Dragonlance expansion set

D

DarthFerret

FoWS's project that he is working on, and my own love of spoofs, has prompted me to make an expansion set based entirely off of the Dragonlance Series by Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman. I have already made all of the Heros of the Lance, and have designed most of the races. (Hill, Mountain, and Gully Dwarves; Silvanesti, Qualinesti, and Kagonesti Elves, Kender, etc...)

I will post some of my finished examples here for you to critique. What I do need help with is coming up with artwork. I will occasionally post some of the cards that need art, and hopefully y'all can help me find some appropriate artwork to go with it.

Right now I am having troubles finding artwork for the following:

Knight of the Crown
Knight of the Sword
Knight of the Rose

Holy Order of the Stars (Cleric- White Robed)

Gully Dwarf

White Robe Wizard
Black Robe Wizard

Any help would be appreciated. I would also like to give credit to the illustrator, so if you can include that as well, I would be very grateful.

Now here are some examples of what I have so far. (not putting all of them..yet...)

Attachments

D

DarthFerret

I am also running into a problem designing spells (instants, enchantments, sorceries) that follow along the Dragonlance theme. Any ideas will be welcome.

E

evan d

the first is underpowered in comparison to Vulshok Sorcerer

The second and the third are massively overpowered.

F

Force of Will Smith

oh man.. i dont really know anything about dragonlance..

the guy who can draw you a card for 1U is a little broken though..
the wizard staff and the graveyard sunburst guy are my favorites.

sunburst on him seems a little wierd.. but then again i dont know dragonlance.
try searching on www.epilogue.net. I've found tons of pics when before i would take what i could get.. also try to look at people who have illustrated for dragonlance.. then check if they have a website.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Astinius' Library and Tasslehoff are totally broken. Raistlin is also insanely good (he costs a lot, but can recur any of your instants or sorceries easily as well as swinging for at least four damage).

The ability you gave the staff doesn't fit with what it did in the books, although that isn't a big deal to me at all...

I guess that you could have Fistandantalus' spellbook (totally not going to look up the spelling of his name) as an artifact, I guess. The life-draining spell he used on other black robes and tried to use on Raistlin could be a sorcery...

The transportation spell Raistlin used to save himself when the boat was going to be lost could be an instant or sorcery.

Goldmoon's funky healing stuff could be a spell.

When the cleric dude in the first book (not looking up his name either) used the power of Takhisis (not going to look up the spelling of her name) to attack Raistlin, that could be an instant or sorcery.

The dream thing in the second book could be an instant, sorcery, or enchantment.

The dragon orb could be an artifact.

Of course the dragonlance could be an artifact.

The flash powder trick could be...something.

The time travel spell that kept being used in the Dragonlance Legends could be incorporated somehow.

The spell Raistlin used to make Ariakas vulnerable could be an instant or sorcery.

A lot of things could be used somehow, but it's been forever since I read any dragonlance books and even longer since I read the ones that were actually good...

D

DarthFerret

Okeyday now to try and fix some of the problems here...

Astinius' Library -- it is a one time tutor, but can be for free. Should I give it a mana cost such as <2><t>: Sacrifice <this> to search your library for any card and put it into play?

Tasselhoff - Should it be 2UU to get the card from the bottom...(thinking the bottom because of the way Kender pockets works in the game system rules)?

Raistlin - I could rais the cost to BBB to balance it out some, but remember he will be a Super-Rare, as will all of the Heros of the Lance.

Thanks FoWS, I will check that out for images (I really need a better one for the "Krynn's Cataclysm".) (had to name it that since there already is a Cataclysm card in Magic)

Ok, Oversoul, I really appreciate your help here. Yes I am planning to do something with the spellbooks of Fistandantalus' (yup you spelled it right) and it will be an artifact. Same thing with the Dragonlance itself.

Fistandantilus' Bloodstone would be a cool black sorcery. May work on that one.

The transport spell...not sure what to do with that...maybe remove a creature from combat? (would probably be blue in that case)

The funky healing? not sure what you mean there....the Blue Crystal Staff will be an artifact also, but as for healing, she was just using clerical powers boosted by the staff...I think...let me know if you remember different.

hmmm....Cleric Dude?...was that a draconian? I have all the draconian types as Artifact Creatures (since they were created, not born) but not sure what spell you are refering to.

The dream....Might use that...as well as using the Dream of Lorac (the elf king of Silvanos)

Dragon Orb would be a good artifact...I hadn't thought of that one...

hmm...Flashpowder....kinda like a dazzeling effect?...not sure what to do with that one...

Time travel?....unless I remake a TimeWalk...not sure how to use that either, but I will think on it...

hmm...Raistlins spell for Ariakas...Maybe something that turns a creature into a 1/1 until end of turn?...that seems pretty vulnerable to me....

I have almost all of the books, excluding the Fifth Age books, but I am working on getting those too! The latest trilogy is pretty good....Mina is an interesting character and it is fun to see how she developes throughout the series...

Thanks again...any other ideas would be helpful.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret said:
hmmm....Cleric Dude?...was that a draconian? I have all the draconian types as Artifact Creatures (since they were created, not born) but not sure what spell you are refering to.
His name was something very uncreative and bad-sounding. I believe it was something like "Verminaard." He was in Dragons of the Autumn Twilight. He beat up on Caramon and/or Tanis, I think. When he saw Raistlin, he called upon Takhisis to render the mage powerless. Goldmoon did something there, but I forget what. And I think Riverwind eventually killed him. I thought maybe the thing he used to protect himself from Raistlin could be some sort of instant or sorcery. "Grip of Takhisis" or something like that...

D

DarthFerret

Hmmm...Verminaard...I remember the name..I might have to look that up to see what it was. The card sounds good, and gives me several ideas on cards based on major dieties. Tommorrow after my interview (trying to finally get a job) I will try and post the three card revisions, along with a couple more for fine-tuning. I want to get this set done in about a month or so.

D

DarthFerret

It is a designation that I am using to affect certain cards, and only them.

For example: Tanis Half-Elven gives all Heros of the Lance +1/+1. (since he was thier leader)

I do not want to take it as far as the whole sliver fiasco went, but I also did not want it to be creature type, because there were kender, dwarf, elf, barbarian, cleric, wizard, etc...in the party.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, okay. I wasn't sure if it was a "keyword phrase" that would have been explained for the whole set, like "Heros of the Lance get +1/+1 for each creature blocking it" or something like that.

D

DarthFerret

Not quite, although I will probably do more with them latter on. The set, as it stands right now, is gonna be about 143 cards or so. May grow or shrink a little bit. Not sure yet.