Daily Brainteaser

turgy22

Nothing Special
Change one letter in each pair of words to create synonyms. For example, CROAKED and BEAT becomes CROOKED and BENT.

1. POISON, FAIL
2. UNCLEAN, VOGUE
3. DELUDE, FLOOR
4. BARON, SLICK
5. DANCER, MENAGE
6. CONCEIT, NATION

June 17th Answers:
Arctic
Colorado
Congo
Everest
Moldova
Norway
Outback
Paris

R

rokapoke

turgy22;284670 said:
Change one letter in each pair of words to create synonyms. For example, CROAKED and BEAT becomes CROOKED and BENT.

1. POISON, FAIL
2. UNCLEAN, VOGUE
3. DELUDE, FLOOR
4. BARON, SLICK
5. DANCER, MENAGE
6. CONCEIT, NATION

Answers:
1. pRison, Jail
2. uncleaR, vAgue
3. deluGe, flooD
4. baTon, sTick
5. danGer, menaCe
6. concePt, nOtion

turgy22

Nothing Special
June 19th
You are surprised to find that the $6.50 in change that you got back from a purchase contains equal numbers of half-dollars, dimes and nickels.
How many of each do you have?

June 20th
Write the same four-letter word on each line below to make a new word on either side.

GOAL ______ AGE
DOOR ______ MAN
MILE ______ CARD

June 18th Answers:

1. prison, jail
2. unclear, vague
3. deluge, flood
4. baton, stick
5. danger, menace
6. concept, notion

R

rokapoke

June 19th
You are surprised to find that the $6.50 in change that you got back from a purchase contains equal numbers of half-dollars, dimes and nickels.
How many of each do you have?

Answer:
This one has two answers, and both are (relatively) easy to come by...
1. Zero. You have a $5 and $1 dollar bill, and two quarters. Haha.
2. Ten. This was my first thought, because it's really easy to combine 10 nickels with half dollars. So 10 nickels = $0.50. 10 dimes = $1.00. 10 half dollars = $5.00. Put it together and you've got $6.50.

I'd be more surprised to get change containing half dollars than to have equal numbers of coins in my change. What is this, 1960?

R

rokapoke

June 20th
Write the same four-letter word on each line below to make a new word on either side.

GOAL ______ AGE
DOOR ______ MAN
MILE ______ CARD

Answer:
Post.

turgy22

Nothing Special
June 21st - Pop Quiz
In honor of Father's Day, each clue leads to a word, phrase, or title containing the word POP.

1. Kid's song with a mulberry bush
2. Buttered snack at the movies
3. What Al Gore won in the 2000 election
4. Dr. Suess book that involves jumping
5. Annoying online commercials in a window
6. Amazingly impressive to behold
7. "Union group" in Munchkinland
8. Strutting, arrogant person

June 22nd
I have seven bags, five green and two yellow, in which I store a total of 50 marbles. The fewest number of marbles in any bag is 5 and the greatest number of marbles in any bag is 10. The two yellow bags are the only two bags in the set containing the same number of marbles.
How many marbles are in each yellow bag?

June 19th Answer:

June 20th Answer:

R

rokapoke

June 21st - Pop Quiz
In honor of Father's Day, each clue leads to a word, phrase, or title containing the word POP.

1. Kid's song with a mulberry bush
2. Buttered snack at the movies
3. What Al Gore won in the 2000 election
4. Dr. Suess book that involves jumping
5. Annoying online commercials in a window
6. Amazingly impressive to behold
7. "Union group" in Munchkinland
8. Strutting, arrogant person

Answer:
1. Pop Goes the Weasel
2. Popcorn
3. Popular vote
4. Hop on Pop
5. Pop-up ads
6. Eye-popping
7. Lollipop Guild
8. turgy22

June 22nd
I have seven bags, five green and two yellow, in which I store a total of 50 marbles. The fewest number of marbles in any bag is 5 and the greatest number of marbles in any bag is 10. The two yellow bags are the only two bags in the set containing the same number of marbles.

Answer:
Okay. The minimum number of marbles per bag is 5. 5 x 7 bags = 35 marbles. From there, we must distribute 15 more marbles, and only two bags have identical quantities. One bag must get 5 additional marbles, to take it up to 10. Therefore, we have six more bags and 10 more marbles. The yellow bags each contain 5 marbles, and the other 10 marbles are distributed as 1, 2, 3, and 4 in each of the other green bags.

Yellow: 5 and 5
Green: 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 marbles

E

EricBess

June 22nd

Comment:
I didn't quite follow rokapoke's logic, so I thought I would add my own. There are 7 bags of 6 different quantities from 5 to 10. So, if you add up everything but 1 yellow bag, you get 5+6+7+8+9+10 = 45. There are 50 total marbles, so the other yellow bag must have 5.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Fill in the missing words.

Seven d_____ in a w_____
One hundred c____________ in a m_______
Nine j__________ on the U.S. S_______ C______

June 21st Answers:

1. "Pop Goes the Weasel!"
2. Popcorn
3. Popular vote
4. Hop on Pop
5. Pop-up ads or pop-ups
6. Eye-popping
7. Lollipop Guild
8. Popinjay

June 22th Answer:

5 marbles.

R

rokapoke

June 23

Seven d_____ in a w_____

Answers:
days, week
centuries, millenium
judges, Supreme Court

I haven't found many of these puzzles to be easier than this one. I think they phoned this one in...

turgy22

Nothing Special
We've taken the words of a familiar saying and crisscrossed them in the grid below. But we've also removed most of the letters, leaving just enough for you to come across with the original saying. What is it?

. . . I . . . . . . _
_ H _ _ _ S . . . G _ O _
. . . . . _ . . . . M
. . . . _ _ C _ _ G _ _
. . . . . L
. . . . . _

June 23rd Answers:

Seven days in a week
One hundred centimeters in a meter
Nine justices on the U.S. Supreme Court

E

EricBess

June 23

Seven d_____ in a w_____

Comment:
centuries, millenium

A millenium is 1000 years, so there are only 10 centuries in a millenium ;)

turgy22

Nothing Special
How are the ten words here linked to each other?

SHOW AREA THEN TEND SWORDS
WHERE CLINKED TOP BEACH BOTHER?

June 24rd Answer:

Good things come in small packages.

R

rokapoke

June 25

How are the ten words here linked to each other?

SHOW AREA THEN TEND SWORDS
WHERE CLINKED TOP BEACH BOTHER?

Answer:
Another pun-filled extravaganza. Subtracting one letter from the beginning or end of these words will spell out the sentence "How are the ten words here linked to each other?"

E

EricBess

That crisscross thing was tough. I guessed "good" and "come", but I was thinking "is" instead of "in" and had no idea on the rest.

turgy22

Nothing Special
EricBess;284747 said:
That crisscross thing was tough. I guessed "good" and "come", but I was thinking "is" instead of "in" and had no idea on the rest.
I'm actually surprised no one got it. Like you, I started out with "good" and "come" but then, instead of trying to guess more words, I tried to guess the saying. The first saying I thought of was "Good things come to those who wait," which obviously isn't correct, but it made me try out "things" in the right spot, which led to "in" and then the "small packages" was obvious.

So overall, I didn't think it was too hard, but it did take a few minutes to get my mind on the right track.

turgy22

Nothing Special
June 26th
Complete the word square below by inserting the nine letters into the grid, one per square, to create the same words reading across and down.

C O D E
O
D
E

A
DD
EE
NN
S
V

June 27th
How many common English words can you make from the letters below, using all five letters once in each word? We found six words.

A E L S T

June 25th Answer:

Cut off the front or back letter from every word and read them in order. You'll spell out the question at the top: How are the ten words here linked to each other?

R

rokapoke

June 26th
Complete the word square below by inserting the nine letters into the grid, one per square, to create the same words reading across and down.

C O D E
O
D
E

A
DD
EE
NN
S
V

Answer:

C O D E
O v e n
D e a d
E n d s

June 27th
How many common English words can you make from the letters below, using all five letters once in each word? We found six words.

A E L S T

Answer:
Least
Stale
Steal
Teals (the ducks or the colors)
Slate
Tales

That makes six for me.

turgy22

Nothing Special
June 28th - Double Up
Use each of the letters in NITES exactly twice to form a 10-letter word that names some things found in human bodies.

June 29th - Proverbiage
A well-known proverb is given in fancy language below. Put it back into standard English.

It is not possible to determine the worth or value of a completed published manuscript by examining the manner in which it is finally presented.

June 26th Answer:
C O D E
O V E N
D E A D
E N D S

June 27th Answers:

LEAST, SLATE, STALE, TALES, STEAL, TEALS (less common words are SETAL, STELA, TAELS, TESLA)