Criminal...

T

train

Q: "A friend of mine claimed he purchased Mirrodin cards at a store long before the prerelease. How did this happen?"
--Doug Tompkins

A: From Joe Hauck, VP of Wizards-Owned TCG Brands:
"Some of you may be aware of reports that claimed a few retailers had received and were selling Mirrodin product well before the Mirrodin Prerelease tournaments. Those reports were true.

"We at Wizards of the Coast believe that one of the strengths of the Magic: The Gathering trading card game is the fact that it is a global product. As such, we make a very large investment of time and resources to achieve a simultaneous launch of each new release into the 70+ markets that support sanctioned play of Magic. It was within this Herculean effort that a loophole was discovered and exploited by individuals for their own personal gain at the expense of all those hard-working individuals who support our efforts for global releases. Unfortunately, although the amount of product that was sold early was minimal, the impact on the perception of players, retailers and distributors was substantial. As a result, Wizards of the Coast is taking the following steps to change this perception:

"1. We have amended our internal logistical practices to close the aforementioned loophole in an effort to prevent this from happening to Magic or any of our other TCG's that we treat as global products.

"2. Our agents purchased Mirrodin product at several locations. These locations have been noted and we will ensure that Wizards of the Coast no longer provides to them the level of support that stores which adhere to our official street dates receive.

"3. We are looking through all of our legal options to determine what further action may be taken.

"I would like to apologize for any inconveniences and hard feelings created as a result of this incident. It is our intention and hope that through the above stated actions we will not only prevent this incident from happening again, but also discourage others from engaging in this type of activity in the future. The future of Magic depends on everyone having the same goal: creating product and services that provide consumers with optimal enjoyment."

Exactly What I was talking about when Isty was posting the Mirrodin threads... but you all mentioned he was taking them from the spoiler...

If something is going to go wrong - it should be wrong by everyone...

if something is going to go right - it should be right by everyone....

N

Nightstalkers

Oh well, seems like all these packs I got at about 45% discount for advertising are just illegal merchandise...

Now if only I can get all those mirrodin posters off of everyones houses...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
train: What are you saying? That Isty got his info from other places than the spoiler? I thought he said himself he was getting it from the spoiler...

Not sure what you're trying to get at here... are you blaming/accusing WOTC of unfairness or the retailers who cheated?

T

train

Okay - to make sure I hadn't missed something...

I went through Isty's posts... and the way they were worded "I was at the pre-release and all I got was this stupid..."
I also looked to see if he mentined anything about this being an observation on a spoiler... nothing found...

There've alredy been reports of a shop or 2 not doing the right thing in the Dallas area - and i actually read it as there having been a pre-release before-hand.

what I was getting at was that if the cards were going to be released to any distributors more than a few days before the release... or pre-release(in which case the cards should have come from WoTC), then they should be out for everyone... all at the same time...

though I do understand - that compromises the release date...

I am blaming the retailers who cheated... It's not right that they corner the Mirrodin market by having cards before-hand and for sale... hopefully WoTC does take legal action against them...

This could also turn around and cause some cheating just at the pre-releases... cards out beforehand - build a strong deck - do well - win more...

I really thought about this more after Isty's posts - though giving him the benefit of the doubt - he didn't mention where he got his view from... I was just looking at the title of the thread...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I guess only Isty can clear that up then...

I was hoping you were blaming the retailers - I couldn't see how WOTC could be blamed for it. :)

T

train

My original statement was kind of vague...:rolleyes:

But that's the reason why in Isty's threads, I kept saying it wasn't out yet...

This stuff happens all the time - you just hope you can control it...

but even then - there's always the power of money...

and i don't believe WoTC would shut down a distributor... they're already cracking down on net-only businesses... which in my mind - is somewhat okay...

but all shutting a distributor down would do is raise the price in the excluded market, and cause a loss of sales...

either way I also hope Isty can clear this up...

E

EricBess

Without saying too much, I have additional information than what was posted on the WotC website and I can say with asuredy that the retail store in question was not located in the Texas area. It is possible that there was more than one "cheater" out there, but as high profile as doing something like this is, I think the odds are against it.

T

train

EricBess... when you say "the retail store in question..."

WoTC had mentioned "retailers"

Is there only 1 you know of - if I may ask... not looking for any other details...:)

E

EricBess

That's why I mentioned that it is possible that there is more than one. However, I suspect they may have said "retailers" to keep it general. There is only one that I am aware of, but the effect of that one was pretty well felt.

T

train

Anyone besides EB - don't want to get him in trouble - hear of which store/s this might have been?...