dumb question?

B

BuiltByKevlar

Just like NBC during the summer, if I haven't seen it, it's new to me. So what makes Umezawa's Jitte so good?

L

Limited

The fact that it can do everything. Equipped to any weenie, it gets two counters a turn. For any combat damage, not just to an opponent..
And when it has counters, you take total control of combat, by distributing -1/-1 counters at your leisure.. or just using the +2/+2 to kill your opponent a couple of turns quicker.. or gain life so your opponent can't ever outrace you.

My friends and I actually did a lot of limited play during Kamigawa block and agreed that whoever opened a Jitte (which was me twice) could get a new pack..

H

Homestar

Well it doesn't give -1/-1 counters, just -1/-1 Till EOT, but thats usually all you need.

T

Tabasco

It is single-handedly the most powerful card in T2 right now...If it were not for Manriki-Gusari and the fact that Jitte is legendary, I strongly believe it would have gone the way of the Skullclamp, by now.

If you play creatures and you resolve a Jitte you have probably won the game...I have seen someone take out an Akroma with a Jitte'd Wild Mongrel in Vintage play at a tournament.

The other thing about T2 is that you can attack all out and have a dude with Jitte get some counters and you can gain life before they attack you and not have to worry about blocking. I personally like attacking with a Jitte'd critter, then re-equip 2nd main phase (to an untapped creature) to double the counters each turn. Just sick

B

BuiltByKevlar

So can you unequip cards at any time for free? I am still unfamiliar with the equipment thing.

L

Limited

You can only equip when you could play a sorcery, and each equipment has its own equipcost (which, in case of Jitte, is (2))

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Tabasco said:
I personally like attacking with a Jitte'd critter, then re-equip 2nd main phase (to an untapped creature) to double the counters each turn. Just sick
Please explain how this works. I can be dense at times. Sorry :eek:

How does re-equipping double the counters?

L

Limited

You equip creature nr 1, attack with it and get some counters.
Now, the creature is tapped so it can't block :eek:

So, you equip Jitte to creature nr 2 so you have a blockers that might collect more counters if someone is stupid enough to attack without dealing with the creature/jitte first..

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
See, I told you I didn't get...... so it's a maybe double the counters next turn..... hmmmmmmmmm.

Did I mention that I hate Jitte........ Whenever anyone in our group plays Jitte the rest of us just take them out ASAP......

T

Tabasco

Equip is an ability of an equipment that allows you to "enchant" it to a creature...You can equip only when you can play a sorcery (during main phases on your turn). You cannot however, unequip.

Unequiping only happens when the equipment or equipped creature leaves play, or if you use an activated ability of the equipment that requires you to unattach it from the creature it is currently attached to.

See Leonin Bola

or

Sunforger

L

Lythand

Tabasco said:
Equip is an ability of an equipment that allows you to "enchant" it to a creature...You can equip only when you can play a sorcery (during main phases on your turn). You cannot however, unequip.

Unequiping only happens when the equipment or equipped creature leaves play, or if you use an activated ability of the equipment that requires you to unattach it from the creature it is currently attached to.

See Leonin Bola

or

Sunforger
You can however equip from one creature to another.

F

Force of Will Smith

jitte is good, but not the godliness everyone makes it out to be. Its just fighting dirty, and there have always been cards that do that. The main reason jitte is good is that it gives life gain, creature kill and massive +X+X bonuses to any color..

imagine a colorless earthquake, a dark ritual any color could use, etc..
with no restriction on who can use it, you can take a lame 1/1 flying blue deck to a 4 turn clock deck. The thing that makes it worse is other cards that easily help you get it. Like steelshapers gift is essentially a demonic tutor for your jitte that costs 1 less and (used) to be t2 legal. I can't wait until kami rotates out completely and even more when all we have is coldsnap and timespiral+etc...

Killer Joe

Mooseman said:
See, I told you I didn't get...... so it's a maybe double the counters next turn..... hmmmmmmmmm.

Did I mention that I hate Jitte........ Whenever anyone in our group plays Jitte the rest of us just take them out ASAP......
True that! Our friend "Warry" plays with them and there's this big target on his head. I have them but they're for my "tournament" decks only.

tag guard

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Lythand said:
When is the next rotation?/
Whenever Time Spiral is released, which is probably late September.

Tsi said:
I don't understand the reasoning behind Jitte either. Why is it two counters??? That's ridic! A 1/1 turning into a 5/5... and more if that creature tosses the Jitte to another for the next combat phase. It doesn't even embody what a jitte is... the purpose of a jitte is to parry weapons. It doesn't give power.
Like Ransac said (and Aaron Forsythe admitted), this one slipped through play-testing. They were focusing on other things and no one apparently built a deck that showcased Jitte enough.