Dredge with Manabond

L

Limited

I've been trying to come up with a new deck built around Manabond and the 'new' Dredge mechanic. I've had several decks with Manabond, but they are usually really dependent on how lucky you are... You throw away your hand to have lots of mana, but have nothing to play. If you topdeck a fattie, good for you. If not, you pretty much die..

But, if you discarded some cards with Dredge, next draw would give you whatever you want from your graveyard. Say you have an opening hand containing a Golgari Rotfarm, three other lands, Manabond, Golgari Grave-Troll and another creature. That's a turn two Grave-Troll! (given, it probably won't be 6/6 yet, but a solid 3/3 isn't so unlikely (assuming you have a fair amount of creatures in your deck).

I am thinking:
BondingWithGolgari.dec said:
Creatures (24)
4x Golgari Grave-Troll
4x Greater Mossdog
4x Stinkweed Imp
Spells (12)
4x Life from the Loam
4x Dark Blast
4x Nature's Resurgence (not really sure how you would get this card in your hand, but it also seems to have great synergy with Dredge)
Lands (24)
4x Golgari Rot Farm
12x Forest
8x Swamp
Suggestions? Additions? This deck needs your input!

S

sageridder

Your decklist is not complete,so off the top of my head along the idea.
4x Golgari Grave-Troll
3x Greater Mossdog
3x stinkweed imp
3x Ornithopter

4x Life from the Loam
3x Nature's Resurgence
4x Manabond
3x Mulch
3x Putrefy
3x Glimpse the Unthinkable

3x Golgari Rot Farm
11x Forest
7x Swamp
3x Dimir Aqueduct
3x Polluted Delta

F

Force of Will Smith

Dredge is REALLY tough to make good, unless you're not trying to dredge turn 1.. or you have that recurring necroplasm every 3 turns

life from the loam is only really good at taking away the drawback of dredging a million times.. but should moreover be used as

#1: safety from decking: add a gaea's blessing and dredge can help you
#2: Landkill: add a strip mine or a land ability that requires sacrificing..
cycling lands could be reused every turn for an insane astral slide deck
fetchlands could get you all the land you'd ever need for maybe only 3-5 life.

manabond is too good to be used with life from the loam..
if anything i'd recommend using planar birth to get tons of lands in play..

manabond is good for winning the game. Since the drawback of ditching your hand can potentially have no effect if all you have is lands, its best to use it for free or 0:activated abilites..like casting sunder in a turn to return all lands, then play yours for free. You're potentially 7 turns landwise ahead of your opponent..

you might also be able to abuse it with reletless assault and possibly an infernal harvest..

1B: return 8 swamps, deal 8 damage, possibly use a jeweled amulet to "save" a card. use manabond to play all the lands, next turn use the card saved under the amulet.. perhaps a witness, regrowth, reclaim, scrivener or relearn

I've been playtesting with a full dredge deck "tweaked" which i thought to be optimum build for all dredge, and against 6 or 7 decks, it performed much worse than i had expected... the problem with dredge is that you need to use it fast... and every turn you dredge for something you dont REALLY need, you are essentially giving your opponent a timewalk+dampen thought for free..

someone please tell me a positive experience with a dredge deck!!

S

sageridder

You raise some good points. I would however like to see your decklist if you would care to share it and in what format you tested it.I'm not saying I could do better I just would like to see some other ideas this kind of deck could take as opposed to the top decks of this type we can find online.I'm just interested in some rouge ideas.

F

Force of Will Smith

ok well i think in my deck i mainly ran all dredge (as the original design made me lose all my removal and non dredge creatures)

3 darkblast (to dredge early)
4 life/loam (to dredge early)

golgari thugs+ sakura tribe elders to fetch 2 lands

3 graveshell scarabs
4 necroplasms for repeat global kill

2 golgari trolls (for mammoth 18/18's)

3 stinkweed imp (for creature kill, albeit expensive)
3 dredge enchantment

it also ran putrefys and things like that
but they became useless as every time you dredged you'd gamble..
hmm... ok well i need 1 more land to cast scarab... BUT! if i could get a necroplasm
i'd kill his army.... Dredge 6 from troll,(putrefy, land, land, sakura, land, darkblast)

i think dredge can work.. but only when used against the philosophy of (OMG TURN 1 DREDGE 6!) rather i think..

t1: forest, birds
t2: swamp, putrefy their creature
t3: forest, sakura, necroplasm
t4: grave shell scarab,...
dredge necro
dredge necro
dredge necro

THATS how it works..
one way in which i would win with my dredge was to play a flier.. then lay the dredge enchantment on it.. after they kill it.. i dredge it right back...

so perhaps a will of the wisp with the armor on it would be quite nice...
also its unaffected by necroplasm (which btw.. is SO much fun against elves, goblins, white weenie, tokens, and green in general)

you might also be able to get a cool combo with thug+witness+ any kill spell..

you'd have to run something like...
turn X: pay 1B (thug) pay 1 (sac thug to witch) put witness on top of library
(2B)
turn Y: draw witness, pay 1GG, return putrefy, 1GB to kill, pay 1 to sac to witch(2GGGB)

even then this only kills every other turn, and denys you draws both times..
it'd be easier to maindeck

4 umbilicus
4 blood clock

4 bone shredder
4 nekrataal

4 witness

so i dunno... im so tired of studying... arrgh.. excuse me if my ramblings make even LESS sense

M

mythosx

Dredge is pretty darn good but you have to capitalize on the interaction between life from the loam and cycling lands. It requires a good deal of mana but with mana bond you can generate the mana realy really fast...techinally, you can dredge your entire library into your graveyard if you had enough mana.

The key to dredge is cyclying lands. Remember that.

Life from the loam + Fluctator = draw three cards = dredge three cards
Life from the loam maybe dredged again and again...

You could concievably drop all your lands with in the first few turns....

F

Force of Will Smith

it would work well with getting lots of lands in the graveyard.. but you'd lose a lot of good cards as well.. so to make it work youd either have to have it only as a draw engine with 3 gaea's blessings.. or set aside a large portion of the deck to things you could bring back from the grave, or spells you could return to your hand..
fluctuator is incredibly overrated..

maybe a flashback monogreen deck with dredge??

that might be pretty amazing..

dredge a crash of worms and call of the herd... then flashback it?
hmmm... that might have some ridiculous synergy..