Crucified Nun Dies in 'Exorcism'

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's what I heard also, but like you, just "heard" and haven't really read about it myself.

I think that's also what the wisdom were used for, chomping plants rich in celluose.

And for evan_d, it is a problem if it stays in when you develop appendicitis. It's no problem if it's removed.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
And for evan_d, it is a problem if it stays in when you develop appendicitis. It's no problem if it's removed.
It's mostly no problem if it's removed. It can potentially lead to bowel obstructions. This is not because the appendix is missing, but because intrusive surgeries in which the bowels are handled can cause obstructions.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Right, but the fact that the organ is missing itself doesn't cause any problems (I mean, any surgery can cause problems).

E

evan d

While I wasmwing the lawn today I was thinking of this thread. From an evolutionary standpoint, although this is an advantage to not having superfluous organs, what would the appendix be replaced by? Dead air?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Basically. It's not as though the space remains exactly as it was. The entrails probably slide encroach on that space a bit...

D

DarthFerret

Ok, a little late on the reply here, but from what I understand, the appendix is a crutial part of a childs anatomy, and if removed before puberty, certain hormonal drugs are needed to insure proper adult develpoment. I have not checked the validity of this, but I am pretty sure I heard is somewhere, therefore, if true, it cannot be weeded out by evolution because it is needed at some point in a persons life.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
There are people who believe that, but so far I've only heard that there is absolutely no evidence for such claims. It sounds like propaganda...

D

DarthFerret

Ok, I can see the point there, but even in the evolution of a human body, wouldn't it be more probable that Wisdom teeth get weeded out generations before a minor ORGAN like the appendix? If so, then perhaps, several generations down the road, the appendix will start becoming weeded out as well...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret said:
Ok, I can see the point there, but even in the evolution of a human body, wouldn't it be more probable that Wisdom teeth get weeded out generations before a minor ORGAN like the appendix?
What's your reasoning for that? It would depend on mutations and heredity for either one...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Since humans still have wisdom teeth and appendixes, either seem a candidate to get "weeded out" first. I'm not sure why you think wisdom teeth should go before the appendix...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
I'm not sure why you think wisdom teeth should go before the appendix...
Well, if the genes that control one are fewer or less stable or something, then there could be good reason for such a hypothosis. I don't know enough about genetics to tell whether that is the case...

D

DarthFerret

To me, the debate all hinges on whether or not we still "need" the appendix as children. I heard that we do, but others say that we do not. If a thing is needed, it cannot be weeded out. As for wisdom teeth. As long as we do not go back to ripping the leaves off of trees or grass out of the ground, i think the need for them is pretty much gone.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul said:
Well, if the genes that control one are fewer or less stable or something, then there could be good reason for such a hypothosis. I don't know enough about genetics to tell whether that is the case...
I don't know enough about genetics either, but it seems to me that by this time, the "lesser stable" one should have started to diminish or shrink. It doesn't seem to be the case for either of them so I think they're here to stay, unneeded as they are.

T

train

wow - all this from a dead nun...

I was looking for any follow-up on the article - were any charges filed?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Dead Nuns, evolution..... I can see the connection...... hehe

BTW - Does anyone on this thred even understand the theory of evolution?
It has nothing to do with "getting rid of" useless traits or pieces of the anatomy.
And yes learning can be passed down and become part of the evolutionary process (mankind is a good example).... higher intellegence usually equates to higher survival rates.....

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
One person (Darthferret) thought that evolution "weeds out" unnecessary traits, and I think has since been informed otherwise.