Dungeons & Dragons: Character's Points

D

DarthFerret

What we do here, usually, is to roll the 4d6 and take the top 3. If we are planning a harder campaign, we re-roll all 1's. If not we leave it as is. You get 6 rolls and assign them where you want. I have seen some people that say keep the rolls in the order you rolled them, however, I think that limiting a players choice of race/class takes a lot of the fun out of the game.

I am currently running one game and in another as an Elven Illusionist. (Why did it always have to be a gnome illusionist anyway?).

Killer Joe

This past Saturday night I hosted a DnD night and I had asked Youngbeard to run (v3.5). Anyway, we had 3 PC's and 1 DM but the interesting thing about it was that the two of the other guys (DoomHammer -human fighter- and Cordell -Paladin- thier PC's names) are only familiar with 2nd Edition.

Well I had invited those guys over an hour earlier than YB (The DM) to work on thier character sheets and they were none too happy with the "point-buy" system.
points for abilitites at a cost = for X points.
8=0
9=1
10=2
11=3
12=4
13=5
14=6
15=8
16=10

I was a cleric so I had my WIS high along with my CON & CHA and bought lesser scores for the other three.

DoomHammer and Cordell decided to roll up for thier numbers and got outrageous stats; I think they had nothing lower than a 15, crimminy!

I went with the point-buy system because that's what was said to do but my guy was weak, real weak.

Everything turned out great, the game was good and the company was also good and I never brought up much about the roll-ups vs Point-buy. I like point buy, to me, it just seems fair.

I was Diego, Cleric of Pelor (Neutral Good)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I've never really played 3.5 in real life so I've never done point-buys - we've done the character generation recommended in 3.0 (whatever that was). So no opinion here...

D

DarthFerret

It just seems really difficult, to me, to create a character with "heroic" status when you are using the point buy system. The way my group usually plays the game, we are hero's and in such case, are generally exceptional to normal people. There is such a thing as too much power, however, we generally keep up a pretty good balance. (In the game I am running, the party is now 4th level and the only magical stuff they have found is 4 rings of resistance + 1 and a longsword +1. however, most of the other weapons are masterwork. I know I am stingy huh?)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, to me a normal person would have stats in the range of 10-12, so if you have at least a couple of stats greater than that range, you're "heroic" :)

Killer Joe

Okay, I'm rolling up characters to better help me understand the game. I've chosen to build the following:
~Halfling Rogue
~Human Fighter
~Dwarf Cleric
~Elf Sorcerer

I'll list what I've come with as I make them.