Ghostway
Morphling
Condemn
Time Spiral
Beast of Burden
Palinchron
Bereavement
Hibernation
Visara the Dreadful
Quicksilver Amulet
Necroplasm
Hinder
Loxodon Warhammer
Mobilization
Aeon Chronicler
Whispers of the Muse
Damnation
Enlightened Tutor
Windfall
Havoc Demon
Demonic Tutor
Battletide Alchemist
Soul Foundry
Propaganda
Gilded Drake
Wrath of God
Opal Archangel
Capsize
Intrepic Hero
Platinum Angel
Deflection
Acquire
Shriekmaw
Paladin en-Vec
Shining Shoal
Tradewind Rider

Mana
Orzhov Signet
Lotus Bloom
Mind Stone
Sol Ring
Terrarion
Talisman of Dominance

Lands
Watery Grave
Caves of Koilos
Orzhov Basilica
Polluted Delta
Mishra's Factory
Tundra
Windswept Heath
Azorius Chancery
Stalking Stone
Dreadship Reef
Dimir Aqueduct
River of Tears
Terramorphic Expanse
Coastal Tower
Calciform Pools
Thawing Glaciers
Scrubland
Bloodstained Mire
Salt Marsh
Adarker Wastes
5x Island
5x Plains
3x Swamp

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
I haven't gotten to building the deck. I'm suffering from my major handicap: I want to build too many decks. Not so much of a problem in itself, only I don't have the cards for all these decks. I do have a lot of cards, usually no more than 4 of them. I surely could use 12 Bayou's, for instance, because I build a lot of B/G decks.

Eventide made me decide to build a B/G EDH deck instead of B/U, and I'll try to get rid of all my blue cards. The only blue cards I really like are Intuition (I own 3) and Gifts ungiven (I own 0... duh) anyway, and that's because they put stuff in the graveyard. I'm not sure if I'll trade my Force of wills, but I should be able to get more Bayou's that way ;) A B/G EDH deck gives me the option to play with all the cards I really like and own (besides intuition, and Hunted phantasm, and Karakas, and Leyline of singularity, but these cards are in another deck anyway!), and I'll only need singletons. This means I won't spend TONS OF MONEY on new cards, cards I never build decks with anyway. My goal is to end up with a EDH deck, legacy MBC with pernicious deed and ZOMBIESOMGWTFBBQ (more on that later, can't decide on a decklist...) and my Hunted/War-riders deck (best deck ever). Plus a survival deck, currently RGSA (for those in the know) that I want to turn into some kind of GBWr saffi combo deck (or perhaps I shouldn't, and keep it as it is).

Anyway, I've decided on Savra, queen of the golgari, with a sacrifice theme. Eventide has some nice cards in these colors. Plus, green lets me run Brooding saurian, so everyone at the table will be able to kill annoying players with decks like Modus Pwnens :D :D :D

I'll post more on the deck when it takes form.

B

BigBlue

If we have enough interest... I'll put together a deck for a forum game... it seems like a bit of work though...

Any rules for General Choice? I see they ban rofellos... Any others? Does the General have to be Legendary? Can other cards be Legendary?

M

Modus Pwnens

If i'm not mistaken it has to be a legendary creature indeed (because of the 20 damage from a general = loss rule).

Other than that, you just can't choose one that has already been chosen by another player..

B

BigBlue

Can a person run multiple versions? Like the other Ertai for your deck? (assuming they are in color... which come to think of it, the card I was thinking of using is not... Braids... One is Black and the Other Blue...)

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
You have to pick a single general for your deck. Of course you can run more legends in your deck.

B

Budget Player Cadet

I'm going to say that Sliver Overlord is one of the best generals ever.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
This is a lot harder than I thought. I figured this would let me play all the cards I wanted to play with (in the appropriate colors, obviously), but apparently I like more cards than I thought. The list, plus the cards I've taken into consideration.

general
1 Savra, queen of the Golgari

sacrificial lambs
1 Spike weaver
1 Spike feeder
1 Bottle gnomes
1 Ravenous baloth
1 grave-shell scarab
1 stinkweed imp
1 spiritmonger
1 brooding saurian
0 mindless automaton
0 wall of roots
0 wall of blossoms
0 helldozer
0 vulturous zombie

tokens
1 worm harvest
1 savage conception
1 Creakwood liege
1 beacon of creation
0 rotlung reanimator
0 symbiotic wurm
0 beast attack

discard
0 raven's crime
0 nightmare void

targeted creature removal
1 visara the dreadful
1 royal assassin
1 Shriekmaw
1 Phyrexian Plaguelord
1 avatar of woe
1 Sudden death
1 Putrefy
0 Bone Shredder
0 Profane command
0 Terror
0 Slaughter pact
0 attrition

sweepers
1 Midnight banshee
1 Pernicious deed
1 Nevinyrrals disk
1 Damnation
1 Living dead
1 Sudden spoiling
1 Mutilate
1 Grave pact
0 bane of the living
0 Ascendant evincar
0 Decree of pain

other removal
1 indrik stomphowler
1 Krosan grip
1 quagmire druid
1 withered wretch
1 woodfall primus
0 viridian zealot

card draw
1 phyrexian arena
1 sword of fire and ice
1 skullclamp
1 Sylvan library
1 Sensei's divining top
0 krovikan horror
0 syphon mind
0 hystrodon
0 graveborn muse
0 staff of domination

life gain
1 loxodon warhammer
0 syphon soul
0 syphon life

mana
1 scapeshift
1 sakura tribe elder
1 kodama's reach
1 explosive vegetation
1 far wanderings
1 crop rotation
1 krosan tusker
1 twisted abomination
0 rofellos
0 magus of the coffers
0 priest of titania

recursion
1 life from the loam
1 regrowth
1 genesis
1 deathrender
1 puppeteer clique
1 eternal witness
1 doomed necromancer
1 Gaea's blessing
1 beacon of unrest
1 dread return
1 tortured existence
1 corpse dance
0 balthor the defiled
0 golgari thug
0 reanimate
0 dance of the dead
0 animate dead

tutors
1 Natural order
1 entomb
1 demonic tutor
1 vampiric tutor
1 diabolic intent
0 worldly tutor
0 survival of the fittest
0 buried alive
0 tooth and nail
0 primal command
0 plunge into darkness
0 insidious dreams

land
land
13 swamp
10 forest
1 cabal coffers
1 urborg
1 Twilight mire
1 Bayou
1 Overgrown tomb
1 Llanowar wastes
1 Golgari rotfarm
1 wasteland
1 strip mine
1 svotghos, the restless tomb
1 Terramorphic expanse
1 unholy grotto
1 volrath's stronghold

For those who don't like to count, that's 100 cards, 36 lands, 26 creatures. The creature count is low, I know that. But I run tutors and recursion to compensate, plus some token creators. Card selection is somewhat driven by my actual card collection, something I don't take in account that often... Well, not often enough.

I would like to squeeze in a little combo, particularly staff/magus or rofellos. I don't (want to) run enough elves to run priest of titania, but it's the same combo.

M

Modus Pwnens

I'd consider running Syphon Life, retrace really is more powerful than I thought, probably over bottle Gnomes (you can sacrifice it only once anyway, so that makes it a 1/3 for 3)..

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Dancing gnomes FTW! It's a real pity Recurring nightmare is banned. I have considered Syphon life, but I already run two other retrace cards. I might change the gnomes for Mindless automaton though, I already have spike feeder and ravenous baloth that are similar but strictly better.

EDIT:

I figured that both mindless automaton and bottle gnomes aren't black or green creatures, so they won't trigger my general. The answer was fairly obvious after that: Quillspike. This card fits my plan to maximize beasts and gold cards, plus it let's me steal all dead creatures for a measily 1 mana (figure that one out ;) ), or go infinite with devoted druid. I should add devoted druid as well then, obv.

EDIT:

Finalized decklists (as long as a decklist can be final for me... oh well)

general
1 Savra, queen of the Golgari

creatures
1 Spike weaver
1 Spike feeder
1 grave-shell scarab
1 stinkweed imp
1 spiritmonger
1 brooding saurian
1 shambling shell
1 vulturous zombie
1 Creakwood liege
1 sakura tribe elder
1 yavimaya elder
1 krosan tusker
1 twisted abomination
1 sadistic hypnotist
1 visara the dreadful
1 Shriekmaw
1 Phyrexian Plaguelord
1 avatar of woe
1 Midnight banshee
1 necroskitter
1 quagmire druid
1 withered wretch
1 woodfall primus
1 loaming shaman
1 puppeteer clique
1 eternal witness
1 Rofellos
1 Magus of the coffers

spells
1 Sudden death
1 Putrefy
1 Tendrils of corruption
1 Pernicious deed
1 Nevinyrrals disk
1 Damnation
1 Living dead
1 Mutilate
1 Grave pact
1 phyrexian arena
1 sword of fire and ice
1 skullclamp
1 Sylvan library
1 Abeyance
1 Sensei's divining top
1 Helm of possession
1 loxodon warhammer
1 scapeshift
1 worm harvest
1 crop rotation
1 life from the loam
1 regrowth
1 grim harvest
1 deathrender
1 beacon of unrest
1 dread return -> profane command
1 tortured existence
1 corpse dance
1 entomb
1 demonic tutor
1 vampiric tutor
1 beseech the queen -> primal command
1 staff of domination
1 Lightning greaves
1 Thousand year elixir

11 swamp
8 forest
1 cabal coffers
1 Leechridden swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 dakmor salvage
1 Vesuva
1 Twilight mire
1 barren moor
1 Bayou
1 Overgrown tomb
1 Llanowar wastes
1 Golgari rotfarm
1 wasteland
1 strip mine
1 svotghos, the restless tomb
1 Terramorphic expanse
1 unholy grotto
1 volrath's stronghold

36 lands, I'm not sure if that's the right number in this deck. I haven't got the two commands yet, but aside from the Vesuva, Scapeshift, Worm harvest and Beacon of unrest I have all the cards. Not that much of an investment. I don't know if I have that many sleeves left though...