Eater of Days

N

Notepad

What's with all these removal examples you guys state???

My favorite antidote for that stupid flier: Flametongue Kavu.

Its just fun to use one abusive creature to take out another. :D

R

Rooser

Yeah, SeFro, I think you're overreacting. Neither Eater nor Platinum Angel ruins casual gaming. I understand where you're coming from, but a Serra Angel answers a Platinum Angel too, as do four token from The Hive. Oh, bounce works pretty well too. And I think a well-trained Rabid Wombat will outrace an Eater of Days just fine, expecially if it gets two turns for free. Sure, not every casual deck is going to have an answer, but that's life. And in multiplaer, the likelihood of an answer not being there is kinda small.

And I think the mentality most casual players have when they build casual decks is that they pack a little removal if they can because 1) they don't have sideboards and you usually don't play full matches in a casual environment anyway, so those "sidboard" cards usually get maindecked and 2) because in casual, you never know what you're going to see!

By your logic, Mr. Roney, Contamination or Solitary Squee ruin the casual metagame too. Combos and lockdown have been around forever, and people have been dealing with it just fine.

N

Notepad

Counterspells and blue magic in general ruin casual gaming. Period.

And who the hell is Mr. Roney? Sounds like somebody who's waaaaay too into eating pasta or something.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I can't wait until someone actually tries to use this against me. That'll be fun...

I think I should build a deck that uses Flicker, just for times when someone plays something like this or Phage...

No really, it looks like this is a rip-off of Phyrexian Dreadnought, which is better anyway...

T

train

It isn't so hard to stifle... or even run it in a humility deck - then disenchant the humility...

Hey - There's an idea...;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
With a few exceptions, the combos posted here to make Eater of Days work well can all use Phyrexian Dreadnought in its place and probably achieve better results...

M

Master Shake

By your logic, Mr. Roney, Contamination or Solitary Squee ruin the casual metagame too. Combos and lockdown have been around forever, and people have been dealing with it just fine.
No, I have been playing Solitary Squee in 1.5 for some time now, and I can honestly tell you that it does ruin the meta there. It was the first time I went to this place, and I played the most annoying deck I could think of. I took first, with no losses, and now everyone calls me Squee as a nickname there. Combos like Solitary Confinement and Nether Contamination are hard to get past, and I can recall a large number of decks not being able to work around it. Next time you play with a group of friends, try U/W Confinement or Nether Contamination, I think you will discover that they lock down they both provide can let you say:

"Tough luck, Timmy. Shoulda splashed another color for enchantment or creature removal. Or you shoulda been running Disk or Fissure. You suck for not metagaming enough."
to that goblin kid.

N

Notepad

Another problem with mean combo decks is that its hard to tell what to use your removal on until its too late, or if you have an idea of what the deck is about. The advantage clearly goes to those of us who surf the web for Magic content. Even with experience, some calls can be tough. Only packing 4 Naturalize? Oh sorry, you're gonna need to draw five this game to stay alive...

Then again, some decks call for straight up countering (which only one color does well) like the Replenish decks bringing back every single enchantment you just destroyed with your lucky 5 anti-enchantment cards.

Not that I'm complaining about a good challenge. My gripe is that it can really be deterring to new or hardcore casual players who are focused on enjoying the game, and not trying to have a means to pass any metagame challenge possible.

M

Master Shake

Ha! but you are wrong, every color has counters.

Red: Red Elem Blast, Pyro Blast, Molten Infulence, Burnout, Artifact Blast, Mage's Contest, Planar Chaos

White: Illumination, Order of the Sacred Torch, Unyaro Griffin, Villigant Martyr, and Presence of the Master, Equinox

Black: Withering Boon, Stronghold Cabal, Deathgrip, Thrull Wizard, Nether Void,

Green: Lifeforce, Avoid Fate

As you can see, the other four color's counter stands up nicely to things like Counterspell, Mana Drain, and more importantly; Force of Will.

N

Notepad

"which only one colors does well"

Hell, even aftifacts have counterspells if you wanna get specific about it. The problem is, only blue does it well.

Doh! Nevermind, I just realized you were being ironic. That's what I get for posting at 1 in the morning... :rolleyes:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by SeFRo
"which only one colors does well"

Hell, even aftifacts have counterspells if you wanna get specific about it. The problem is, only blue does it well.
Heh, I don't know. Null Brooch is pretty good, seriously...

N

Notepad

Hmm, now that you bring that up...Null Brooch would make a great card for Affinity. ;)

Thanks for the reminder! :D

T

train

Null brooch is good for affinity...

and not with the exceptions mentioned by Oversoul - I really think a humility/eater of days would be cool!...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I guess it could come as quite a surprise too...

If humility hits the board, your opponent is either going to freak out and wonder how you'll win, laugh and think you're using some stupid deck, or try to kill it like nothing else. Should be interesting...

N

Notepad

As Spidey said, the same combos for Eater also work for the Phyrexian 12/12. May as well sneak a huge 12/12 trampler into the game with that method.

The Eater has the advantage that you can actually cast it early without a combo. The question, it seems, is if those two turns you lose will be worth the price.

T

train

But Phyrexian dreadnought doesn't have all the same interactions eater does...

The dreadnought has been errata-ed.

It doesn't have a triggered ability. It has a replacement effect that checks during it's "chance" to come into playl... that determines where it goes...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I think against most decks if you do use the back-up plan and cast Eater without something to stop its drawback, you're in trouble. And you were already in trouble if you needed to do that, most likely...

I truly had forgotten about Dreadnought's errata. That does give Eater a few more options than Dreadnought, since the ones that don't actually kill its ability wouldn't work with Dreadnought (I thinnk someone posted a Pandemonium one). Still, Dreadnought looks a lot better (especially with Illusionary Mask)...

N

Notepad

Oooh, you just had to go and mention the grandfather of Morph, didn't you???