cycle of sac lands

D

Doombringer

CARDNAME
land
(T): add (colour) to your mana pool
(T), sac CARDNAME: add (colour)(colour) to your mana pool

just an idea I had for a cycle of lands, I'm mostly just wondering if this idea is feasable, broken, or has been done before.

A

Aneximines

There's a cycle of land that come into play tapped with those abilities in print (Dwarven Ruins, Ebon Stronghold, Havenwood Battleground, Ruins of Trokair, and Svyelunite Temple). They're pretty weak because they come in tapped, but without that drawback they're just better than basic lands. You could follow the example of the Kamigawa lands like Eiganjo Castle and make the lands legendary. Even then they would be quite strong; some decks can make lethal use of a few extra mana early in the game, and most free, explosive sources of mana are restricted or banned. (bans and restrictions may not apply in casual games, but I think they're good points of reference for making new cards)

N

Notepad

Yeah, they've been done before. Aneximines mentioned 5 of the 6. Mirage or Visions had one, called Crystal Vein I believe, which came into play untapped, but both abilities were for colorless mana.

And Aneximines, you are quite wrong on the power level. These lands alone catapulted the Oblivion deck to Tier One status back in the day of IPA Standard. Imagine, a turn-four Obliterate? All thanks to these lands. Sac for the double mana and not care, since everything's going, anyway. It was an awesome deck.

No way these things can come into play untapped, though. Even the colorless Crystal Vein showed that untapped two mana gotten immediately is a huge, almost broken, advantage. Even legendary, these things would be too powerful untapped.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Personally, I have always liked the Mercadian depletion counter lands (Remote Farm, Saprazzan Skerry, Peat Bog, Sandstone Needle, Hickory Woodlot).

N

Notepad

Yes, if memory serves correctly, the Obliterate deck from IPA Standard used the sac lands reprinted in 6E, the Masques depletion lands, and the IPA sac lands to incredible effect. Every land in the deck able to make 2 mana. Quite fast and deadly!

I liked the depletion lands, too. Double mana twice rather than once like the sac lands. Though, they forced you to lose them. At least the sac lands could be used repeatedly for one mana if you needed to do so.