Deck copied off of Bennie Smith

R

rkoelsch

I like this deck a lot. It looks like it should work okay. I would like some help tweaking it a little.

SLEEPING BEAUTY v. 3.0
4x Duress
4x Probe
4x Breath of Life
2x Life/Death
4x Vodalian Merchant
4x Standard Bearer
4x Meddling Mage
4x Devout Witness
1x Coalition Honor Guard
1x Ertai, the Corrupted
4x Reya Dawnbringer
2x Adarkar Wastes
2x Caves of Koilos
4x Dromar's Cavern
4x Swamp
5x Plains
8x Island

The mana sources feel much smoother, with 14 blue, 13 white and 10 black available. The Merchants are just fantastic in the deck as living Probes, allowing you to dig a little deeper and to pitch creatures into the graveyard for reanimation.

I decided to try an Ertai since he has the same colors as the deck, and his ability is actually quite useful in a deck with graveyard recursion. Basically a backup to the Meddling Mage to help prevent Wrath-level disasters.

Meddling Mages and Standard Bearers remain as disruption and protection for Reya's eventual entrance, and I went ahead and added a Coalition Honor Guard for flagbearer redundancy. Honestly, the flagbearers are key — since they not only protect Reya, but they protect you, too. For instance, with a flagbearer in play, your opponent can't just point burn spells at your head to burn you out; if their spell can target a flagbearer, it must target a flagbearer. From the errata to the FAQ:

"If a spell or ability an opponent controls could target a Flagbearer in play, that player chooses at least one Flagbearer as a target."

With a Flagbearer in play, you don't have to worry about Ghitu Fire or Shocks aimed at your head. That can be quite a relief when you're low at life and have finally gotten a Reya on the board.

Cards I would like to change- Life/Death there has to be something better than this overcosted split card. Vodalian Merchant-I understand there purpose but I just wonder if there are too many cards that I am discarding if I keep these I don't want 4 copies of Devout Witness
LMK any other ideas