Does anyone in your play group not know what he's doing?

E

ErinPuff

My brother thinks that draw comes before untap, upkeep comes when you remember it, and you untap everything when you need to use it. A typical turn of his might go "Draw. Forest. Llanowar Elves. Untap. Pay Force of Nature's upkeep. Attack. Sit there for a while... Me: SAY GO!!! Him: okay, go"

And our friend "Weeg" basically knows all the rules, but gets into big arguments with me that start with him saying something like "Know what's cool? Phyrexian Dreadnought was originally going to be a 27/27, but they decided it was too powerful." :p *sigh* and when I contradict him, he says "I heard it from five completely unrelated people online".. :p

The other person in our group just learned to play and doesn't know what she's doing yet, but that's forgivable, for a while at least.

R

rkoelsch

Things that you learn when first starting have a habit of sticking around. Of course some people never get the hang of it. I think even though it may seem nitpicky the group should start enforcing the turn stucture. It may make it uncomfortable for a few sessions but it will eventually pay off. There is nothing you can do with your 2nd example that kind of individual exists everywhere.

E

ErinPuff

My brother was the one who taught me.. but for some reason, I know the turn structure and most of the rules, and he doesn't..

For one duel against him, I did enforce the turn structure... he threw his deck at me and wouldn't clean it up. :p

E

Elrond

There's a guy in my play group, I'll call him Chris, that'll make the stupidest decisions I've ever seen. I mean he knows how to play decently, but he just doesn't know who to go after.

An example: One game we were playing and one of the guys had out an Avatar of Woe, a Worship, an Ali from Cairo and a bunch of other mean cards. Well Chris could've dropped the Worship and Ali, along with a good chunk of his life, enough for me or the other guy to finish him off, but instead he decides to kill me because he thought that I would do something stupid like drop him. Needless to say the guy with the Worship won.

That's only a small part of it. It's worse because he's one of those fairly rich kids that can afford to buy any card he really wants, and he's an idiot.

Z

Zadok001

One of my play group has a tendancy to do such things... He's actually signed up here, but I don't think I'll bother to give his name, lest he get rather embarrassed. He's most famous for things like Ivory Mask/Thran Foundry, failing to attack with 8/8 tramplers in duels while his opponent was at 6 (then blocking with it and losing it in combat). You get the idea. He knows the rules fairly well, but isn't much for the playing skills... And he can't wait to get his hands on Coalition Victory!

T

Thrash Golem

hey riva iron grip:

you can't, i repat CAN't, regenerate a cateran overlord thats already in your graveyard.

and this is a turn i had to put uip with once: (not riva tho)

play mountain
play scorched ruins
tap both for flame jet and cycle it at the same time
he paid 2 times the cycling cost so he draws 2 cards

L

lilpinhead

my father used to do make some of the funkiest mistakes when he first started playing with us...hes since gotten better but he still insists on attempting to giant growth his blastoderm in the heat of a multi player battle....oh well, it saves me a counterspell i guess

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
technically you'd be saving your counterspell for it later then, because your dad's making an illegal play and the Giant Growth just goes back to his hand for use later...

M

Multani

My current playgroup usually follow the rules.
My old playgroup :D is a different story.
We would disect words, in the text, we would play cards out of turn and we all had no idea what phases were. :D
It was wild during games, but hey! it was fun.

D

Duel

I've only ever had a few times where people actually didn't know what they were doing. Things like trying to attack with Carnivrorous plant, then syaing I was cheating when I said he couldn't (this actually happened. First time ever accused of cheating).
the guy in our playgroup, though he knows the rules, isn't attentive. He doesn't pay attention to wording or the board. If you ask him a direct question, though, he usually knows the answer.

G

Gerode

Here's a few recent mental lapses of my group:

A few months ago someone had a Crusade out. He played Winds of Rath (Destroy all creatures without enchantments on them), thinking the Crusade would save his white weenies.
A week ago I had a Stasis out, and wasn't able to pay its upkeep, so it died off. My opponent forgot to untap his Thorn Elemental (I was at 6 life) for 7 turns.
Probably the best player in our group believed that you did not have to take Fade counters off a Parallax Tide every turn, because it doesn't have the reminder text.
When I played Portal, I traded my brother a Thundermare for a Hulking Goblin.

D

Duel

Try A Wrath of God with no oppenents having creatures.

I think that was Zadok.

D

Duel

No, I think not. He began hitting himself in the head directly after it resolved....

D

Darsh

I've had one person tell me that you can put more than one land down per turn if you pay 1 mana for it.

T

Thrash Golem

Ive had people just bury lord of the pit if they didnt pay the upkeep.. and say you can discard any time you want, especially if you have avatar of woe and animate ded in your hand.

and, nonbasic lands dont count to your 1 land per turn limit.

oh yeah, scent of cinder counts itself, and cards in play.

you can certainly tap a llanowar elf the turn it comes into play..

massacre doesnt affect pro black creatures..

you can't bring out crovax and ascendant evincar at the same time cuz there the same guy!!!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Duel: That was part of the master plan! Self-flagellation! ;)

[Edited by Spiderman on September 27th, 2000 at 07:08 AM]

Z

Zadok001

The 'Master Plan' was actually to clarify to everyone that I was NOT short of creature removal. :) The rest of my hand was

Wrath
Wrath
Wrath
Swords
Swords
Swords

I'm sorry, no creatures allowed.