Don't quite get the grudge

N

Nightstalkers

I've been seeing more and more frequently lately that people who post a "casual" deck is usually flamed a bit by players for "tossing together a pile of cards." What is with this? It's a total debasement of the "casual" way. Why can't I toss together a deck that has 4x of a bunch of goblins, then a bunch of burns spells and play that? Or perhaps toss together a quick 5-color deck and play that?

What the hell is with these people and their heads stuck up the T2 rectum that they think that they should toss away their old cards because they're "useless" after they phase out?

J

Jigglypuff

Umm, nobody's stopping you from "tossing together a pile of cards". But sometimes those piles of cards don't do very well, so people come onto various Magic-type sites and ask for help, usually by listing their deck and then describing the situations in which the deck doesn't do very well. Then other people make suggestions as to which cards to add or take out, in order to help with those various situations. Sometimes they dare to suggest taking out cards that the designer likes a lot. This then gets interpreted as "flaming" by hypersensitive people with thin skins. As a result of all this, those people are forever doomed to mediocre play because they refuse to accept help from other people.

Here's a tip for the wise: "casual" does not mean randomly throwing all your cool cards into one deck. Nor does "casual" mean that all "tournament" players are actually the embodiment of the evil smurf arch-nemesis Gargamel.

(- Steve -)

E

EricBess

So, I was in the office with someone who is a bit of a name player. He was trying to build a deck for the upcoming Team Pro Tour and kept going back to the binder because he thought of another card that he wanted to throw in. In the end, he had a 4-color monstrosity that probably simply isn't going to work.

But the point is, we had a fun time giving him a really hard time about it and he was laughing right along with us. A lot of "pro" decks are just a lot of cards thrown together, then tested out to see what works. Over time, they develop into what eventually becomes "good" decks.

So, anyone who gives someone a hard time for tossing together a pile of cards needs to realize that a lot of pros do it that way as well...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Well, in MY eyes, any deck put up here shouldn't be bad-mouthed, but constructive criticism should always be appreciated. I've critiqued decks that have a lot of individual different cards and discussed the advantages of putting in multiples, but I think I've always given each poster respect in the process....

...except for Spiderman. HE dissed Dwarven Pony, so he can fry.

Ransac, cpa trash man

N

Nightstalkers

What I don't like is people posting a deck like this:

4 centaur safeguard
4 phantom nishoba
4 autochthon wurm
4 flok medicine
4 urza's filter
4 heros reunion
4 dragon arch
4 ray of revelation
4 seeds of strength
4 selsnya signet
4 selesnya sanctuary
10 forest
10 plains

And then getting their ass handed to them by some jerk squad who keeps berating on about how they should focus on T2 (standard as they call it).

J

Jigglypuff

Are we, perhaps, drawing from personal experience here?

(- Steve -)

L

Limited

Nightstalkers said:
4 centaur safeguard
4 phantom nishoba
4 autochthon wurm
4 flok medicine
4 urza's filter
4 heros reunion
4 dragon arch
4 ray of revelation
4 seeds of strength
4 selsnya signet
4 selesnya sanctuary
10 forest
10 plains
Autochthon Wurm + Dragon Arch! Brilliant!

N

Nightstalkers

It's been in my experience that a lot of T2 players attempt to tell people to convert their decks toT2. So... it's a bunch of pushy players attempting to get people into a format that they don't want to.

J

Jigglypuff

So tell them to go fall in a ditch. Also, it may be a good idea for people to say which format they had in mind when they built the deck.

(- Steve -)

O

orgg

Was this at this site here, or another site?

One reason I enjoy this site as much as I do is an absense of that sort of player. However, I havn't been around the DECKS forum much anymore...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Unless it happened over the weekend (and I haven't reached that forum yet), I don't think it's here. The current people offering help aren't like that - in fact, hardly anyone is solely T2, from what I've seen.

Ransac said:
except for Spiderman. HE dissed Dwarven Pony, so he can fry.
That must have been an imposter! I would never dis Dwarven Pony - it has "dwarf" in the name!

H

HOUTS

I've been seeing more and more frequently lately that people who post a "casual" deck is usually flamed a bit by players for "tossing together a pile of cards."

The response is atypical of rather competitively driven sites (B.B., SCG, etc) geared to the PTQ or GP kind of play. It shoud come to no surprise that a response would be rendered.

Ferret

Staff member
I guess every deck starts out as something that someone "threw" together. They see a group of cards that they think will work together to win the game and then they look through their collection, build it and then test it. This is the way that every ORIGINAL deck comes into being. If it bombs, then it either gets altered to make it work better or dismantled...

...of course it if works and works WELL, it gets copied by other players that would like to win more often than not. This isn't necesarily a bad thing. Some of my "casual" decks that I used to use in my play group (soooo many years ago) were duplicated by friends that thought they could do it better. This, of course, inspired me to tweak my deck so that I could beat my own strategies. It's how the game is supposed to evolve...

-Ferret

"...that and releasing sets so fast that there is no way you can afford to keep up..."

Killer Joe

For a while, way back when, I was always T2 minded but that was because the only tournaments I could participate in were T2's. That's what was for dinner and so I ate it.

When I started judging then I became far more 'casual' (ironic, huh?) because I was playing with Mooseman and others of the same like-mindedness.

Oh, if I wanted to be shark-bait I could post one of my multiplayer decks at another site in their "Standard Forum" and get whaled!