Earthquake VS. Savage Twister

F

FoundationOfRancor

Earthquake
XR
Sorcery
Deals X damage to all non-flying targets.

Savage Twister
XRG
Sorcery
Deals X damage to all creatures.

Now, which one do you think is better? Normally, I would say Earthquake. (And Ive decided that is the right choice when playing speed) But lately I've been testing the Twister out in a B/R/G control deck, and it's really great. Personally, the fact that it can take out flyers makes it a far grander choice than earthquake anyday. So what do you guys say? Do you prefer the Twister or the Earthquake, why, and what kind of deck are you basing this choice on?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Don't forget, Earthquake also affects all players.

I hadn't really thought about it. I suppose if you were going mono-red or was building a flying deck, Earthquake would be better than Savage Twister.

If you were building a control deck like you say, Twister might be better.

I guess it depends on what you want to do.

E

Ephrils

I like the Twister because it doesn't hit me. It also doesn'tt require a lot of forethuoght in planning on whether or not to use it, since mst decks have creaures in them. With Earthquale you have to worry about them flying or not, which makes it almost useless against Blue, as most of its commons and uncommons often fly.

I would use Earthquake as a kill card though, and if it didn't actually end up hurting the player enough for whatever reason, at least I somewhat reset, or did reset the board as creatures go. So finishing them should be a little easier, since you prepare your deck for Earthquake, they might not do that :p

M

maraud234

I agree with Ephrils, but to me it's more a matter of what color deck you are using. If you're not using green in your deck, you of course wont be able to put twister in your deck. But overall, I think twister is better, the extra mana is a small tradeoff. Now if your using a R/U deck with flyers, I would use Earthquake.

R

rkoelsch

I had traded away my earthquakes but Apocalpyse came out I am trying to get 4 Battlefield Forges to make my old R/W flying deck where earthquakes definitely belong. So I have to try and get some back.:eek:

M

maraud234

I always end up doing that. I trade for cards that I need for a deck now, but later on find out that I need the cards I traded for a later deck.

E

Ephrils

On using green, Green has another alternative, Hurricane. Does the same thing as the 'Quake but hits flyers. Green can easily put this in, because on the opposite end of blue, most green creatures don't fly. Hurricane is also a varied form of green direct damage, and so works toward killing the opponent more than more toward clearing the board of creatures. With green's life gain, the damage from the Hurricane is often negated the next turn by something like Stream of Life or Taste of Paradise. I'd use Earthquake in a red/green deck, if I thought I might not have a good chance of verwhelming them with creatures, particualrly the gounded ones, since green fights there most of the time.

I

Istanbul

I'm a big fan of Savage Twister, but I also realize that when it was in print, decks didn't exist to maximize its potential. Also, R/G is a color combination that tends to use creatures a lot, making Savage Twister into a situation where you kick yourself in the butt.

If it'd been B/R, I would've FOUND a way to put it into a deck...

Incidentally, in Type 1 or Extended, it fits great into R/G/B land-destruction decks.

H

Hellion

I take Earthquake anyday cause it can be used as a finisher and a ground control item. Besides it uses 1 mana less too. In tight match ups every single drop of mana counts.

Besides, I use spot removal for any fliers....

G

Gryphonclaw

I'd use both, say a couple of each, in a R/G deck. Basically, a deck oriented on regularly throwing down mass damage to creatures, but using a bunch o f regenerators, and just keeping one or two around after each blow over. Savage twister would be for mass clearance early on, and then the earthquake would be a nice finisher, esp if you were to cast it, regenerate, then untap and romp through for the kill. :D

E

Ephrils

Savage Twister does not care if the creature flies or not. ;) I also think it is a nontargetting effect, like both Earthquake and Hurricane, making it just as powerful as they are.

I picked Savage Twister first, and used it more than Earthquake in my Mass Destruction deck, it did a better job of creating a reset for me.

M

Mikeymike

I'm in agreement with a lot of what's been said, especially by Ephrils.

I almost pissed myself the first time I saw Savage Twister and I rushed out to get four. So I get them and I'm all set to start using them and I realize that in my red/green decks that were nearly all ground-pounders Hurricane was an optimal choice. I was seeing that it wasn't a card you could just fill a spot with like EQ and the 'Cane.

But I think I finally figured out a good use for it: the super-manaflare deck. Its a perfect fit for the deck, killing whatever ugliness your opponents cast while not damaging you, giving you time to find your kill. Realize though that it is still 1 mana more expensive AND red and green, making pro-color creatures more of a problem (or a benefit)

All in all its best fit is in R/G based control decks.
While the EQ and 'Cane have limitations, those limitations can much more easily built upon (EQ in a red flyer deck for example), are 1 mana cheaper, and are much more aggresive giving the caster kill potential.

Although I like the Twister, the nod goes to Earthquake and Hurricane.

Oh yeah, and I agree with Maraud that the Twister is no good in R/U decks :D.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure I agree with what Ephrils about following up a Hurricane with a Stream of Life or Taste of Paradise. I mean, you're spending a turn to regain the life while there's a 50/50 your opponent(s) can put out another threat in that turn.

You: Hurricane
Opp: put out threat
You: Gain life
Opp: put out another threat

Now that's an ideal scenario which is why I said 50/50, but you end up having to react again to your opponent. So I;m not sure that's a good idea.

E

Ephrils

I've had it used against me before :p Hurricane/Stream decks are surprisingly effective. Green can just reate mass amounts of mana, if it Streams first, then Hurricanes, for that brief turn you put a threat out, chances are their life is too high to kill them with damage.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking about it, and though it was in terms of land and not the usual mana green creatures being used, if you're Streaming for a large amount, the game is probably at a standstill anyway that one threat wouldn't matter (i.e. it's mid to late game at probably around 20 turns or something). So I guess it's okay in that respect.

R

r00tg04t

Why loose the extra point of damage? and is the option to dealing damage to flyers and loosing damage to players really worth it? i wouldn't even consider using it in anything except a multiplayer deck, because it doesn't deal damage to players. It will not make you as much of a target. My opinion, if you're playing red use earthquake, if you're playing green and obviously not playing it right to worry about flyers after turn 6 use hurricane