CPA Idea?

Killer Joe

Alright then, here's one for the books:

...ahem.....(this one's for you Burg).

One day at my local store (Centerfield Comics in Endicott, NY -I used to live there) we had a draft. There were a lot of local Gurus there and I, being a newbie scrub and all, was taking the plunge into the world of drafting. I believe the format was anything from Mirage to Stronghold and 5th. Edition too. Anyhoo, I bought one Mirage pack and two Visions pack (great drafting set), my friend had bought a Mirage pack and yadda-yadda-yadda. He said, "My Hammer of Bogarden is right here in this pack", Hammer of What? We open the packs (Mirage first) I don't really know how to draft yet but I know that creatures were a must, "...mmmm....Mtenda Lion, Femeref Herder, hammer of something, ah yes, a big fat creature (I cannot for the life of me remember what it was now, surpressed memory I suppose). "PASS!", was called, now from what I can remember .... to be continued.....

This is Yellowjacket

[Edited by Yellowjacket (01-17-2000 at 02:11 PM).]

Killer Joe

......okay, was was I? Ah yes, "PASS!", was called, simple enough. I passed to my left 14 cards and then I hear, "Oh my God!", the following is only what I think I remember: "...what the hell were you thinking?!?" (insert red face) Me: ".....?!?!!!!!...." Well as I'm sure you can imagine that when the guy to my left plucked and displayed victouriously the "Hammer of Bogarden" out of that pack, everyone knew he would win that night. He DID win that night.

"Magic Goof"? ...uhuh...

Moral of the story?
Open pack / pick rare or extremely broken uncommon / then start picking cards for your deck.

C'mon, I know there is a better TRUE story out there somewhere.

This is Yellowjacket

Z

Zadok001

Once upon a time, I was playing a rather long, drawn out duel. I had a Masticore, which was effective keeping my opponent under control, but I wasn't getting it through for damage, and was basically 'Core locked, with one cards in hand.

I drew Corrupt. I already had 7 swamps, and my opponent was only at 8! Wonderful! Unfortunetely, I need to take out a flier my opponent just played or die next turn. So, I use Masticore, taking it out. But I can't play Corrupt this turn! Damn!

So, I come up with what I'm going to do. I'll discard my non-Corrupt card in hand next turn, draw a card, and keep that in my hand to pay for the 'Core, and cast Corrupt.

My next turn.

Untap.
Upkeep, discard card to 'Core.
Draw.
Play Corrupt for 7.
Say go.
Swear like a madman.

On the next turn, I discard the Swamp I'd drawn to Masticore.

Q

Quill

Hello guys, I was wondering what some of you experienced guys thought of posting articles or messages about "Magic Goofs" These could be things a new player could learn from, as they get a grasp of the game. Goofs could be anything from: in game mistakes, deck construction follies, overconfident goofs, premature scooping when there was a chance to win, mistakes in buying cards, anything to give a few pointers and maybe even a few laughs :) I'm sure you guys have stories. What dop you think?

PS does CPA have an official irc channel?..if so what is the channel nick and what server?

Quill

Killer Joe

Okay, here's another one, more recently.

Even though I'm committed to casual play, I still went to a PTQ.
I'm playing "Counter-Sliver" and he's playing some variation on Enduring Renewal/Goblin Bombardment deck. He plops down a Worship and he's at 1, I plop down a Worship, I'm was at 20+ but he kept sacing all his BoP's (his ONLY 3 creatures in play)and then re-casts them dealing me 3 to 6 damage a turn and now has me down to low single digits. All the while I have an Acidic Sliver in play with a lot of Sliver tokens from my Queen.

-Get it?-

In response to him re-casting the Bop's I could've sac'd a Sliver token using the Acidic Slivers ability: Each Sliver gains: "2:Sac this creature to deal 2 damage to target creature or player." He didn't have any creatures in play until he could cast his BoP's.
I didn't catch on until after about five or six turns, DUHHHHHHH!
Time was up, it would've been a draw.

Whew!

This is Yellowjacket.

Killer Joe

................(rapidly tapping fingernail on desk)...........................now come on..............there are extremely funny and humiliating mistakes in game play out there and YOUUUUUUU know it. I'm sure someone out there did the classic:
Turn 1: City of Brass, Ghazbahn Ogre.
Turn 2: Dohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

or

Pyroblast blast a hugh Red spell.

or

Pass up a Hammer of Bogarden in a draft......oh, wait,....no one is THAT stupid ;^P

There are more bloopers out worthy of exposure for all to laugh and poke fun at, right? I mean, this IS CPA, who cares. I have a sense of humor, how about you?

For now, this is Yellowjacket.

T

theorgg

ok. this isn't exacty a goof, though it is pretty pathetic.

this was a few years ago, Mirage had just came out, and on it's heels, 5th. first turn: I draw three toss elves(elvish spirit guide), four Gazzbahhn Ogres(Gazzy Gazbahhn). I say "I have no land, but I keep."
he say's I'm crazy. he goes first: forest.
I draw ANOTHER TOSS ELF and throw down FOUR gazzys!!

his next turn: moutain, death spark.

end of game.

:{ P

I

Istanbul

Oh, I have a good one of my own.

I'm playing blue control. Type 1 tournament. I have a Morphling in play, and my opponent is combining Cursed Scroll and Stormbind to great effect. He's hitting me for 4 a turn, but I'm hitting him for 5, and I'll kill him before he kills me.

He draws. He plays a Red Elemental Blast on my Morphling. I swear, and scoop.

Hey, did you know Morphling could become untargetable?

*sigh*

Oh well. :)

T

The Magic Jackal

Ok, here's mine. This actualy wasn't too bad, but I felt like an idiot because of it.

Last December I went to my first DCI sanctioned tourny (It just happened to be a PTQ!) Anyway the format was MM sealed deck, so I got my cards and built my deck. I wasn't very familiar with MM cards, so I really didn't know what the good cards were, I passed up putting a waterfront bouncer in my deck, but that's no the stupid part. The first game I played my opponent was playing blue/red. First game he cast a Flailing soldier on the first turn. Second turn I cast a vine trellis instead of killing him. After that he continued to kill me with the soldiar, all the time i didn't know I could activacte the abbility. It was only after the game when he told me I could have killed it did I realize how stupid I was. Second game I Put a inviobility on my vine trellis, put out a general'a regalia and was invincible. Thrid game I play squall monger and kill all of his precious flying people. I felt better about myself after I beat him.

Killer Joe

ONE last story from me.
One day in Teletubby land, aka, Endicott, NY, I was playing in a local tourney, which by the they way, reside a great number of spectacular players: the Kaiser, Burg, Eli, Rory, just to name a few, they were all there and I showed up with my....what?.....everybody say it, a "Five-Color Green" deck, right. Anyhoo, I'm beating down somebody who's playing blue with my River Boa, (b-b-b-b-b-b-beatdown), and they plop down Nevy's Disk. Boom, it goes off next turn, bam! there goes my Boa. But, heh-heh-heh, I have another River Boa to cast and miraculously he couldn't counte it. Yet another Disk hits the board and there goes my River Boa...........

Folks, who aren't catching on, a River Boa can regenerate from a disk going off!

.....arrrrrrrrgh,.....KAHN!!!!!!!
(trek spoof)

Please for the love of the game, don't let this happen to you!

This is Yellowjacket
-I need a signature card, like Orgg or repopulate or I Shade. Killer Bees maybe?

T

theorgg

hell, you don't need a card.
just whate. the'll make a nest of yellowjackets.

either that or one of the "untap if blocked" soldiers from ninisnsnansninsn...
the new set will have yellow coats on...
ranting. sorry...

sic semper,

Ferret

Staff member
How about Killer Bees? It's close to a Yellowjacket...

-ferret

"pumpable and Green! YUM!"