D&D and RPG and Anti-Anime Propaganda

L

Landkiller

Initial Rant

I don't see what's makes D&D worse than anything else, albeit I haven't tried everything out there. Star Wars RPG was much, much, much worse. That game bit so much!!! Rifts was okay, but the books were almost as poorly organized as the Star Wars book. You could never find anything, and the combat system was so confusing it's not funny. MDC and SDC? WTF? I'd rather learn another programming language. Now Shadowrun. I have read a couple novels, and it sounds like a cool thing to try. I also would love to try anything like Resident Evil or Night of the Living Dead. Night of the Living Dead is the best movie I've ever seen on TV after 3 AM. Zombies rock. Vampires are, like, so last week.

Why I like D&D
I like D&D because it has the most imaginative setting ever, Planescape. There are any number of campaign styles and settings included in that wonderful little box. I bought every product that Planescape printed and still it was canceled. What can you do? And some other settings are good. Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Forgotten Realms, each have their qualities. I bought the Al-Qadim setting on E-Bay, and it looks fantastic. Can't wait to play it. Even Dragonlance is somewhat cool, albeit completely centered around these "story characters". Sure, character generation sucks. But it is flexible enough, and when it isn't, make a new kit. Adapt it. Now the alignments system is pretty stupid. And I know that I haven't seen everything out there but I still have yet to see any better try. So I think you're best off ignoring alignments. Experience is a Good Thing! It gives players motivation and how else does one move from Shoe-Shining Apprentice to Lord of the Kingdom. Not by sitting around, that's for sure.

D&D's Only Major Weakness
D&D has a crappy combat system. Incorporating critical hit rules is a welcome addition, but not enough to make it a good system. Life Points are stupid. Hp means "Taking 15 Direct Sword Swings to die, because , ::blows trumpet::You're Level 18" is ridiculous. It should be nigh Impossible for a common thug to smack up the lv. 18 Warrior. Not the minimum 5% chance that the d20 offers. A dagger in the back is a dagger in the back. A dead 18th level guy is a dead 0 level peasant with goodies to take.

On Miniatures
This is the only fair way to do combat, and it's quite cool. You have to actually have the mini's though, or cheap out and use chess pieces and monopoly tokens like me :). It's a lot easier to understand the risks of the battle if you see it. This is not the way to map out your characters role in the D-Day landing. 50 enemies? No wonder mini's can suck.

On Character Generation
Random character generation makes people always say, "Dammit I got screwed again. All Single Digits and a 13. Do over. " It doesn't work to make someone play something they don't want to. They don't have fun, and I don't have fun unless they get into it. I always assign my playgroup 78+d4 points between the stats to divide as they like, providing one stat is under an 8. This is excessive, sure. I don't want characters to die much. No one does. I don't play the game to end it. Now if it's the player's mistake, characters die. I hate when a character does what seems best and oops, failed a saving throw. Die. No one roll should kill someone.

On Classes
Sometimes you want to get into them, other times they are an obstacle. When you use kits, often you'll find something that works. Very rarely is a character so unique as to require an all new Class. B/c if you are using a core designed world, it doesn't fit the world to have a new class, except if you change it. Otherwise, if it's your world, it's your job to make everything. Get Busy!

On Anime Cheesiness. Warning : If you like Anime this part below may offend you! Several of my more pathetic friends like Anime, and since I'm not afraid to tell them, I'm going to assualt you now.

Come on, every character in Anime shows can fly and shoot fireballs(DBZ). You can't tell me that's not cheesy. And Pokemon is Anime too. SO there! (Landkiller feels that Anime cartoons are always cheesy) Try telling me that classic American cartoons like Looney Tunes don't stomp those into the ground for entertainment value. I'm serious. Anime is boring. Sure, American cartoons are for little kids, but they are amusing to watch. Anime is just cheesy slogans and videogame special moves. Sub-Zero and Scorpion from Mortal Kombat I look like they could be anime characters. Stupid superhero crap. Anime movies don't count. Those may or may not suck. The ones that are like movies don't suck. Although Vampire Hunter Z is a cooler anime movie, make no mistake, it still bites. It is annoying to watch. It has superior animation and storyline, yet still pulls in a cheesiness. It has no soul. Who needs to see a talking mouth on a guys hand? Keep that stuff out of movies. Well, it's okay. At least compared to the god-awful four hour episode of Pokemon that is "Street Fighter 2 the anime Movie". The four frame per second rate and third rate artists that sign on to make these films don't help anything, either. Is anime for kids or adults? Neither. Anime is for blue and yellow suited superheroes. Anime should stay in Japan.

Well, that's a bit long. Hope it wasn't really stupid to read. It was the most ignorant thing I've written in a while! And yes, this is what I really think. It's opinion, mixed with fact.

If you want to see what Planescape is all about because it's the coolest thing in RPG's that I've seen, here are the best sites for Planescape that I know of :
http://www.planewalker.com - updated nearly daily, excellent.
http://www.mimir.net - official site, formerly excellent, but hasn't been updated in months.

F

Fire Slinger

I like Rifts. I think that its combat system is alot simpler than D&D.

D&D can do anything within the confines of a fantasy setting, but Rifts can do anything.

BTW:
SDC is the standard combat damage.
MDC is for tanks and power armor. 1 MDC=1000 SDC

C

Copious Wrath

Ahhh, you obviously haven't seen any good anime. Go rent and watch Princess Mononoke, *THEN* lecture me on how cheesy anime is.

Anime is like any other medium -- there's a *lot* of bad stuff, but there are a few diamonds in the rough. Just like TV.

D

Dark_Tira

You're right, it did offend me. Are your "friends" pathetic because they watch anime? Or is that just something they do because they are pathetic? Copious Wrath is right, anime is ALOT like TV. I have seen my share of bad anime, but like TV there are good and bad shows. Dubbing and editing an anime will ruin a good anime, and make it worse if it's already bad. I hate it when people say all anime sucks just because of a few bad examples,and the examples you gave are pretty bad. Princess Mononoke is undoubtably a great introduction to quality anime(If it's subbed, of course).

N

Namielus

Tira why didn't you tell him the wonders of Big Eyes Small Mouths, its basically a Amine RPG setting. It is based around 2D6 and combat is very good. The only problem is there is no character building like in D&D, In BESM your charact is mostly likey gonna die exacly the way you started, so that sense of acompishment is gone...

I think the best RPG I've played would have to be Fallout PnP, I've seen 2 versions, the one I made and the one some other guy did. Fallout adds such flexibly and just about any character type can be made. Check out http://www.brunslo.com/suleiman/NWCG/fallout.html

(the images don't work for the weapons, but whats the big deal about that anyway...)

This has some of the file you will need in order to GM a fallout game or to give to your GM. And yes I had to do that writing peice for school

L

Landkiller

Dark Tira, I don't really consider my friends pathetic, I didn't mean to imply that. They're nice guys, my brother even likes anime, but I do consider watching anime a pathetic activity, because everything I have seen bites. I could as easily make fun of bad movies or anything else, it's just that for some reason, some people are anime fans. No one is a bad movie fan, except to make fun of it like MST3K used to. Anime fans don't make fun of the shows, but consider them cool. Pokemon was a really bad example to give, because no one likes it(I hope and pray), but the others stand. I know people who like DBZ and Sailor Moon, shows I consider pretty tasteless. And all anime I've seen does have bad art and frame rates, coupled with randomly disappearing backgrounds and abuse of light shows, which is what I consider cheesy. Bad dubbing is pretty universal, but I don't speak Japanese. Do you? If you don't then you can't exactly look past the bad dubbing, or translations. The horrific voice actors...aaagh!Now, as for Princess Mononoke, I've never heard of it, until Copious and you replied about it. Unfortunately, I probably won't see it, mostly because I'm not willing to pay and buy it. If it fell out of the sky and landed on my TV, I would watch it because just to find out if it's any good. Now I've seen brief segments of other anime TV shows, but haven't watched them enough to say anything but that they support my position about bad artwork. The movies, I've only seen that stupid Street Fighter thing and the Vampire Hunter.

Rifts had a cool story, and would have been fun to play if it was easy to learn. Maybe I had a bad teacher, but it just stomped up and down on me and my friends. We gave up after about an hour. The books' authors seem to put every word down as they think of it and not in any particular order. We probably should have used more basic rules, because I remember having to look through six or more books to find my items to buy, because there was no big lists or indexes telling you where to find things. All I can say about that game is the books were poorly designed. The combat system and character generation, as well as the magic were out of my league to learn. RCCs and whatever else. One of my friends loves the game, but he really couldn't communicate how to do it well, and the books weren't easy to use.

L

Landkiller

For Rifts, I mean to say an hour of playing after the four hours of character generation.

R

Riva Iron-Grip

landkiller. i agree with you that rifts trully sucks. D&D is the only best rpg out there really. now white wolf is pretty cool.
Anime
Anime is the best. some of the best include Princess Monoke, Wrath of the Ninja, Record of Lodos War, Bastard, BattleAngel. The ones that suck are Pokemon, DBZ, Sailor Moon.
go check out some of these and tell me what you think.

B

Bob

I agree with Landkiller on some points. DBZ sucks. As Pokemon and Sailer Moon.
I used to like Porke-mon, but I don't anymore. I watched Sailer Moon when I was about 3, and I watched DBZ at 9 and 10.
One thing is that I have never noticed a fat, lazy, Garfield(Not Richard)-like character. They are all filled with energy, and Either super-strong or fit.
Now tell me there are no Overweight, lazy people on Earth. I am. Maybe in Japan, but What about Sumo Wrestlers?
I was never a big DBZ fan, even when I watched it. The episodes were all the same, with little guys with big hair beating up each other.:p
And there are good American cartoons. Looney Tunes is better than Dubbed Anime, and I bet you all agree..
The Simpsons is THE best TV show. It has everything. If you have never seen the Simpsons, I pity you...
I close: the only thing good that came from Anime, that I know of(Keep in mind I have never seen real Anime) is The "Dragonball" attack on Worms Armageddon
Dubbed anime::p

[Edited by Bob on 10-27-00 at 08:19 AM]

B

Baskil

I agree with you on most points, except on the anime thing. I'm not a huge fan of anime or anything, but I have seen my fair share of it. While most of it is pretty cheesy (Project A-Ko) or terrible (Maison Ikoku), there are some really excellent animes out there. In no order, if you haven't seen these already, here are some that you should check out:
Vampire Hunter D
Grave of the Fireflies
Princess Mononoke
Ninja Scroll
The Bastard

Now, on Rifts :) The reason Rifts sucks is very complex. For one, I actually like the core rules. I like the original idea for the story and such. However, a man named C.J. Carella ruined Rifts. If you have any doubt, look at sourcebooks that he wrote vs. any of the others. I'll give you time...

Notice a difference? The number system used in one book doesn't match up to any of the other books. For instance, the obscene Cosmo-Knight O.C.C. from Phaseworld. Compare that to the main book Knight. Ooh, he gets a 1d6 MDC sword... eventually. The power level in rifts is so high, I imagine if a PC gets killed, there would be a small nuclear explosion where his body was. Also, the idea of the first book is solid. Have a sparse setting, when people are afraid to leave their villages because there is vast openness and monsters out there. Now, with over 40 world books out there (With Rifts:Crimea and Rifts:Tiahuana coming soon), the world is about the size of a thimble. How can a person living in the Japanese Republic see the Zone as being a far away place when the Borgs from that place can get there in 10 minutes?

Oh, and Riva, there are other 'best rpg's out there other than D&D. But that's in another thread ;)

R

Riva Iron-Grip

i am talking about what i've played.i know there are better ones, but i haven't played em yet

Melkor

I always found the Rifts rules to be plenty simple. I have two big gripes though with the whole system, the first being the MDC and SDC difference. Its too big. How are you supposed to get in fist fights when you're always scared that some random guy will pull out 1d6 MDC pistol and blow you to smithereens? The other big gripe is basically CJ. God damn, didn't anybody higher up look at South America 2? It seems these random kingdoms have better technology than Triax, Japan, or the Coalition. Even the mainly magic civilization has better power armor. But in general the power level has gone up since the first book, I mean its like magic cards, you have to encourage people to buy the new books by making things better than they were in the past. Still though, some books are more insane than others.

Anyway, I don't think that there are any systems out there that are just plain better than D&D (3rd ed.), there are systems that might suit your style of play better, but in terms of functionality, I haven't met anything that just plain out beats D&D.

C

Copious Wrath

Actually, Landkiller, there is a *very* good dub of Princess Mononoke that should be avalible to rent at most larger video stores. And when I say very good, I mean it's just as good as most Disney movies in voice acting quality.

C

Copious Wrath

Oh, and I seem to have forgotten to mention that you're basing the entire 'anime is cheesy' point on some of the worse examples of anime out there. Anime cut for american television will *always* lose quite a bit of what makes it good in the process. Except for Pokemon, where there wasn't anything to begin with.

D

Darsh

Anime
Take everyone's advice and see some good anime, a long time ago they used to show pretty good anime on Sci-Fi late at night on Saturdays, but I don't think they do that anymore (It might be early Sundays now) It got me hooked on anime, my first anime was Galaxy Express 999:) and I remember them showing some other really cool ones like Vampire Hunter D. (got that one on tape:))

BTW I got my name from Bastard:)

C

Copious Wrath

They ain't playing anime on the Sci-Fi channel anymore. Which really, really sucks.

D

Darsh

Dang, I always stayed up to watch it even when they moved to 1:00 am in the morning.:(

I can't live without my daily anime fix.:)

C

Copious Wrath

I've learned to adapt to not being able to get daily anime. It's not much fun, but it's possible.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Saying that anime sucks because of dubbed DBZ, Sailor Moon, and Pokémon is like saying that Magic sucks because of Shelkin Brownie, Karplusan Giant, and Goblin Hero.