...CPA...

A

Almindhra

I am posting this here because I don't feel that my statements would be welcomed on the "Founders/dedicated CPA Members, read this !!" article...I read it, and, it made me very upset...

Yes, I am new to the CPA...( only a few days )...And I thought I was welcomed into this...As you know, a friend of mine referred me to this site, and, from the opening page, I thought this would be a welcoming place for people...And I posted in New Members and many people were nice and welcomed me...But, now I read these posts about where the CPA is headed and how its so disorganized, complain, complain, bitch, bitch, bitch...Oh, and I love being stereotyped into a category of "slackers" or "pro", bith of which are "evil", I don't know which one you catagorized me in because you really don't know much about me and therefore I don't like that you can make assumptions...Anyway, I see that there is a purpose to this cite...

But no one who is a head master of the CPA came to me and said "Hey, we may need some help against the wrath of WoTC"...No, all I get as a new member is how terrible I am because I'm lazy and I haven't been here from the start...I'm not saying that I'm all down on the founders, no, I really admire you guys for setting up the foundation for what can be a great organization of people...

You have my email address...You could have said something to me...I know theres over 100 people here, but you can easily send out some sort of email if thats what it takes to get people's attention...

But, overall, I feel that things are very hostile and unwelcoming, and if thats the way its going to be, I'll just go back to mtgnews...

F

FoundationOfRancor

This isnt cool, we should create a mail addres and have everybody put there emial address down so we can forward important stuff. MAybe. I dont know.

O

Ophidian

All of this talk about getting organized is very recent. In fact, that article is just about how to decide to get organized. So if it feels like there is a hostile atmosphere, I'll be the first to say that this is not what we were trying to do, to anybody.

I believe that the CPA is a haven for the casual players, and personally, I have always felt welcome here. But with this influx of new members, some have felt the need to become a little more organized in order to express our views more clearly to WotC.

Please don't think that you are unwelcome here just because you haven't been here for long. Neither have I. I think someone else summed it up nicely when he said the CPA is going through an "adolecent crisis". The best thing that anyone could do right now is say your opinion.

Just remember that everyone is welcome here.

"Except for those PT players and pokebrats!" j/k :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Whoa! Almindhra, I'm not sure how you read all of that into Albert's article! To me it was just laying out points of what the CPA needed to do if it wanted to get "serious" with its original purpose. I didn't feel it was slamming *anyone*, pros or casuals.

Just curious, have you read all of the threads on every board? If you have, I'm sure you'd get a sense of how this site evolved: from giddy elation in the beginning about actually getting started to little concerns about the progress of the site to just talk about things in general.

I'm not sure if you've picked upon it but I generally disagree with the majority of the CPA's views: from the Dark Ritual banning (I'm generally neutral although I can see why they did it) to Waylay errata (I'm for) to 6th rules (I'm for). Yet I'm still here, posting away... personally, I think that if EVERYONE here agrees on everything then there'd be no reason to talk! In other words, just because you disagree with things here, don't feel unaccepted and feel you have to leave. We haven't run Gizmo out and he's a self-proclaimed pro to the core.

D

Dune Echo

Hey, Almindra, I'm a "Founder" here and I put this forward, we aren't slamming you. You've just started here and you aren't categorized. I think Albert was just posting some the personality categories he's noticed. I'm quite sure he didn't mean you in particular. Heck, you haven't posted enough for me to even get a feel for what kind of player you are.

If anyone, Albert was referring to someone like me. When I first got here, I was one of the most vocal when it came to WotC's handling of errata and pros and other things. I did emails, I wrote articles, I posted my butt off with a lot of others here, but recently, I've not minded the way things are going in Magic. I don't go to tournaments and so I can't really complain about something I choose not to involve myself in. I'm just saying, hold on a sec. I'm sure Albert was not pointing any fingers and he's just trying to motivate some of us to start the Voting Booth back up and stuff like that.

Where's Ferret when we need him?

T

The Magic Jackal

Hey, I don't know if anyone has noticed, but i've been gone for a couple of days. What's with this hostile enviroment? What did i miss?

You leave for a couple days, and everything breaks apart.....

Killer Joe

It's called "passionate discussions", and we're NOT fighting. A few well intended members want the CPA to evolve into an even more organized site than it already is, and that's good. And some individuals are labling CPA members into (what might be misconstrewed) catagories that aren't correct.
Seriously folks, these discussions are starting to divide us and people are taking sides. As of THIS post I will not <spam> anymore about getting this site more organized. I've said enough.

D

Dune Echo

Okay, so instead of anyone taking sides, those that want to do, do. It's that simple. On the outside, people can start getting proactive. But nothing has to change the feel of the site. All that really can be changed is the front page. We can still all be the back-alley rebels we want to be! :) No one is being forced to be involved in writing articles, no one has to submit a vote if they don't want to, but everyone gets a voice if they want to take it. That's the rule here.

Everyone has their say. That doesn't change.

However, I'd like the newbies, the "Founders," and anyone else to say what they want from this site. I gotta go. Later.

T

The Magic Jackal

"Paradigm, proactive, aren't these just words that dumb people use to sound smart?....I'm fired aren't I?"
-The Simpsons

Sorry, Just had to write that after i saw Duel use Proactive. I do think that we should not change. Dissorganization is good, very good...As for choosing sides, The magic jackal does not choose sides, he merely kills who he whishes. HAHAHAHAHAHA :cool:

[Edited by The Magic Jackal (04-14-2000 at 09:17 PM).]

[Edited by The Magic Jackal (04-14-2000 at 09:18 PM).]

A

Almindhra

Ok, ok...I'm not upset anymore...But statistics are a very powerful tool, and should only be used if you at least state the margin error percentage or know that it is fully accurate...( I know, I know, too much AP Gov't )...

It just seemed like a harsh article...because I'm new here and I go to tournys...Yeah, I have a Replenish deck...And I'm planning on going to a big tournament in Ohio this summer...So, is that really against the establishment?...I am a casual player at heart...Thats why I do so bad in tournys...People intimidate me with their wacky fake outs and obnoxious twitching and card shuffling...But anyway....

I do enjoy posting here...And I do check frequently and try to include my own opinion where I can...I even checked really old postings, to see if maybe I could post something new...

But, I'd really like to help out with this cite...And if you ever need anyone who truly knows a lot about the game, I have someone who could help you write articles or whatever...I've mentioned the CPA to him, maybe he'll join soon....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm... okay, I don't want to start any arguments and such so don't take this personally (and I'm probably the last person who should be talking about this anyway) but...

I think the idea behind the word "casual" and how it applies here is that the people generally try to avoid the recognized top tier decks and work on developing "rogue" decks that use underutilized cards. I guess something along the lines of Dune Echo's articles in the Deck section.

I'm NOT saying that now you can't come here and post because you use a Replenish deck and go to tourneys. Heck, Gizmo also goes and posts regularly too. And he and others can probably help with your decks. But I think people will agree in that they don't want the deck clinic or other forums on this board to be taken over by "pro talk". That's all...

Keep it cas... ;)

T

The Magic Jackal

For God's sake people, it's just a game! Who the hell cares what deck you use? Who the hell cares if you play in tournaments or not? It's just a game, It's ment to be FUN! Everyone say it with me....FUN. That's all that matters, is that you have fun while playing the game. It doesn't matter if you are a casual player or not, as long as you enjoy the game.

Killer Joe

Quick! Someone shoot the Magic Jackal while\'s he\'s \"Off the Deep end\"! I would if I weren\'t already dead, Quick, I say!!!!!!!!!AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....<the ghost of Yellowjacket screams back into the night>

T

The Magic Jackal

I\'d kill you again Zadok, if i weren\'t out of arrows. Why don\'t you sign up for the game of tag, and well see who wins, hahahahahahahah

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oops, I didn't know you had an actual "Tag" game going on (or being set up) on the Battle Boards. I thought you were talking actual, physical type games.