Does anyone in your play group not know what he's doing?

D

Darsh

I've got another one, did you know a 0/4 wall can kill a 2/3 creature?(this one happened just today) This new group I've just joined is about to learn the real rules, from me.

H

Hetemti

Of course I knew that.

Venomous Fangs on Stinging Barrier.

I built a very nasty deck around that, once. Hermetic Crab from HELL. No more critters...until he takes a Bolt to the shell.

I

Istanbul

This is one that I did.

Local T1 tournament. Back when I had one Morphling and one Palinchron as my kill cards in my Draw-Go deck. (I now use three Morphlings.)

I had a Morphling on the board. If I could get one more attack phase, I would win. My opponent can't kill me; I have plenty of defense for his attackers, and lots of blue mana untapped. No counters, though.

Him: Draws.
Me: Sits there, confident.
Him: Casts Red Elemental Blast on Morphling.
Me: Sighs, and concedes.

Of course, I later made myself write 'MORPHLING CAN BE MADE UNTARGETABLE' 50,000 times on the chalkboard...

Z

Zadok001

Only 50,000? For that, I never would have quit writing... I'd have this little pad to carry around with me, writing it over and over and over and over and over- I'll shut up now. :)

Spidey, I think Duel made that part up... I'm famous for failure to observe the game very closely ("Whadda you mean, my creature's dead? I'm Wrathed to get rid of all your blockers, how'd you kill it?"), but I'm not so bad as to cast spells without any reason whatsoever. Despite evidence to the contrary ("I REB your Deadly Insect.")

One of my favorite 'Bad Plays' was my failure to kill Sakurai in a multi-player game when we were the last two players. He had a Mogg Maniac, and had convinced me he had a Martyrdom in hand, and that my attack would get me killed. Sadly, he had _no_ cards in his hand, something he made quite clear to me after the game with several stern whacks over the head.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Istanbul: I bet you opponent was happily surprised... :)

Zadok: Yeah, it was probably one of those "one-liners" you told me about :). I'm just joshin' witcha ;).

I know I have loads of bad plays but it's been so long since I've played I can't remember any of them.

Well, here's one. It's not THAT bad and I still won the game but...

I was playing my Manabarbs deck in my first local tourney back in '95 so the deck scene was still varied, with no "Decks to Beat" emerging yet (just the regular old archetypes like white weenie and Millstone decks). So my opponent has a Justice(?) out and everytime he taps mana, he takes damage from my Manabarbs which means I take damage from his Justice.

See the problem? Fortunately, I think I had some life gain and played a Glacial Chasm at one point for the finishing kill (Fireball?) but because I didn't read his card closely enough the game probably dragged on a lot longer than it could have :).

G

Gerode

You are not the only one to forget about Morphling's abilities. I tried to Arrest an opponent's Morphling at a JSS tournament. Unfortunately, my opponent DID remember to make Morphling untouchable :(
Somehow, I didn't seem to suspect anything when he dared me to Arrest it...

D

Darsh

Nothing major today, but someone tried to play defense of the heart and sacrifice it right after he played it instead of during his upkeep like the card says.

V

Volradon

Ok i have a friend with whom i play a lot of magic but the problem is i can almost never beat him. Either i forget to pay echo on half of my creatures (i have done that so many times, echo is the worst ability ever :) ) or he would top deck jachalup (he loves those) the turn i am about to kill him. I mean, my decks are basecly very goood , theoreticaly, compared to his. I mean a necro vs. all the random artifacts he can find around? Please.... And then he would beat me with it becasuse he got all the cards he needed to win (wich he has one of each in his deck) and i muligan down to four cards in hand and still get a load of crap. Has that ever happended to u? U know, u have a friend who u can almost never beat for no apparent reason?

D

Darsh

Your problem is that you get too nervous and anxious about the game that you forget to pay echo and things like that, just slow down at the beginning of your turn and think over in your mind what you have to do this turn.

V

Volradon

THis kid i was playing agains though that dark rit brought three swamps in to play

D

Darsh

I've had a hard time with dark ritual when I first started playing, I thought it stayed in play forever because it said mana source not instant.

G

Gerode

Every single newbie I've seen also thinks Dark Ritual is three lands that last permanently. They bcome confused when they see non-basic lands, too. I made the mistake of giving a deck to a newbie friend which had some Sandstone Needles. It took a long time to try to explain it, and I just said to treat it as a basic Mountain after a while.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Volradon: No offense, but just because you have a Necro deck does not mean an auto-win, even against a seemingly "pile". Again, don't take this the wrong way (and this is the kind of message that's hard to express in writing), but from what you said, if you make that many play mistakes then your opponent has that greater chance to beat you.

I'm not sure of a better solution than what Darsh said; play slow and make sure you've done everything in a phase before moving on to the next. It might seem dopey, but maybe make a crib sheet to check each phase to help you so you don't forget to pay echo or other upkeep costs or things like that.

Killer Joe

we have a silly habit of putting sarcastic remarks on the stack and responding to them with "Spiteful" spells".
Me: "Dude, your deck sucks, you ain't got no game."
Dude: "In response to that remark, bolt ya."
It's funny :)

D

Duel

I played against a guy who insisted that bubbling mucks double all black mana symbols, because all black mana symbols were swamps...
I remember:
Him: Swamp, rituals, muck, rituals, rituals, corrupt, take 14.
Me: Um, no.
Him: what do you mean?
Me: I take 1.
Him: No, I have 14 swamps.
Me: No, you have 1. 14 total mana. 1 swamp.
Him: You're cheating.
Me: Um, no. Look, let's ask that guy....
(ten seconds later)
Him: Leave me the hell alone.
Me: (Shrugs) Okay.
Him: They ARE swamps!
Me: That's not what he said.
Him: Screw you.
***End of conversation***

M

Mundungu

In my last tuesday night game group ( I get to play only tuesdays where it is Magic night at the local store)
a guy said that Worship does not prevent you to die if you deal the EXACT damage equal to the life total.

Eg : with worship in play, if you are at 1 life and you get exactly 1 damage then you die. If you get 2 damage or more then u Worship triggers.

He said that he had emailed Wizards and that they said he was right.

I disagreed but they insisted so I just attacked with my 1/1 and killed the guy with the worship out.

go figure.

Later I made a stupid mistake. I waz about to loose in a MP unless I killed one player in particular that exact turn.

I was playing elf ball and burned him for exactly 20 with a lot of mana left on the board that I could have used.

He then made me realise that he had Urzas Armor out and waz at 1 life ... I felt real stupid. But pulled the win anyhow with another trick up my sleeves.

I made thousands of other mistakes so cant recall them all.
I just know that I forgot countless times that Morphling can be made untargettable.

B

Bob

Not really. I actually don't even had a play group. Crap, this is spam. Just forget this. I feel dumb.....okay, maybe not. Well, better make the most of it. I play with this guy called Roger who says stuff like: "I feel uncomfortable without cards in my hand." and can be really strange. he sweats and gets scared when he's losing, and sometimes doesn't even think. He always tries to sever soul(his fav card) my avatar of woe. Sheesh.
Ps-hehehehe. spam....