Damping Matrix Hoser

C

Crackdown

I'm not quite sure where this thread should begin, but I wanted to discuss the use of one of the more intriguing cards in Standard, Damping Matrix.

Easy enough to cast on turn two if it's in hand, it shuts down activated abilities of artifacts and creatures. In other words, the most powerful abilities in the game (other than Eternal Witness) and some of the fun ones (e.g., Ninjutsu) are toast.

Of course, it can be destroyed or removed, but not by an activated ability such as Oblivion Stone. Thus, it is particularly strong against Black.

Green has the best answers as does Blue (counter, bounce). Red has Shatter and White has Terashi's Grasp.

If a Blue mage were to give up his Vedalken Shackles and protect the DM with counter magic, how powerful would his Blue Flyer Aggro deck be?

C

Crackdown

Oversoul said:
Protecting a Damping Matrix doesn't sound very aggro at all, even for Standard...
You should see my son's Samurai deck. :) It runs Damping Matrix and Ronin Warclubs and just beats.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Playing Damping Matrix could work for an aggro deck. But using countermagic to protect it is pretty controlish...

N

Nightstalkers

From my personal gameplay, I haven't seen much use for a Damping Matrix. Personally, I'd run it in a sideboard if I had the chance to.

Yeah... so I play against a lot of "kiddy" decks (counter, sligh, weenie) and don't see much use for a Damping Matrix.