Duplicant

M

Mikeymike

Duplicant
6 - MR Rare
Artifact Creature - Shapeshifter
Imprint - When ~this~ comes into play, you may remove target nontoken creature from the game. (The removed card is imprinted on this artifact.) ; As long as a creature card is imprinted on ~this~, ~this~ has that card's power, toughness, and creature types. It's still a Shapeshifter.
2/4

I love this card, absolutely love it. And I think it compares pretty well to some of the past great 'CIP-kill a creature' creatures that we've seen in the past, namely Nekrataal and even Flame-tongue Kavu.

It costs 2 more than either and you don't get guaranteed P/T, but the effect is worth the risk IMO.

Vs Nekrataal
Pros
It can kill artifact and black creatures
It removes said creature from the game
It gets around color protection
It doesn't have to be played in a black heavy deck
Most of the time it will have a P/T superior to the 'taal
Cons
It costs 2 more mana
Can't kill token creatures

Vs FTK
It can outright kill anything
It removes said creature from the game
It gets around color protection
It doesn't have to be played in a red deck
If need be, it can be cast when your opponent controls no creatures
Cons
It costs 2 more mana
Can't kill token creatures
Its' P/T is unlikely to be as efficient

I recently added Duplicant to a soft recursion deck I have (Call of the Wild with Volrath's Stronghold and such) and only got to play it once, removing an Academy Rector from the game (which saved my sorry butt).

Its relatively high cost might keep it out of standard, but I have a very strong feeling it will show up in various neo-control and accelerated green/artifact decks due to its versatility. In casual/MP, it will be an all-star.

It kind of scares me a little actually, because now blue and green have a new and easily castable creature-kill option, and it takes care of some very scary Pro-red/black bombs like Akroma, Iridescent Angel, and Spirit of the Night.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear everyone else's thoughts on this guy.

T

train

so a clone with terror(all creatures / from game) abilities huh?...

M

Mikeymike

More or less, 'cept he's colorless. And more importantly (compared to Clone) he does better than simply allow you to achieve board parity.

H

Hetemti

I don't like it. It made my 40/34 Trampling Enchantress cry.

M

Mikeymike

Actually Hetemti, you bring up a good rules question I meant to ask.

If Duplicant imprinted something with boost (say Ancestral Mask, or Might of Oaks), does it get its base P/T (Yavimaya Enchantress' 2/2) or the boosted P/T?

Train, Dense Foliage still wouldn't protect it, b/c the Foliage only stops spells - Imprint is an ability.

H

Hetemti

It says removed card's P/T, because it's an imprint. Not 'creature's power/toughness.' Hence, it should be 2/2.

R

Reverend Love

Think this could find it's way into an Astral Slide deck?

N

NorrYtt

My multiplayer group has migrated toward a Bribery/Pattern of Rebirth/Tooth and Nail out an early Akroma. What's more, if you Edict her she comes right back thanks to Breath of Life/Zombify/Genesis/Miraculous Recovery/Oversold Cemetery.

Duplicant is the best counter to her.

T

train

Or something like Spreading Plague...;)

You could always Vengeful dreams her sticking your own akroma in the gy, then recurring her...

Those would be my plays...

T

train

Or sac it to a diamond mine for 2 life...

Either way - if removing it from the game is the key...

Planar Void...

Right Spidey?!...
;)

:cool:

B

BigBlue

Am I reading that wrong?

I don't see where it copies abilities... just p/t and type...

So, it's pretty vanilla...

Or, someone posted it wrong... :(

Or maybe I missed the point (after rereading everything...) and we only care about it's amazing removal skills, which appear especially dramatic when used with Astral Slide (although a Nekretaal, Bone Shredder, or FTK would also work well with slide).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I think BigBlue is right. It just copies the "skeleton" of the creature through p/t and creature type, not abilities...