Do Saproling tokens have souls?

L

Limited

I've been wanting (dared to, actually) to build a deck around Phyrexian Soulgorger, an 8/8 artifact creature for only three mana with a slight drawback: cumulative upkeep - Sacrifice a creature.

At first I looked at ways to give him haste, so he would hit for eight at least once. Somehow that idea never developed into a whole deck.

Flash forward to now: I'm cleaning up my room and my pile of snow-covered lands. I see that I have a lot of snow-covered plains and forests left. Apparently, these weren't the snow colors of choice for me. Having decided to build a GW snow weenie deck, I grab a couple of Boreal Centaurs and some Into the Norths, when I realize I also wanted to do build a GW Aura deck. I look into the possibility of building a GW Snow Aura deck and find myself looking at the following cards:
- Fists of Ironwood
- Flickerform
- a lot of GW Weenies.

And the Phyrexian Soulgorger pops into my head.

Phyrexian Saproling Gorger said:
Creatures (21)
4x Boreal Centaur
4x Boreal Druid
2x Darien, King of Kjeldor
4x Phyrexian Ironfoot
3x Phyrexian Soulgorger (all I could find :mad: )
4x Ronom Unicorn
Spells (17)
4x Fists of Ironwood
3x Flickerform
4x Into the North
3x Pollenbright Wings (can you imagine this on a Phyrexian Soulgorger?!)
3x Seed Spark
Lands (22)
4x Arctic Flats
11x Forest
7x Plains
I'm on my way out to my weekly game, so I can probably tell you how it went tomorrow. But any hints/comments are, as always, appreciated!

L

Limited

I've played the deck only once yesterday, but am quite happy about it.

I fetched a couple of lands and played a couple of weenies, followed by a Soulgorger with a Fists of Ironwood. Things were looking good except for the Elder Druid who tapped my 8/8 trampler everytime. So, next turn, I played another Soulgorger and put a Pollenbright Wings on that one. That allowed me to hit with the trampler once, but then the upkeep costs were too much.

In retrospect, I should have put the Pollenbright Wings on something else (a Phyrexian Ironfoot) so I could have kept the original Soulgorger in play and won with the tokens.

I'm thinking the deck needs more creatures that'll work well with the Pollenbright Wings and the Fists of Ironwood. Any thoughts?

T

train

The token guys - when you sac them you get tokens...

Run them with Protean hulk and get all your creatures in play at once... That might be nice...

Or you could run them with "morph" manipulation, and they would never get counters on them for you to sac creatures...

L

Limited

Oh, you mean stuff like Symbiotic Beast .. those could work really well, but I've been trying to keep the deck Coldsnap/Ravnica block for now.

So the Protean Hulk is a great addition! I've changed the deck by swapping 4x Boreal Druid for a fourth Soulgorger (thanks to Jorael) and three Bramble Elementals. I felt I needed another 'big' creature to play Pollenbright Wings and Fists of Ironwood on. Protean Hulk would also do the trick. And fetching creatures that add up to six mana gives me a lof of options.

What do you mean by Morph manipulation?

T

train

If they are turned "face-down" for the upkeep period - no cumulative upkeep counter is gained... Their abilities have no effect - they are "blank" 2/2's...

Since no counter is gained during upkeep - flip them before attacking and beat the crap out of your oponent...

L

Limited

The only card that can turn a creature without Morph face down is Ixodron, and the you'd have to play Ixidor or Skirk Alarmist to turn it face up again. Moreover, it wouldn't lose the counter (just not gain new ones).

I think the Flickerform does the same thing, only better, cause it only takes one card and it removes all the age counters from the enchanted creature.

But perhaps I'm missing something?

T

train

I'll be honest - if it's blue - I don't know as much about it... but I would think more could turn something face-up or down than just ixidor...

Either way - if you could work that, it would be outright wrong...

I'm searching now...

L

Limited

You have Backslide, which turn a creature with morph face-down.. and the Wall of Deceit and Misschievous Quanar can turn themselves face down.. And Ixodron (from Time Spiral) turns all other creatures face-down when he comes into play.

Break Open turns a face-down creature an opponent controls face-up, Ixodor can turn any face-down creature face-up for 2U and Skirk Alarmist can turn your own creatures face-up.

I don't see how I can really abuse any of these cards in this deck.

T

train

Let me work on that for you...

(I still think it would be wicked awesome...)

L

Limited

I was actually waiting on your Phyrexian Soulgorger Morph tech, but you are right. I should be building my Eon Hub deck. And it could very well include Phyrexian Soulgorger..

T

train

I'm not giving up on the morph tech - but besides Illusionary mask - I thought there was something that could turn them face down over and over again...

Even with the mask - you would have to replay it over and over...

Or you could enduring renewal it with Haste....

S

-soad-

If youre gunna have phyrexian soulgorger in there, its good to get power conduit in there to take those counters off every turn. though you would still have to sac one before you can take it off, its well worth it.

T

train

Well - I thought about conduit - but it was a matter of trying not to pay anything at all.... unfortunately that didn't work morph-wise...

but if that's the case - you can counter the triggered ability while it is on the stack using multiple methods - then you don't have to sacrifice anything...

J

Jareth, Goblin King

To Limited, I know of a Phyrexian Gorger I could get my hands on for you. :)
Also, to all the guys on this message board, I suggest checking out Moraxain's Game Room. Its good, clean fun. :D

L

Limited

I already found a fourth (thanks again Jorael) but thanks anyway

T

train

They haven't been hard to get ahold of... Easily coming through on trades... I got four and let 'em ride... but I was looking at them in a Sneak Deck...

J

jorael

Greater Good seems also an interesting card with the Soulgorgers.

S

-soad-

greater good seems good in any deck with a mass of creatures with power 4 or higher. especially in a leviathan deck(by leviathan i mean any creature with power/toughness higher than 8/8, which i have.