Deck Building on a Budget: You Can Keep your Morphling.

• Thread starter Shiro, Time Devourer
  • Start date
S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Maindeck (Deck+Sideboard)

All Prices are median.

Type F R U Price Peak
G Sylvan Swarm 2 6(10) 11(12) $43.65 ($53.90) Hystrodon ($8)
R/B Insidious Rifts 2 3 10(19) $27.30 ($32.90) O.Cemetery ($5)
u/W Bird Soldier deck X 4 7(9) $31.50 ($34.95) I. Angel ($8)
W/G/B Linking Wumpus X 4(5) 6(7) $24.25 ($29.70) Chainer/Y.Agenda/T.Wumpus ($3)
R/U Time Machine X 8 3(6) $36.60 ($40.65) FOF, Future Sight ($5 each)

R (Goblin Sligh) X 4 9 $34.40 Goblin Piledriver ($4)/Top 8 EX

*Sylvan Swarm starts off with small utility critters like Sylvan Safekeeper and Wild Mongrel, and then it gets out lands as quickly as possible to make room for big creatures like Hystrodon and Gurzigost. Victory condition: Attack w/ all, including a Terravore; SS all creatures you can, float as much mana as possible to play Tribal Unity and/or Overrun for the win.

*Time Machine puts out a lot of cheap creatures for chump defense and the occasional attack. At the start, it looks like it's in trouble, what with a bunch of easy-to-off creatures, but in the late game it finds numerous ways to come from behind with the pricier Cowardice, Future Sight, Aether Charge and Wormfang Manta. Win Conditions include:

I: Rites of Initiation+Firecat Blitz or Keep Watch, aided by

1. Cowardice, Unnatural Selection to bounce opposing creatures, then swing like crazy.
2. Future Sight, put out about 6 critters a turn

II: Too Many Turns w/ Wormfang Manta

Wormfang Manta+Unnatural Selection+Cowardice (6UU)
Wormfang Manta+Waterfront Bouncer (5UUU and 1 card)

Play a Manta, stack a positive turn on top of a negative turn, use the positive turn to stack another + on a -, keep doing so until you get what you need to win. Worst case scenario is that you get decked, you forget to play WM again, or somebody's holding back on an answer to it.

WARNING! If the loop is wrecked (Unlikely if not done by the first turn), you'll have all those negative turns to worry about and you'll almost certainly be defeated by the time you recover.

III: Beasts and Aether Charge

A.Charge, use W.Bouncer or Cowardice+Unnatural to replay any cheap beast. Victoly!

*Monored Goblin Sligh (MGS), played by Patrick Mello, made it to the top 8 in a GP Reims Extended Tournament.

J

Jigglypuff

Those are some pretty cute decks. However, the Wormfang Manta deck doesn't work. The extra turn you would take when the Manta leaves play is skipped by the Manta's CIP ability. The reason the trick works with Wormfang Manta and a phasing card is because phasing (for some silly reason) triggers leaves-play abilities, but not CIP abilities.

Also, can you explain the key at the top of your post? What does F R U Price Peak mean?

(- Steve -)

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Wouldn't this work in the same way as the Faceless Butcher/Nantuko husk thing, with an LP on top of a CIP?

Also, some TABs on the source document fizzled.

F= Format
R= Rare count
U= Uncommon count
Price= Total price of the deck
Peak= Priciest card.

T

train

No - the specific ruling stems from...

502.15d Permanents phasing in don’t trigger any comes-into-play abilities, and effects that modify how a permanent comes into play are ignored. Abilities and effects that specifically mention phasing can modify or trigger on this event, however. Permanents phasing out trigger leaves-play abilities as usual. (Because no player receives priority during the untap step, any abilities triggering off of the phasing event won’t go onto the stack until the upkeep step begins.)

Wormfang Manta
Color= Blue Type= Creature - Nightmare Beast Cost= 5UU JU(R)
Text (JU): 6/1, Flying. ; When ~this~ comes into play, you skip your next turn. ; When ~this~ leaves play, you take an extra turn after this one.

So it comes into play - you phase it out - the abilities negate each other...

Then it phases in - you don't lose a turn because of 502.15d, then you gain a turn awhen it leaves... and if you can phase at will... you should win...

:rolleyes:

J

Jigglypuff

And the whole "put the Manta's CIP ability on the stack and then make it leave play and then put the LP ability on the stack" thing doesn't work since the CIP ability makes you skip the next turn you would take. Whenever you would take it. Even if you did it that way, the game would try to give you the extra turn from the LP ability and then you would skip it as per the CIP ability.

To Shiro: This forum ignores extra white space, much like the way that web browsers ignore extra white space within the HTML code. If you want to make the text line up, you can use the Courier font which will make the text like this.

And train actually quoted the CR! Whodathot...

(- Steve -)

T

train

I actually read through it often... however, in San angelo, I'm limited to play experience and application of the rules... There's almost no freakin magic life here....

I have to travel 90 miles to get to a FNM and up to 3 hours to get to anything above FNM...

I have links to it on all 4 computers I use, and the CPA also...

It's like the Train bible... well... almost...

:D

W

WickedBoy6

You know, I always liked Morphling. It was a blue creature people were WILLING to play (not many of those), it has great combo potential with Hurricane, Hermetic Study, and numbers of other cards, but it wasn't until I began playing Rainbow Stairwell that I saw it's awesome power (though it was scrapped in favor of Time Warp).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
People were willing to play it because it was majorly undercosted for what it could do :) They don't call it "Superman" for nothing...

W

WickedBoy6

That's true. Good thing I managed to save mine, though it is a bit worn out (I made a killer blue deck using Palinchron/High Tide/Fireball)

W

WickedBoy6

LOL...So, does that make Spinal Villian "Doomsday"? (Okay, bad joke, but I liked Doomsday

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I only have one Morphling myself but I put it in my MP Manaflare deck and my group absolutely hated it the moment they saw it. Personally I think it's because it has a lot of text and for some reason that scares them, but I also spun their minds with the pumping up power before Damage and then pumping up toughness during the Damage Step. So now I can't really play it with them :(

W

WickedBoy6

Wow...Never thought of pumping power during damage, then toughness during damage prevention...Go figure... *chomp* ...I learn this great trick three years after it would've worked wonders for me.

T

train

See... You're already at a loss for friends peter parker, and then you go and scare them away...

Shouldn't your spider sense tell you not to pulverize them with wordy cards and damage tricks???...:p

W

WickedBoy6

Hey, it could still always work in my circle of friends...The only rule we follow that was enforced by the DCI was 4-cards-per-deck (though, for my artificer deck that runs 7 sets of Urza Lands, we make an exception).

W

WickedBoy6

An artificer deck wouldn't work without multiple Urza Land sets...Well it would, but... *chomp* ...I don't have enough colorless/effect lands to merit inclusion, and I'm not using basic lands when I can get effects...All I need i nthat deck is colorless, anyway, it's pure artifacts.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by WickedBoy6
Wow...Never thought of pumping power during damage, then toughness during damage prevention...Go figure... *chomp* ...I learn this great trick three years after it would've worked wonders for me.
It's pump before the Damage step; otherwise the Damage will get locked in.