D&D for the PC

Ferret

Staff member
Okay, I know I'm going to get some flak from this post, but I'm ready for it as always...

I've been playing D&D (in its many forms) for over twenty years, but I have yet to see a decent one on a PC or console system. It seems that you cannot get a decent version of a paper & pencil game in video game form.

Back in the late 80's there was an amazing game released for the Amiga, Mac Colour, and other "advanced systems" called Dungeon Master. It was far and away the best CRPG I had seen w/ beautiful graphics and sound. But, no one cared about it because they were playing a pathetic piece of tripe called "Pool of Radiance". This game had lackluster graphics, lame sound, and a plot a five year old could have written. But, that wasn't why I hated it. It's interpretation of the AD&D rules was quite bad. Even worse was how it spawned eight more games w/ it's same game engine. Sad.

Later, the same company (SSI) came out w/ Eye of the Beholder (and two lousy sequels) meant to copy Dungeon Master. They thought they could take a really good idea, copy it, and call it their own.

Let's fast forward a few years (after some other crappy games) and come to the games that I liked the least: Baldur's Gate, et nauseum. This was supposed to have been an RPG, but I felt like I was playing a very poor RTS game. If it had any other games' name on it I wouldn't have minded as much, but this claimed to be a game based on my favourite RPG. Later on, I tried to play Icewind Dale and Planescape and couldn't finish them because they were just too incredibly bad.

Last year, to remind us of the roots of the original incredibly bad AD&D CRPG experience, they came out w/ a new version of Pool of Radiance. It was...okay. They converted 3rd Edition rules somewhat well, but they made it impossible to play a Mage - you could be a Sorcerer, though. Which meant you didn't have to worry about having a high intelligence - It was all about Charisma...playing it was a bit redundant: Wander around - encounter monsters, spend an hour fighting for about 150 XP's, find a place to rest, regain all four of your spells, wander some more, kill things, rather rince repeat. By the time you get to fifth level you just don't care anymore. Blech.

However, all hope is not lost. Just this year, Bioware (the people that gave us that tripe-game, Baldur's Gate) released Neverwinter Nights. Now, this game was good. It wasn't too hard, it had a great plot, good voice acting (althgouh you sometimes wish they would shut up), and an almost flawless interpretation of the D&D 3rd Edition rules. This one was worth the price of admission.

-Ferret

"...thank god that post is over - I thought Ferret would never shut up..."

T

train

I don't really have anyone to play D&D with here, so is Neverwinter Nights really good enough as a substitute?:( :confused:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, it's amazing how two people can view this differently. I think Baldur's Gate is one of the best D&D games out there and if I ever finish it, I'm ready to try Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights.

The latest Pool of Radiance got a bad rap from most gaming reviews; it had an especially annoying installer bug that messed around with files from Windows (or was that when you tried to de-install?).

Icewind Dale II got good reviews about having adapted 3rd ed. rules very well.

train: About Neverwinter Nights: I assume you want to play with people online? From what I've read, learning to use the editor has a bit of a learning curve, but once you get to know it or am playing with someone who knows how to use it, it's supposedly not that bad.

T

train

Spidey - online, or by my lonesome, just looking to re-live some of my playing days... I really miss Dragonlance...

Dragon Court has been a good substitute for free play - but it's limited because it's free...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I honestly suggest giving one of Bioware's games a try. I think they adhere pretty good to the ideas of D&D.

In the Baldur's Gate series, you make one character and meet NPCs along the way while in the Icewind Dale series, you make an entire party of six, I think.

Ferret

Staff member
I did prefer making my own party in Icewind Dale. I like to make all of them instead of having a character that has to wander around trying to find people that won't try to kill each other - or run away at the first sign of danger - or get killed by fire arrow spewing Kobolds - or...anyhoo...

-Ferret

"...better part of Valour! Better part of Valour!"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Have to say, none of that's happened in my games with Baldur's Gate, unless I put evil characters with good characters or ran out of healing spells or just don't have good armor to begin with (and never had anyone run away since once you add them to your party, you effectively control them). :)

C

Chaos Turtle

Actually I like Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale. Very much looking forward to playing Neverwinter Nights, following a hardware upgrade....

B

BigBlue

I have to add my .02.

I really like NWN. It is far and away the best CRPG I've played to date in my view.

Other's I've really liked were Dungeon Master, that game just flat out rocked and EoB was pale in comparison. I did like EoB, but only as a poor substitute for Dungeon Master. I never did the "gold" games (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds...). I tried Dungeon Hack, but at the time my PC just didn't have the Balls for it which made it unplayable.

NWN was a godsend to me, it is great for multiplayer with a party of friends and is enjoyable in SP as well. Then on top of that, you get to create your own modules or port over your favorite pen and paper module for play. You can have someone designated as DM who controls the world or play without a DM. I can't say anything about MP with random people, it's certainly possible but has never been an enjoyable experience and not something I'm willing to try. Even 1 PK'er or Grief player just isn't fun, and when I play, I'm not interested in not having fun.

Ferret, did you ever try Ultima Underworld? It had a great look and feel to it. It took a while to get used to the controls, but once you did that, I really enjoyed it's magic system. Much like Dungeon Master, you had to string runes together to cast spells and those were unknown at the onset, needing to be learned while you play. Unfortunately for me, my HD crashed and I lost my install, plus my install disks were corrupted and so I never was able to finish it, but I really enjoyed that game.

If anyone here is willing to run a server sometime, post it or PM me and I'll join. I'm working on a port of the Sunless Citadel to NWN right now but I don't have the bandwidth to host a game, just 28.8 from home which is enough to play but not to host.

B

BigBlue

Oh and I loved BG/BGII as well. I wish I could have figured out how to write my own scripts for the PC controlled players though, the standard ones were too confining.

T

train

Cheaper than that when you work in the MIS dept, and if they don't want them anymore...;)

Ferret

Staff member
BigBlue I tried a majority of the games you mentioned - Dungeon Hack was nothing more than a Dungeon Master meets an old game called Dungeon Hack that I got as shareware. It was fun for about an hour and then I got bored.

I tried Ultima Underworld for a while, but I've never been that big of a fan of any of the Ultima series...

My fav CRPG's inculde the Wizardry and Might & Magic series (and Final Fantasy on console systems). A majority of the D&D CRPG's just fell short. If I want to play D&D I prefer dinner tables and character sheets that have been through hell and back...

-Ferret

"...waitaminute! How many pizza stains are on your sheet? Nope. You can't play w/ us..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I liked Wizardry (especially IV when you played the bad guy) and only tried M&M 1; I like it too except it took awhile to gain levels so you could get out of the starting city. I also liked Bard's Tale and the early Ultimas.

However, I like that Bioware put in more "real-time" combat than having to say what each character did each turn. That was a bit of a pain...

T

train

If I want to play D&D I prefer dinner tables and character sheets that have been through hell and back...
Hell is nothing compared to where mine had been... Believe it or not, besides being worn, smudged and dropped into rain puddles(we were playing at a National forest camp ground once) my sheets had actually turned yellow...:rolleyes:

B

BigBlue

It isn't about the modem...

It's about me being a cheap bastid when it comes to paying for an ISP. My workplace offers a free ISP to employees, and for whatever technical reason I've not determined (something about our phone switch or our phonelines) we can only connect at 28.8. However, that is a decieving figure, once I get to the internet, we have a T1 which is relatively unshared, so I connect very quickly for 28.8, faster than most ISP users even, since their 56K connection is usually to an ISP with 40 or fifty users sharing a smaller pipeline.

Ferret - I never tried the Ultima regular stuff, but Underworld was more first person than the others looked. Also never tried any of the Wizardry series...

Ferret

Staff member
I was a big fan of Wizardry's 6, 7, and am currently playing 8 (again).

I've played III through IX of the Might and Magic series and most of them (except IX) were quite good and a true joy to play. I particularly loved IV & V because they combined into one world that provided me w/ 100+ plus of gaming (and I played it all the way through three times!).

I've tried a few of the Ultima games, but I just couldn't get into them.

I miss the old Bards Tale games (played all three on an Apple ][). They were beautiful in their simplicity...

I like to think the reason these were all better than D&D CRPG's was that they were not bound by paper and pencil rules.

-Ferret

"...the 'Gold Box' games were the closest to tolerable..."

Ferret

Staff member
Train - I can totally relate. I have some Gamma World character sheets from 1985 that are still intact - barely. I think they've been through a real nuclear war...

-Ferret

"...the glow keeps me up at night..."