D&D idea exchange...

R

Rando

I am DMing for a group this weekend that has been out of action for two years. There are 3 players and my self, with a total of 4 characters of 7th, 7th, 7th and 5th level.

I am also runnig my regular campaign as well.

I want to come up with something epic and grand for this group returning to the game, but I'm having trouble coming up with anything I like, esspecialy since I have to work on the other group as well.

So, do any of you have any ideas for an adventure that would work? I've got a little case of "DM's block"

Thanks.
(Oh, by the way, it's 1st edition, an assasan, a monk, a ranger and a mage. I may make them transfer everything to 3rd edition, but I have not decided)

P

Phyrexian Pie-Eater

I use big words to make me sound smart(don't have to try hard though).

If it were easy to convert an assasin to 3rd edition, I'd say make them, but it isn't. Its really your choice on that matter. Also, what Plane are your guys on. I can maybe give you a few ideas if i know where they are.

R

Rando

...is a generic "Fantasy World", so anything can be used or added.

I build my worlds one adventure at a time, so they need only get to a part of the map that they have not explored yet, then anything goes.

As for the conversion of the assasin, I'd just have to have him convert to a rouge for 3rd edition I supose.

C

Cateran Emperor

Do you want them killed, or do you want them to kind of meet up with the others?

Kill them: send in the Tarrasque!!!!!!!!!

Join up: Start a war with one of the groups neutral and the other belonging to one of the warring nations. Then have them conveniently meet up ;)

P

Purple_jester

Okay, go on.

<GUEST: Sure. Two groups? *sadistic evil grin* Okay, if you can play them separately for a time, this is a great technique. Create a campaign where the two groups are on different sides of the conflict, or rivals seeking the same thing. Best of all, make sure they don't find out that their rivals are other players! Play them against each other as they plan and counterplan moves against the other group. You'll end up doing less thinking, and they'll do all the hard work. Then, as a sort of finale, set up an encounter where each of the two groups of PC's meet each other face-to-face, both as characters and players!

Okay, they may hate you after a while, but even if they find out about it ahead of time, the rivalry will be wonderful to play!>

Isn't he mean? ;)

D

Dark Horse

I dont know anything below second edition rules.

My brother did that once, sorta. He was part of a campaign where at the end every character, with all the armies they collected and all, had 30 rounds to get to an artifact located in the center of the field, about 40 yards away, and surrounded by 20 feet of antimagic shell.

It was a really intense rivalry. I won though:)Gotta love being able to jump 200 feet. (It was like me. I was a matrixy dual class theif 8/ fighter 19 with a 23 dexterity, 2 rings of jumping, and I used my wish (We were all like 24th level guys, a two year long campaign.) to gain retractable gliding wings. I also had boots of leaping and springing, and a potion of speed. Even so, I first got it on round 19, and actually got it back on round 28. My brother was a Multiclass Cleric/Mage of Labelas Enoreth. Level 15/18 The other characters were a Necromancer Lvl 26, fighter druid alaghi lvl 12/20 and a Fighter/Mage lvl 16/18. We were a pretty d--n magic heavy party. They were allowed a joint spell, as in one they all had to memorize and cast simultaneously, it was essentially a cross between a time stop, plane shift, and massive disintegrate.

C

Chaos Turtle

Are you using the new Core Rules (commonly known as 3rd edition)?

If so, I strongly, strongly recommend picking up a copy of the latest Dungeon Magazine. There are adventures using the new rules system for parties of all levels.

Go get it.

For the record...

As a long-time D&D player (since 1982) I am in love with the new rules system. It keeps everything that is wonderful about the old and converts everything that was bad into a good thing.

Change can be a good thing, and 3rd edition D&D is a prime example of this.

R

Rando

I know there are some old-school players out there who will want to shoot me, but I think 3rd edition is the best set of RPG rules I've ever seen.
Better then 1st and 2nd editions and the players' option rules.
It keeps a nice modern streemlined group of fast-playing, easy to learn rules and combines it with a bit of a gygax-like flavor to the text.
Gotta love it.

K

krichaiushii

... and its "Gygax-like flavor", I like the fact that they recycled word for word some of the more colorful examples from the earlier rulebooks.

Unfortunately, I can't recall which exactly, only that I have read them before opening the new DMs guide and (to a lesser extent) the PH.

Its the word choice and descriptions that make the phrases stick out, you know?

R

Riva Iron-Grip

i've been playing d&d for like 4-5 years, and i love 3rd ed. i suggest have the groups meet up in a kingdom, where they were chosen as the best fighters/wizards in the world. and have them go on a quest to a country full of necromancers, or dragons. that's what i did yesterday and it worked out really well