Decks?

F

FadingInsomniac

Could you explain the basic elements of a good deck for me? My deck really sucks.

I

Istanbul

Yikes. Ask the easy ones, why don't you.

Well...for one, consider that each card in your deck should be optimal. Don't play Shower of Sparks if you can play Shock. Don't play Craw Wurm if you can play Yavimaya Wurm.

For another, consider your mana mix as it relates to your average casting cost. If your average spell costs 3 or 4 mana, you want 24/60 lands. If your average spell costs only 2 mana, you can get away with 22. If your deck is FULL of cheap spells, you can go as low as 20. (Any less, and I find myself wanting for mana.)

Also, try to keep your deck at 60 cards, or close to it. If you have 65 cards, that's too many.

Ask yourself, 'What does my deck DO?' How do you win? Creature beatdown? Burn? Board control?

Killer Joe

Those of you out there that are purists' will hate this reply.
...ahem,
I suggest that you copy several of the winning decks out there in any format because this will give you a good idea of what works. It'll help you trigger other thoughts that no one may have thought of. Believe me, I'm all about playing rogue decks (remember, I love 5CG). In fact, it is so rare now that I play a "Dojo Deck" that I almost personally puke when I hold one. HOWEVER, I started out playing big time decks like David Price's version of Sligh, and Randy's Draw-Go and others and it helped me understand it more. And you don't need the cards to practice, here's what you do; you make proxy's of the power cards and put together a successful deck and test-play with it. The more you play with these proxy's and realize the potential of the card(s) the more motivated you'll be to acquire them. And with these cards you may discover other possibilities that will be your own and be successful. There is one problem though, when you come to the fork in the road where you have to choose 1.) I'll stick with copying Dojo decks or 2.) I'll start making original decks. #1 is real easy to choose and #2 is wicked hard because it could mean not winning as much or being made fun of because you're not using tech that others don't understand etc... The more mature person will choose the high road (#2) for the most part.
Amen.

D

Dune Echo

TAG GUARD

Oh, great, Yellowjacket! Why don't you just corrupt him right off the bat?! :D I'm kidding. No, it's actually a really good idea. But realize, that if you want to have fun, you have to do things our way once you get off your power trip. :D

Seriously, I always find a card I like or just want to try out and basically try to find a way to kill with it. Complex Automaton is a great example of this. Complex Automaton is way better than Masticore in a Stupid Red Burn deck. As long as you have an Automaton and 5 or less lands out, you'll have continuous burn along with continous burn. Yeah, it's cheesy, but try and find a better place for Complex Automaton other than a land-light Draw-Go! (Good luck on finding it too!)

I

Istanbul

I found a better way to handle Complex Automaton's drawback: use it to your advantage! Play him alongside Pandemonium.

"Take 4."
*boing*
"Take 4 again."
*boing*
"Take 4 again. Isn't this fun?"

D

Duel

Istanbul, pandemonium is one of the most widely able and versatile cards I have ever seen. The complex automaton isn't the most original usage. Sandscouts and cutthroats run on the same policy. In fact, my first pandamonium deck consisted entirely of creatures that could attack the turn they come in to play, and ways to bounce them

MEanwhile, a good dck is fun. I don't care about win percentage, I don't care about metagame or sideboard or anti-combo, a good deck is one where you walk out of the game with a smile on your face. I too suggest starting off copying decks you see around you, though I personally didn't, or trying to build a theme deck to get started.

L

Lady Re

Well, my method is probably backwards, but hey, it works for me.

I am the "Great Defender" of unloved crappy cards, and I find strange and unusual ways to make decks out of them. These very Rogue decks are lots of fun, and I am finding they work way too good sometimes, so new synergy is possible from almost any card.

For instance, I liked those very unloved Urza's lands, Urza's Mine, Power Plant and Tower that make colorless mana, and make double and triple if you have all 3 in play. I made a deck of all colorless and artifacts (and a bit of blue, because I added in Tolarian Academy) and it kicked. It frustrated everyone I played against, even those who had Artifact removal or Land destruction decks, because the mana ramped up way too fast, and with additional artifact mana, you can see the fun and the frustration. ;)
I really didn't push the Blue, or I think this could have been more maddening to face then the standard "Academy" decks before it got banned. I took it apart rather then get to power crazy...

(Don't be seduced by the Dark Side, Luke...) :p

Currently, I am playing what some of you may remember is my Pesky Critters deck, using most of the critter generators for Cat tokens, Snake Tokens, Squirrel tokens, Beast Tokens...etc. About the only one I don't have is Saproling Tokens, cuz I'm kinda biased, and had plenty of other token makers. In it's last incarnation of like 85 cards, it still worked too well, I'd make tokens, and then either overrun or use Coat of Arms and win. I just had a "Pro" friend help me pare it down to 60 cards (61) and I am now just testing the new deck to see if it has lost any of its fun or synergy.

I suggest you take a game mechanic or card or creature you like, and run with it, and then keep looking thorough you cards (and at the cards you opponents play with) for new ideas to improve you deck--at the least it is a lot of fun to be Rogue, and it confuses you opponents terribly. :) :) :)

Sorry for the long post you all, wake up now!!!