Destroy the Pro Tour?

S

shafe 3:16

Hello,
I am new here and I thought I would throw out a topic. What does everyone think of the Pro tour? I personally hate it. I think it is a waste of a resource that could be used for better Magic sets or make packs cheaper. Currently the Pro tour costs WOTC money. They say it is used for advertising and lagitimizing the game of magic, but has it really done this? It has been 3 years and the game has gone into decline. What mainstream coverage does the Pro tour get? None. The same players are always there and the formats are always limited. Extended and Block constructed formats are weak. Why isn't there a T2 Pro Tour like the first one?
Before this turns into a rant I just wanted say that I think this site is a great idea and I feel proud being part of it. I have been playing magic for 5 years and I have been a "pro" and a casual player. I love the game and I hope this site can help keep it around.
BTW: I think the best way to exact change at wotc is not go thru Wotc, but Hasbro. They might be more inclined to inact change if hasbro feels the consumers have concerns. Just a thought....

T

The Magic Jackal

I have been in favor of a type 2 pro tour for years now. anyway, welcome to the cpa shafe

S

Spaceman Spiff

why why ....WHY!??!?! ya i want whatever jackal said.... :)

C

Chaos Turtle

Type 2 Pro Tour now!
Uhm, I could care less whether they keep the Pro Tour.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I'm against the Tour generally because it offers CASH PRIZES and the accompanying behavior and attitudes have generally digressed (at least, that's my perception of it - hence my opinion :)).

Has there ever been a Type II format?

M

Mr_Pestilence

There are problems with the Pro Tour, but there should be some format where the best Magic players can be identified and rewarded.

This does of course bring out the worst in some people, but it can also serve as a motivation to improve your own skills, and provide a standard to gauge your own progress.

So the Pro Tour does serve a useful purpose, even if some people abuse it.

A

Almindhra

I like the Pro Tour and hope they keep it...It gives Magic a forum that people outside can see that its not just some demonic game with little pieces of paper...

Ferret

Staff member
Currently, the only thing I like that the DCI is doing is Friday Night Magic. If it's run by a good store it can be a lot of fun for people that don't care about winning huge purses or taking home three boxes of boosters - it's fun and encourages good play.

-ferret

"article about this forthcoming"

G

Gizmo

I think that a T2 Pro Tour is a necessary step.
Having been on The Tour once or twice I can only say that it is nothing like it appears in the coverage - the gravy trainers are as clique-ey as a High School football team, but everybody else is having a great time. The PT coverage places too much emphasis on the top echelons and in so doing discourages most players. The Pro Tour should be something to inspire players to work towards, but that ideal has died and most players now realise they will never make it to a Tour. Opening up T2 Pro Tours should help reverse this trend.

A

Apollo

I think that the Pro Tour is a good thing because there should be something to recognize and reward the top players. I think that the abuse of the Pro Tour is bad, but does not take away the fact that it is a good thing. Of course, the only way the pro tour will affect me is giving me interesting (sometimes) reports to read.

Apollo

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Make the top prize a trophy or something similar. Maybe $100 or savings bond or some small token like that also.

I

Istanbul

Heck, I'd love to attend a Pro Tour, but I don't know *how*. I don't know where to go, if I need a certain number of DCI points, or what.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The only sure-fire way I know is to win a Pro Tour Qualifier (PTQ). You might be able to go on DCI points but you'd need an astronomical amount (1900+? 2000+?). Did you look at WOTC's website for info? Oh, winning a Grand Prix event also might give you an invite. Gizmo or Jackal probably know, if anyone.

T

The Magic Jackal

what casual players want to know how to get on the pro tour? Isn't this ironic? The easiest way would be to win a PTQ. I don't think they give you invites for you rating, but they might do it for you pro tour points. I'm not quite sure, Gizmo would know for sure.

S

shafe 3:16

There are many ways to qualify for the pro tour.

1: Been in the top 25 of that format's rating.
2: Certain number of Pro tour points
3: Win a PTQ
4: Win a grand Prix
5: Be national or world champion.
6: Win a previous Pro tour.

I think #1 is why they don't have T2 Pro Tours. The ratings for standard are on a huge curve. You almost have to be over 2000 to make it. There are alot of people in standard. They used to publish the top 25 rated people, but I think they stopped that. At one time I was 30th now I'm so low I couldn't tell you where I rank.

I still believe the Pro Tour should be stopped. I think it influences other tournements too much. I believe it is what has made magic "boring". The reason I think this is that all the good decks are thought of before the cards come out. I would rather go to a local tourney and be suprised by a new deck type than read it on the Pro Tour coverage.

S

supascrub

Shafe 3:16 was close but not quite right.
1) It is not the top 25. It is the top 50 previously univited players in that format at a specific date before the event.
2)This is the one I'm not sure about. Gizmo?
3)You can win a PTQ, make finals of a two slot, etc.
4)The top 8 at a GP qualify. The invitations pass down if someone who is qualified makes top 8.
5)I don't think national champions get invites.
6)The top 32 at a pro tour get invites to the next one.