Decent, Non-Pricey Rares for 5-Color - Black

D

Dune Echo

I am looking for a list of decent, cheaper rares for 5-Color that new players might have and could use without too much worry of anteing them. I'm looking for ideas from the new Fivers out there as well as stuff that people can think of. The newest sets might be the best place to start looking, now working with black...

Andradite Leech, 2B, Creature — Leech 2/2, Invasion Rare, Illus. Wayne England
Black spells you play cost B more to play. B: Andradite Leech gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
“Older specimens are completely encrusted with gems, which serve as both armor and weapons.” —Tolarian research notes
This could be good, but I think Derelor is just plainly better unfortunately because you have to have BB available to make him as good as Derelor.

Braids, Cabal Minion, 2BB, Creature — Minion Legend 2/2, Odyssey Rare, Illus. Eric Peterson
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player sacrifices an artifact, creature, or land.
Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions.
This creature is a little expensive I'll grant you, but it's worth the investment in that it's a creature version of Smokestack. Nice possibility for a control deck versus a land-light beatdown deck.

Crypt Angel, 4B, Creature — Angel 3/3, Invasion Rare, Illus. Todd Lockwood
Flying, protection from white When Crypt Angel comes into play, return target blue or red creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
Once an angel, now an abomination.
This card is actually pretty cheap on eBay is is really not that bad. This creature is essentially a 3/3 flyer with a limited built-in Raise Dead. However, there are not that many great blue or red beatdown creatures.

Dark Suspicions, 2BB, Enchantment, Planeshift Rare, Illus. Matt Cavotta
At the beginning of each opponent’s upkeep, that player loses 1 life for each card in his or her hand more than you have in your hand.
“After four thousand years, you learn to plan for betrayal.” -Urza
This is a possibility for beatdown decks that can consistently empty their hands fast. However, Black Vise (restricted) is still better. Would be a nice back up idea though.

Desolation Angel, 3BB, Creature — Angel 5/4, Apocalypse Rare, Illus. Brom
Kicker WW (You may pay an additional WW as you play this spell.) Flying When Desolation Angel comes into play, destroy all lands you control. If you paid the kicker cost, destroy all lands instead.
Yeah, this does not follow the Single Colored Mana Rule, but it's a 5/4 flyer for 5. If you can pull off the 3WWBB in a beatdown deck, you've just added an extra Armageddon to your deck and put a 5/4 flyer into play.

Diabolic Intent, 1B, Sorcery, Planeshift Rare, Illus. Dave Dorman
As an additional cost to play Diabolic Intent, sacrifice a creature. Search your library for a card and put that card into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Again, this is the beatdown deck's/poor man's Demonic Tutor. This is restricted and if you can get it to work right, it's not bad at all, just has inherent card disadvantage that you should be careful of.

Do or Die, 1B, Sorcery, Invasion Rare, Illus. Christopher Moeller
Separate all creatures target player controls into two face-up piles. Destroy all creatures in the pile of that player’s choice. They can’t be regenerated.
An alternative to Wrath of God/Planar Collapse/Rout if you need one, but it's not extremely great in that you can't remove specific creatures with it. The player will still choose to keep the creature that is winning the game for them.

Necravolver, 2B, Creature — Volver 2/2, Apocalypse Rare, Illus. Dave Dorman
Kicker 1G and/or W If you paid the 1G kicker cost, Necravolver comes into play with two +1/+1 counters on it and has trample. If you paid the W kicker cost, Necravolver comes into play with a +1/+1 counter on it and has “Whenever Necravolver deals damage, you gain that much life."
I play one of these in my Wicked Madness deck. While it's not exactly the cheapest card to buy, it's versatility is actually kind of fun to play with. I have been able to play this card fully kickered in a deck with only Invasion duals and Invasion sac lands and it's fun.

Phyrexian Infiltrator, 2B, Creature — Minion 2/2, Invasion Rare, Illus. Darrell Riche
2UU: Exchange control of Phyrexian Infiltrator and target creature.
“It is Yawgmoth’s will incarnate: an efficient machine that replaces inefficient flesh.” —Tsabo Tavoc
This creature is a Scathe Zombie with a built in Control Magic. Can be good. Especially if you can pull the trick where you swap him twice.

Tainted Pact, 1B, Instant, Odyssey Rare, Illus. Adam Rex
Remove the top card of your library from the game. You may put that card into your hand unless it has the same name as another card removed this way. Repeat this process until you put a card into your hand or you remove two cards with the same name, whichever comes first.
This card is essentially a black Impulse with a different kind of flexibility. It can allow you to dig deeper, but as you dig, you can't go back. This is still a really good card though.

Yawgmoth’s Agenda, 3BB, Enchantment, Invasion Rare, Illus. Arnie Swekel
Play no more than one spell each turn. You may play cards in your graveyard as though they were in your hand. If a card would be put into your graveyard from anywhere, remove it from the game instead.
This card is actually played by Kurt Hahn himself in his deck. Think of it as "All cards in your graveyard gain flashback equal to it's casting cost." If you can pull out Arcane Laboratory with it, this card is quite good. The hardest part is playing it late game so you can have a big graveyard. This card is a house.

So, those are my ideas for black, anyone have any other ideas?

M

Mikeymike

Don't mind the uncommons

Diabolic Intent is superior to Demonic Tutor in many circumstances, however its harder to control in a 250 card deck.

Forbidden Crypt seems like it could be absolutely broken in 5 (if you plow through your deck somehow). Remains to be seen, but think of the possibilities. I'm getting ideas already.

Wall of Souls, its a great card in MP, the same should be true for 5.

Spined Fluke is another card I like for 5. Yes you've got to sac a creature but its a 5 power regenerator for 2B.

Victimize, I've always loved this card. High on quality advantage, equals out as a 2 for 2.

Corpse Dance, its not really cheap but it is an amazing card. It can be used defensively, offensively, and repeatedly. and its splashable.

Krovikan Horror should be good in 5, couldn't see why not.

How about Dregs of Sorrow? It ain't cheap, that's for sure. But it is splashable and gives you exponential card advantage. Hell, I think I'm going to try this card out in my 5 deck.

D

Dune Echo

Originally posted by Mikeymike
Forbidden Crypt seems like it could be absolutely broken in 5 (if you plow through your deck somehow). Remains to be seen, but think of the possibilities. I'm getting ideas already.
Actually, CHA1N5 mentioned that card too along with Abundance. Each draw turns into a Regrowth with both in play. The "This cards is a house." is actually his words and I stole 'em. :)

Wall of Souls, its a great card in MP, the same should be true for 5.
This could be great against beatdown in a control deck. Also serves as a nice blocker to Multani if your opponent doesn't remove it first (not likely).

Spined Fluke is another card I like for 5. Yes you've got to sac a creature but its a 5 power regenerator for 2B.
I think this is an uncommon, but I wanted to comment anyway. I really think that Albino Troll is much better because it's 1 mana less. And the regeneration ability costs less. Also, you don't lose card advantage in the late game with this guy, just tempo advantage. It's a trade-off I'd rather have. Spined Fluke is indeed fat, but I just don't like the sacrifice a creature very often because beatdown decks don't inherently have a lot of card drawing.

Victimize, I've always loved this card. High on quality advantage, equals out as a 2 for 2.
You know, I like this card too, especially with Entomb and Buried Alive. Let me know if this card works for you at all!

Corpse Dance, its not really cheap but it is an amazing card. It can be used defensively, offensively, and repeatedly. and its splashable.
No, it's not cheap but Birk on the 5-Color Mailing List swears by it. I'm thinking about it myself for my Wicked Madness deck.

Krovikan Horror should be good in 5, couldn't see why not.
And he is! Even better if you can get Squee into play too, but that goes without saying...

How about Dregs of Sorrow? It ain't cheap, that's for sure. But it is splashable and gives you exponential card advantage. Hell, I think I'm going to try this card out in my 5 deck.
Hrm... Control decks might like this! Let me know!