Demographic Poll

Z

Zadok001

Duel! You're making those awful puns again! And you got Chaos Turtle in on it this time!

"My cod! You're gonna kill me just for the halibut! --Duel, IRL"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dune: I'm going to have to disagree with you. Money MAY play a small role, but I think it's more of an interest thing. I just don't see alot of ethnical diversity in the fantasy genre, period. Wargaming, role-playing, card playing, you name it, it's got a mostly white audience.

However, console games seem to be the exception.

There are plenty of "non-white" folks who can afford boosters but choose not to, just as there are plenty of "white" folks who have the interest but can't afford to.

G

galtwish

Good points by all on the wealthy background/leisure time thing. I came from Orange County, Ca. one of the richest areas inthe world. We had a few women players a few Hispanic/Latino/Native Cental-South American whaterever they want to be called now players, a Black player or two (who am I to say if they aren't pure African rather than Afro-American), and quite a few Asian players. But 90% Anglo (Western Euro decent).
I really think a reason that there aren't more "minority" players in all fantasy games is due to there general underrepresentation in the general populace. Fantasy gamers of all sorts probably account for 1-3% of the overall population of the USA (for example) Take Hispanics; in California, I would guess that they represent between 12%-18% of the total population, but only 10% of those Hispanics fall into a demographic that makes fatasy gaming a viable hobby (location, income, support of community). take 1-3% of these guys and gals, and there you go, very very few interested in even playing.
Add to this the phrases commonly used in Magic:
"Fuck"
"Random Mexcian"
"Fuckin' scrub/little kid"
"Jesus Christ"
"Suck it down"
"Fag/homo/butt pirate/brown eye"

jeez, why do I go to tournaments...

Now I live in diverse LA and the local shop I go to looks like this:
15% Hispanic
20% Asian/Pacific Islander (yes, not just Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Vietnamese)
0% Black
65% White

and 0 women. I don't blame them, it's kind of a juvenille environment.

Just for the record
Nordic (Anglo, not Saxon)
B.S. Business Management
married, no kids (3 cats)
Apartment
1 car
$35,000

and don't take any thing/racial type I wrote as derogatory. I just have a real hard time buying into race typing and the accepted term for one's race or background.

Erik

M

Mundungu

I have a very fuzzy theory ...

Middle age depicts only white guys mostly fighting with the heretics from across the mediterrean see.

And Fantasy mostly bases itself on middle age type of set, adding magic and other stuff.
So basically the white community has it easier to represent itself in this setting.

Asians, especially japanese and chinese also had their aera of chaos, warlords and tales of magic, so would be more subject to accept the game too.

Maybe if Lancelot would have been black, things would be different.

Same for the girl stuff. Which girl would have liked to be the princess staying home just waiting for the valorous Knight ? Apart from Joan of Arc Middle age is not associated with women, so there is no identification.

I think a game like Vampire attracted more women and girls than Dungeon and dragons.

Well once again, its just a thought