CPA Voting Issues: Best Set

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I did go ahead and change something though. I thought about it and realized that if we have 20 expansions to date, and a 20 item limit for the Voting Booth, it made sense to post it as a vote for the favorite expansion set, and include ALL the expansions in the voting. I'll do a separate vote for favorite basic set in a couple weeks, and include stuff like Chronicles and Unglued in that.

Sound good?

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
That's alright. I did it anyway :D.

I did exclude Unglued, Portal, and Starter, since they're not really part of the Basic sets. Maybe we can fit Unglued in as a separate topic (i.e. Should WotC print Unglued II?).

Thoughts?

P

Purple_jester

TomB, you'll have to define what exactly you mean by: "best set." There's a big difference between best set, favorite set, most balanced set, most powerful set, best set for a certain color, most broken set, best set for the tournament environment, and best casual play set.

If you'll notice the posts of this thread, everbody is naming a different set of criteria when they define "best set." Unless this is what you're looking for, perhaps you could clarify what exactly you mean by best set.

Just a thought, mind you.

Oh, and in my opinion, the best set overall is Tempest. If you're talking expansion, it's definitely Visions. My favorite? Arabian Nights. I started with that set.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Purple_jester, I didn't include any other limitations because what I thought we were interested in was what we felt was the Best Set, regardless of the reasons. What you said about everyone's differing criteria is very true, and maybe later we can sub-divide it further into "Best Set for Casual Play?", "Best Set from a Tournament Perspective", "Most Broken Set?", etc., but for now (coming from an earlier discussion we had on it) it seemed like a better idea to keep it kinda' general.

The discussion in the thread here serves to expand upon what the results of the voting show, and you're right, maybe we DO need to break it down a little more, especially in cases like this.

Hmmm...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
TomB: You probably should have included Unglued, Portal, and Starter just because they really have no place to go (or at least Unglued either here or on the previous poll).

But I have no opinion on Unglued II. Just for the heck of it, I'll say "Sure! Print it!" :D

T

The Kuzya

Hmmm, its tough. I started around the time of Legacy and I've been playing type 2 so i dont really know any of the older sets, except when my type 1 friends use a bit of tempest block. Urza's Saga i think has a lot of good well rounded cards and I like destiny because i almost have all the cards (im money tight remember) but id have to say my fav is nemesis because that was when i really got into magic and i remember my g/b modified replicator deck beating the best magic player in my school. Later ppl

S

Sleepy

i started playing only a little whils ago but my favorite is prophesy

S

Sleepy

so what's so great about chronicles?

[Edited by Sleepy on August 22nd, 2000 at 04:17 AM]

N

nanokill

my favorite is the prophecy set. lots of big creatures, useful spellshapers and good side bood cards

Ciao for now

S

Stangg

How about Legends let see mana drain, moat, the abyss, and my personal favorite card of all time mirror universe.

R

rakso

For some reason, the most memorable set for me was Alliances. I liked the art, the cards in general, a lot of the rares, and it even had gold cards. I even grabbed funny cards like Lim-Dul's Paladin, Thoughtlash and Keeper of Tresserhorn for my stupid card collection.

T

Turtlewax Joe

I like 3 different sets, so here they are in order from #1-#3...

1)The Dark (don't ask)

2)Ice Age (so much cool stuff)

3)Tempest (where would my slivers come from)

B

Bladefall

Ice Age! Polar Kraken man!! Thats big beef right there! Besides Ice Age, I really like Tempest.

H

HumanError

I've gotta say Tempest. I mean, having a complete set sure helped me get in touch with it, but people, I've been playing for years and every deck I make seems to wind up getting some Tempest weaseled into it. There are almost no cards in Tempest that aren't worth using at least once.

I mean, I make use of Mongrel Pack and Field of Souls on a regular basis. Altar of Dementia is holy. Dregs of Sorrow is an incredibly fun scrub card (I actually drew myself out with one, once). It's just a cool set with a lot of really fun cards. Sure it screwed with the environment a lot, but when the dust settled and a couple sets piled on top of it, it just became a whole lotta fun.