DarthFerret vs. Spiderman Vintage Format

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's okay, just not sure if you thought it was my turn since so much time had passed by and you've been on :)

I assume you take three then unless you have something during the rest of the combat. Done.

DF

Life: 1
Hand: 1
In Play:

(U, U) Island x 2
(T, T, T) Swamp x 3

Warped Devotion,
(T) Abyssal Specter

Graveyard:Hypnotic Specterx2,Recoilx2,Rescind,Boomerangx2, Man O Warx2,
Doomsday Specter x 2, mind twist, Abyssal Specter,Demonic Tutor, Upheaval, Warped Devotion, Rescind, Island x 4, Swamp x 2, Rescind, Hypnotic Specter, Abyssal Specter

Removed From Game:

Spidey

Life: 20
Hand: 4
In Play:

(T, U) Swampx2
(T) Forest
(U) Tainted Wood
(T) Treetop Village

Graveyard: Consume Spirit, Krosan Tusker, Swamp, Dark Banishing, Swampx2, Moment's Peace, Decree of Pain, Krosan Tusker, Gaea's Blessing, Swampx2, Forest, Spawning Poolx2, Treetop Village, Natural Affinity, Diabolic Edictx2, Moment's Peace

Removed From Game:

D

DarthFerret

Untap, Draw, Tap BBBU, Play Doomsday Specter, (putting the abyssal in my hand again), Done.

DF

Life: 1
Hand: 2
In Play:

(T, U) Island x 2
(T, T, T) Swamp x 3

Warped Devotion,
(U)Doomsday Specter

Graveyard:Hypnotic Specterx2,Recoilx2,Rescind,Boomerangx2, Man O Warx2,
Doomsday Specter x 2, mind twist, Abyssal Specter,Demonic Tutor, Upheaval, Warped Devotion, Rescind, Island x 4, Swamp x 2, Rescind, Hypnotic Specter, Abyssal Specter

Removed From Game:

Spidey

Life: 20
Hand: 4
In Play:

(T, U) Swampx2
(T) Forest
(U) Tainted Wood
(T) Treetop Village

Graveyard: Consume Spirit, Krosan Tusker, Swamp, Dark Banishing, Swampx2, Moment's Peace, Decree of Pain, Krosan Tusker, Gaea's Blessing, Swampx2, Forest, Spawning Poolx2, Treetop Village, Natural Affinity, Diabolic Edictx2, Moment's Peace

Removed From Game:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Don't you need to discard because of Warping Devotion? In any case, in response to the casting of Doomsday, I'll Diabolic Edict you to get rid of the Abyssal before the Doomsday comes into play (which of course means he'll bounce himself). I'll wait to see what you discard before taking my turn.

I

Istanbul

Actually, that's game.

Abyssal in play, Doomsday on the stack.
Spidey edicts. Abyssal dies.
Doomsday resolves, sees only one blue or black creature, bounces itself.
Doomsday is discarded because of Warped Devotion.
Spidey's turn, he swings with a 3/3. DF has no cards in hand, no blockers, and 1 life. The end.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, not necessarily, he had one card in hand before his turn, meaning when he drew he had two. So even if he discards the Doomsday, there's still a mystery card that might be a factor...

D

DarthFerret

Actually, Even though you have a point Spidey, What Istanbul said is true. I have to do exactly as he said (What I discard actually does not matter, the other card in my hand is Urzas Guilt which would kill me if I played it.) Good game man. I can see a very large hole in my deck where attacking lands can make a swift death of me.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Good game.

I wish we could play another, but with the baby coming up, I don't want to stop in the middle. Play after I get back (probably in a month or so)?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul said:
What happened here was pretty similar to what persuaded me to trade away my Doomsday Specters.
I think it just happened to be a good/bad matchup (depending on whose side you're on :) ). I just happened to be playing man-lands. He would have had more success against a more normal "creature" deck, I think.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
I think it just happened to be a good/bad matchup (depending on whose side you're on :) ). I just happened to be playing man-lands. He would have had more success against a more normal "creature" deck, I think.
I completely agree. But any deck that runs instant-speed creature removal can make gating creatures problematic. I learned just how bad that can get in the same way Darthferret did, although in my case, no man-lands were involved. Still, Treetop Village and Faerie Conclave (not to mention Mishra's Factory) are always things to look out for...

D

DarthFerret

Sure Istanbul, I will play ya, any particular format? (Or did you want to match up with the deck I used against Spidey?)