DaVinci Code

B

BigBlue

As far as those groups hating the book - look next to the da vinci code in most bookstores and you'll find 2-3 books which attempt to refute everything within as fiction (at least that's my impression from the back covers etc - and most of them appear to have strong religious ties).

I would like to say I'm not the type who hates on religion - because that's not me. But, I do get tired of their holier than thou attitude - as if being religious is not only a moral (which I do not believe it is in it's own right), but the most important one. I am a moral person. I am an ethical person. Do I stray sometimes? of course I do, otherwise I wouldn't be human... but, I don't need to go to church to know I did something wrong.

E

EricBess

Actually, there have been a lot of attacks on "The DiVinci Code" for quite a while. Well before there was a movie planed, there were books like, "Debunking The DiVinci Code" and other things.

I don't think there were any protests or significant "it offends my religion" per se, but there was a fair amount of, "don't read it because it's not true what they say" type of stuff.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
EricBess said:
Actually, there have been a lot of attacks on "The DiVinci Code" for quite a while. Well before there was a movie planed, there were books like, "Debunking The DiVinci Code" and other things.

I don't think there were any protests or significant "it offends my religion" per se, but there was a fair amount of, "don't read it because it's not true what they say" type of stuff.
Yeah, I guess you usually don't get books designed to "debunk" fiction novels, but I think it has happened on occasion. The protests and the significant "it offends my religion" though, are just not something I've encountered before with a book--even if they made a movie out of it (people might protest the movie, but largely ignore the book).

D

DarthFerret

I wonder what these people would do if someone attacked the Bible and started printing the "don't read it" slogan. I bet these people would become unglued. Maybe Unhinged!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret said:
I wonder what these people would do if someone attacked the Bible and started printing the "don't read it" slogan. I bet these people would become unglued. Maybe Unhinged!
Well, maybe they don't have a "don't read it" slogan, but there are plenty of books that might be considered "attacking" the Bible...

H

HOUTS

Okay, I agree; it's fiction. Then WHY are so many folks upset?

Easily answered: Because Christians/Catholics feel attacked, and the need to defend themselves. This stems from a lack in their own belief; if you truely believe something, then a work of fiction that plays upon it wouldn't offend you.

HOUTS

B

BigBlue

The really odd thing, is it still says it... :D

Just wait until wizards releases their newest expansion - Stories from the bible...

Abraham

Sacrifice a child: If this child is yours ...

Killer Joe

"Garden of Eden"
Card Type: Legendary Land
Garden of Eden comes into play tapped. On your next upkeep you may pay 10 life to untap it, otherwise it stays tapped.
Garden of Eden counts as a Forest, Plains, Island, Mountain & Swamp
Tap, remove a non-token creature and a land you control from the game: Add up to five mana of any color combination to your mana pool. If you added black to your pool then remove Garden of Eden from the game and skip your next turn.

New Keyword: Ristricted

On Topic: My wife and I saw it Wednesday and though neither of us were offended we did see a mature couple get up and walk out of the theatre. :rolleyes:

I kinda liked it (no gratuitious "mature rating" scenes though :( )

I'd give it a 3 1/2 stars out of five.

B

BigBlue

No....

Garden of Eden

Legendary Land

When Garden of Eden comes into play, put an apple counter on it. While Garden of Eden has an Apple counter it is indestructible and may not be the target of spells or abilities. If GoE has no apple counter, sacrifice it.

As long as Garden of Eden is in play you cannot lose the game.
If Garden of Eden leaves play you lose the game.

During your upkeep, you and target opponent each flip a coin. If they both come up the same draw 3 cards - if they are different, remove the apple counter from GoE. If the opponent is a woman, she may reflip her coin by paying 10 life.

-----------------
We should make a new set.... and submit it to WotC for a joke...

D

DarthFerret

Lol, Big Blue, if we did that, they would just print it as another of the Unglued/Unhinged sets.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I just finished the book. Really fast reading (especially as the chapters are like a couple pages each :) )

SPOILER!!!

I felt the second half of the book didn't seem as frenetic as the first half, with the guy chasing them kinda dropping out of the picture. So it felt slowed down and anti-climatic.

I could see how some people could view this book as dangerous: it plants just enough seeds for you to wonder "could this be true?" But in the same vein, I also think it's a good thing as it (should, at least) cause people to explore on their own what is fact and fiction. Plus, the book even says itself, that those of faith will have no need to search further as they already are secure in knowing the answer.

And it seems clear to me that the book, if anything, is "attacking" or "criticising" the Catholic Church, not the ideals of it, and there's already lots of that going on anyway.

And The Church and Opus Dei is cleared in the end also - nothing really disparaging about the latter as a whole anyway.

So now onto the movie... :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
I could see how some people could view this book as dangerous: it plants just enough seeds for you to wonder "could this be true?"
But if someone considers that dangerous, I'd return the favor and consider said person dangerous myself. :rolleyes:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe "dangerous" is too broad a term. Some could view it as dangerous and be dangerous themselves (like what happens in the book itself), some could view it as disturbing, some could view it as challenging, some could view it as dangerous but aren't in power to do anything about it (except rant about it on the Net).

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
some could view it as dangerous but aren't in power to do anything about it (except rant about it on the Net).
People rant on the internet? You must be joking... ;)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Oversoul said:
People rant on the internet? You must be joking... ;)

You're KIDDING?!?!?!?!! I had NO idea!!!!

Well, at least I think we're safe here. NO ONE rants about ANYTHING here at the CPA. ;)

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I'VE got a Da Vinci code magic card!!!!!!!

Wrath of God
2WW
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures in play. They can't be regenerated.

Whaddya guys think?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Killer Joe said:
"The Omen"

Now who's up for protesting that movie!?!
I think it's cheesy and possibly tasteless to remake it, but that's not really worth protesting over... :rolleyes: