Decent, Non-Pricey Rares for 5-Color - Red

D

Dune Echo

or...

The color everyone minimizes in 5-Color.

Earthquake, XR, Sorcery, 7th Edition Rare, Illus. Franz Vohwinkel
Earthquake deals X damage to each creature without flying and each player.
If you need to control groundpounders without protection from red, this is is a decent spell and also damages your opponent. If you don't plan on putting a lot of mana into the X part of the cost, Steam Blast and Breath of Darigaaz are probably better bets.

Epicenter, 4R, Sorcery, Odyssey Rare, Illus. Anthony S. Waters
Target player sacrifices a land. Threshold - All players sacrifice all lands instead. (You have threshold if seven or more cards are in your graveyard.)
Sometimes destruction is Dominaria's way of rebuilding. Sometimes it's not.
Expensive Stone Rain or red's more expensive version of Armageddon. This could be good, but I think I'd rather play Armageddon, which aren't that expensive anyway.

Fervor, 2R, Enchantment, 7th Edition Rare, Illus. Wayne England
Creatures you control have haste. (They may attack and T the turn they come under your control.)
The intensity of their glare was soon surpassed by the intensity of their attack.
Why this is rare, I really don't know... I think I'd rather play with Fires of Yavimaya, but this does speed up beatdown decks and it could be useful and slightly easier to cast.

Ghitu Fire, XR, Sorcery, Invasion Rare, Illus. Glen Angus
You may play Ghitu Fire any time you could play an instant if you pay 2 more to play it. Ghitu Fire deals X damage to target creature or player.
I might be the only person, but just how is this better than Disintegrate or Volcanic Geyser really? If you have to pay the "as an instant" cost, you're paying X2R, which is the red equivalent to Stroke of Genius, right? I'm pretty sure on which card of the two I would pick. (On a sidenote, why aren't they reprinting the good ol' red X-spells in the "advanced" editions? That's for the Issues section, I guess.) Personally, I would run Kaervek's Torch over this, because I'd rather have more defense against control versus the speed as beatdown is more about getting every point through than anything else.

Planeswalker’s Fury, 2R, Enchantment, Planeshift Rare, Illus. Christopher Moeller
3R: Target opponent reveals a card at random from his or her hand. Planeswalker’s Fury deals damage equal to that card’s converted mana cost to that player. Play this ability only any time you could play a sorcery.
Yes, this sucks, I'll admit, but it sure beats Lightning Cloud. At least you don't have to discard like you do with Pyromancy. Who wouldn't want to ante this?

Rakavolver, 2R, Creature — Volver 2/2, Apocalypse Rare, Illus. Scott M. Fischer
Kicker 1W and/or U If you paid the 1W kicker cost, Rakavolver comes into play with two +1/+1 counters on it and has “Whenever Rakavolver deals damage, you gain that much life.” If you paid the U kicker cost, Rakavolver comes into play with a +1/+1 counter on it and has flying.
This guy can get big, and if he has flying and spirit linked, you're going to be hurting your opponent. If you need a rare to ante, this is a good choice though.

Ruby Leech, 1R, Creature — Leech 2/2, Invasion Rare, Illus. Jacques Bredy
First strike Red spells you play cost R more to play.
“Its gems didn’t stop pulsating until they were completely removed.” —Tolarian research notes
If you need a first strike bear in red, this card can be decent, espcially if you need to fill red and you're minimizing it. Unfortunately, most people would rather play more burn than a creature for red. (I said decent people, not spectacular!)

Unfortunately this list is short for decent rares from the newer sets (the ones new players are going to have the easiest access to). I'll leave it up to others to chime in on the older cards (Gamble from Urza's Saga is restricted for a reason.)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Does "pain" stuff like Power Surge and Manabarbs make you too much of a target?

Is Mana Flare good in here?