Double-Helix

R

Riva Iron-Grip

has anyone heard of the double helix? well you should have. it is DNA.. or otherwise known as thermonucliec acid. i just got a book from hartnell's library by Robert Olby. it rights a very persuasive arguement. now dw, this is mainly pointed to you. since you are on the science team, maybe you and i can have a logical scientific conversation.
would you like to discuss this dennis? or maybe even some physics?
unfortunately i couldn't find any books concerning Einstiens theory, or special theory of relativity. it is pissing me off. our library is kind of a mess.

Z

Zadok001

"thermonucliec acid"

WHAT?

Deoxyribonucleic Acid, I believe, is what DNA means... Thermonucliec would imply a temperature-based molecule. That would be odd.

M

Mr_Pestilence

Physics? Biology? I'll take some of that action! Include me in any of these discussions!

Also, I have a BA in English, so I will volunteer myself as a judge for any English kinda competition.

R

Rando

You're right Zadok. It's Dioxyribonuclaic Acid.

And Einstien's Relativity Theory has nothing to do with it.

Z

Zero

I agree with everything thats been said here.

Hehe, wish I knew what it meant;)

T

terzarima

What?!? Zero, if you're going into university and you haven't heard of a double-helix, or deoxyribonecleaic acid (don't care about spelling) or that its made up of acids itself like thaimine? I'm almost surprised

D

dw51688

Math is my forte, but if you wanted we could discuss science. Sorry but I hate life science. At science team today, we had a philosophical debate about life. One person proposed that we are living in the feces of a larger being. He says that our feces could have a universe in it. :D

When you flush you destroy. :):p

M

Mr_Pestilence

Uh, that's Tyrosine, not Thiamine. Also Guanine, Cytosine and Adenine. Unless of course you are speaking of Ribonucleic Acid, in which case Uracil replaces Tyrosine.

All clear now?

D

dw51688

D.N.A. is a nucleic acid that carries the genetic information in the cell and is capable of self-replication and synthesis of RNA (A polymeric constituent of all living cells and many viruses, consisting of a long, usually single-stranded chain of alternating phosphate and ribose units with the bases adenine, guanine, cytosine, and uracil bonded to the ribose. The structure and base sequence of RNA are determinants of protein synthesis and the transmission of genetic information). DNA consists of two long chains of nucleotides twisted into a double helix and joined by hydrogen bonds between the complementary bases adenine and thymine or cytosine and guanine. The sequence of nucleotides determines individual hereditary characteristics.

C

Cateran Emperor

I don't get it. I understand every word everyone's saying, but what's the argument here that we're debating about?

G

Gerode

I believe everyone is just typing their definiton of DNA.

DNA is genes and stuff. It's a spiral, like the cool Mac & Cheese. 'Nuff said.

I don't like Life Sciences either. That's why I'm in Chem. Of course I was (maybe still am) doing biology events in Science Team for the past 2 years.

P

Purple_jester

Haha. Ademis is right. It's thymine. He spelled it wrong. Thiamine is a vitamin. Tyrosine is a nutritionally non-essential amino acid.

If anyone's got a Bio question, ask me. Don't look at me when it's Math, though. I personally don't use anything past simple algebra. ;)

Oh, and Gerode, in my line of "work" Chemistry IS a life science.

A

arachiron

Oh will you people stop worrying about a spelling mistake? :)(granted in science, it does matter)

Now, since we're on DNA, here goes:

Almost all disorders can be solved on the genetic level, viruses, genetic mutations, cancer, and the list goes on... (on a side note, is there any disorder that can't be at least treated? just curious)

The parents of a child with EB or epidermolysis bullosa sp? have been told that gene therapy can be used to prevent such another occurence of that genetic disorder in their next child. The rather new and experimental procedure calls for in vitro fertilization with a technique called PGP (preimplantation genetic diagnosis)which is basically taking out ovaries, inserting sperm, and producing zygotes with healthy genes that do not have this disorder. This whole procedure sounds like something from the movie Gattacca, leaving many religious groups concerned about such "futuristic" applications on humans. :)
Therefore, Congress has prohibited the use of federal funds to do research on human embryos.

What do you guys think about,

1. the ethical implications of testing on embryos

2. the discoveries, cures ect. that we might be missing w/ lack of research

3. a future (like in Gattacca)
in which we are judged by our genetic makeup and humans control the selections which were once controlled by chance or some higher power

*breath* Let's get this discussion O-on!:)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
1. Don't know much about it, but offhand I'd have to say this might coincide with abortion views and testing on live humans.

2. Again, don't know much about it, but I'd say the research will have to be done the best it can without sacrificing "integrity" and "ethics" (whatever they may mean, see #1; definitions are vague right now).

3. Pretty much disagree with this one, sounds too much like becoming a "super-race".

As a note of interest though, recently a family "created" a child (I think via test-tube) solely so that it could be a bone marrow donor for a younger sibling because there were no current matches. I'm sure the family will love the new child and everything, but it kind of raises the question of creating "donor farms" of some sort which doesn't exactly jibe with my personal beliefs.

C

Cateran Emperor

*Psychotic Episode*
1. Are you kidding? This is the most horrendous idea ever short of abortion (and let's not even START on that one). I don't care WHAT sort of good might come of it, it's something NO ONE was ever meant to tamper with. The possible evil massively outweighs any possible good that might come out of this by several degrees of exponents.

2. No, not nearly enough good could ever come out of this to justify this to me. The ends do sometimes justify the means, but this is NOT one of those times.

3. *cough*Al Gore*cough* Oh, excuse me. :D Seriously though, once again, that IS hell, where any one person can supposedly be boiled down to a number/set of numbers. What's with all the stuff recently about cloning (which thankfully died down and slightly vanished) and genetic manipulation. Does anyone remember the Nazis? Anyone? Superhuman race and genetic maipulation and all? When did this become okay? Never, that's when.

Regardless, if for some bizarre reason these, these experiments are made legal, then I swear I'm going to become a terrorist and start destroying any hospital or genetic clinic I come across.

*End Psychotic Episode*

Oh, sorry about that. TO sum it all up, BAD

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I never could understand why anyone feels they have to wantonly kill someone or destroy stuff just because they don't like the other's viewpoint. If you're starting from ground zero, no human life (from an acceptable or consensus definition) is worth taking over a disagreement (or destruction of property).

C

Cateran Emperor

Well Spidey, I'm always willing to listen to another's opinion. I never judge anyone for their beliefs, I actually have more friends who are Democrats than I do Republican friends.

This, however, is one of those cases where its something that I could never allow. I for one, am hoping that Gov. Bush wins the election and appoints ethical Supreme Court Justices to overturn Roe v Wade and get rid of the only current instance of, well, I don't even know how to classify these abominations. These are things that are never meant to even be considered tampering with.

Now as for death and destruction over a disagreement, sometimes that's the only thing that works. It's the way life is, as not everyone can be reasoned with.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I guess we're going to have to disagree. Despite the fact/opinion that that's the way life is and some people can't be reasoned with, there's no excuse for it. That's why the Mideast is the way it is right now.

Like Maverick said in the movie "It's just money. It's not worth killing over".

R

Rando

Frankly, I belive that unless you are a woman you have no right to say anything on the abortion issue, as it will NEVER directly affect you. Let women decide what happens to thier bodies in a situation that is entirely a woman's.