Dawn of War Dark Crusade.

M

mythosx

Anyone play Dawn of War and Winter Assault? Dark Crusade is coming out soon and I was wondering if anyone played and will purchase the new expansion. My merry crew of miscreants play semi nightly and we wanted to see if anyone else would join.

L

Limited

I've been playing Winter Assault lately, but I get the feeling that I have hardly any impact on the game. Sure, I can decide where to put the buildings, but mostly I just order all my squad to attack forward while clicking the reinforce button.

I've just started though..

M

mythosx

you will soon feel the nuances real soon. IG is very hard to play currently. would you be interested in playing?

Key things you have to remember. Moral matters, ranged vs. melee makes a diffference. unlike starcraft melee isn't just a really upclose ranged attack. once you engage in melee your units will pile in a hand to hand fight. as IG you will never win such a fight against any of the other races.

N

Nightstalkers

I enjoy this game.... I'm not a big fan fo WH40k mainly because of the cost of getting into it. The system of RTS play with the warhammer game is a lot better than what I would have expected. The only problems you have with it now is the fact that there is a very small pool of units and races compared to the table-top game.

The question I have for this game is whether or not you get the original races from the original games?

Oh, and you should checkout Company of Heroes. It uses basically the same system as the WH40K game (same company, duh) but uses WWII themes.... it's kinda fun.

M

mythosx

According to official announcements. If you purchase the new expansion you will be able to play all 7 races from the entire series in the single player campaign. You are limited to only the new 2 for the multiplayers. The other 5 may only be used if you have the other 2 games in multiplayer. I own the first two so it doesn't bug me.

As far as limited troop choices, its not as limited as you think. Where it really limits you is the customization options in multiplayer. And thats only pretty much the heroes. The troop choices are really diverse and tactics are pretty deep. I am pretty good among my friends but that isn't saying much.

L

Limited

I would be interested in playing.. don't know if I can find the time though.

Figured I might as well start the Dawn of War (original) campaign.. it feels less random :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So this is set in the Warhammer world? I never got into anything other than the Fantasy world, so I'll be waiting for any games from that setting...

Tag Guard

L

Limited

Sorry, I'm done with this game.

I was in the fourth level or something, and it took 5 units (Dreadnaughts) to clear almost the entire map, and then my whole army is killed trying to take over that last bit. I have no idea why it happened, but I don't care anymore.

Was costing me too much time anyway.

N

Nightstalkers

Reading the reviews now I wonder if they'll screw up the game and make it a Star Wars: Empire at War clone (hate that game)....

Or just copy the Company of Heroes style of gameplay (that I would accept).

M

mythosx

Nightstalkers said:
Reading the reviews now I wonder if they'll screw up the game and make it a Star Wars: Empire at War clone (hate that game)....

Or just copy the Company of Heroes style of gameplay (that I would accept).

the game is good. very good. people may not like it. I've had it for a couple of days now and I have no complaints. I read some where the biggest complaint were some animations issues for the heavy weapons teams.

all higher tier units are hardcapped making the game challenge to balance our your forces and testing your flexibility as a commander. No more spamming heavy hitters all day. COH is made by relic also so its similar...But with seven unique races how can you go wrong?!!?

N

Nightstalkers

Meh... They still neutered the Predators....

It's an okay game, but they definitely need to add in either a larger map (with possibly more races) and/or more worlds to conquer.

N

Nightstalkers

But they neutered the tanks!

It's disheartening to know that they neutered the tanks since the first expansion...

M

mythosx

Nightstalkers said:
But they neutered the tanks!

It's disheartening to know that they neutered the tanks since the first expansion...

i see what you are saying.

But honestly, who makes it to tanks? The game is over long before then.

N

Nightstalkers

Because... they're cool...

But it's always hillarious tossing a baneblade out there and chattin' out "Imma chargin' mah cannon!"

M

mythosx

I always get the beat down way before I field my bane blade. Those IG gaurdsmen are like paper. you got any tips?

N

Nightstalkers

Guardsmen are like paper, but their strategy is just the same as the orks... get out as many little guardsmen and keep'em coming out.

If you crap out enough of the little guys, upgrade them to full platoons, and toss in the occasional commanders, you should be able to swarm the other players with sheer manpower. Add in a few of those hit and run walkers to capture/sabotage your opponent's resource gathering and you should be in the lead.

The only faction I have ever had a problem fighting against were the orks... they have the same strategy, only their units are harder to kill.

So in other words most Guardsmen players are in it for the style points than firepower.